collapse

Advertisement

Linked Events

• 1st day:Spring TURKEY huntin!: April 15, 2009

Author Topic: Spring season TURKEY  (Read 7380 times)

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Spring season TURKEY
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 09:41:04 AM »
I have some questions for those who hunt turkeys on the westside.  Answers on or off list.

First I live in Porter and was thinking about scouting the hill, however I have never seen turkeys in these forests.  I am not sure what I should be looking for?  I know where we lived in Idaho there were turkeys frequently near the river where it was a combination of brushy with good roosting trees and open fields.  The only wild turkey's I have seen on the westside were walking down the road on the south end of Camano Island  :dunno:

My husband and son went turkey hunting in the klickitat saw plenty all on private land  :chuckle:.

I am completely new to this and the men in my house seem to think it is a waste of time trying to find wetside turkeys, I see it as a challenge BUT to increase my chances of even seeing some scat I could use some help.  I'm good at finding grouse, haven't hunted them but I usually find them if I go looking.

Thanks in advance to anyone with words of wisdom for this total newby.

There are easterns throughout the Black Hills.....but they are extremely difficult to locate and hunt.  There is approximately 91,000 acres in the Black Hills area, with turkeys scattered in small pockets....like looking for a needle in a haystack.  Best advice is to spend LOTS of time walking roads and spurs looking fpr droppings.  Once you find some stay on the sign till season and hunt the sign....as you may not hear or see any birds depending on vegetation.  Turkey sounds do not carry in Western Washington habitats like they do on the open eastside areas.
Westside eastern hunting is as tough as it gets, unless you put the time in and locate pockets of birds....then have the patience to hunt them without responses and vocalization in most cases....not all.  If you get proficient at hunting these easterns over here, killing Merriams and Rio's is almost as simple as buying a bird at Safeway.

Thanks

Offline Yummy and Tasty Animal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Spring season TURKEY
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 01:40:14 PM »
I'm going turkey hunting for the first time this year and I'm doing it with a bow.  I've been shooting a bow ever since I was 11 or so, but I've never went hunting with one.  I'm bringing a shotgun just in case the bow hunting doesn't work out though...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]