collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2014/2015 season synopsis...  (Read 2002 times)

Offline 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
2014/2015 season synopsis...
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:58:42 AM »
We concentrated on hunting new ground this year, in hopes if getting into chukar and huns. In our first 4 years of hunting, we typically stayed low, hunting river valleys, fields and the desert, finding quail and the occasional wild pheasant. I really wanted to test our abilities this year, get high (as in elevation) and see new turf. We did exactly that and it was a ton of fun. Here is what we learned:

*Shoot more often - I typically don't shoot the shot gun I carry during the season out side of the season. We paid the price for this. It was so bad, we didn't connect on any birds until yesterday, the last day of the season! I am still not 100% shooting left handed, I need to nail that down.

*Don't be afraid to pull out a map, find a spot that looks good and jump in the truck - We did this several times this year and were rewarded with bird encounters each and every time. It feels really good when you find a spot that holds birds, on your own.

*Hunt as many times as you can (no trip is too short) - We have two kids, both 2 and under. As hard as it was to squeeze excursions into the schedule, it made a huge difference in my attitude and our dog's fitness level and temperament. We hunted about half as much last season and both myself and our dog were grump-butts! Sometimes this year we drove 3 hours each way to hunt for 2 and will continue to do this if we have to

*Stay with it! - As hard as it was to miss so many shots, we kept at it. Although we didn't bring home birds until the last day of the season, we always were thankful for the day in the field and the gorgeous scenery we experienced. Truck rides home were about reflection and the excitement of bird encounters. It truly is amazing to watch a dog work that is only in the bird-fields 3 months a year, they don't miss a beat (well, maybe they need to warm-up a bit :)

*When looking for chukar, keep going - As in, get higher...and higher...and higher. When your dog gives you the look of "really, we are going up that trail?", tell him yes and that you'll be about 15 minutes (or more) behind him.

*Photos, they are great, but not needed - I we didn't take many action shots in the field this year. I made a conscience effort to live in the moment. As I recall, in previous seasons, there were many times I would be more concerned with trying to get a great photo rather then the incredible scenery, great dog work, etc. I still took a few with my phone, but it was nice to relax and enjoy the hunts.

All in all, it was another great season and we can't wait for next year

Offline daradke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: 2014/2015 season synopsis...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 05:04:06 PM »
Sounds like you had fun with the dog. That's what it's all about for me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]