collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tatonka to remember  (Read 6244 times)

Offline @RCHER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Tatonka to remember
« on: December 28, 2008, 07:39:31 PM »
Hi all, this is one of my first posts on this site. I've spent the last 10 years on a lot of other sites and am glad to see what a great campfire this one is becoming. I don't tend to talk as much these days, but I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Like many of you folks, I've got my share of good, bad, and embarrassing experiences to share. All in time I guess.

Here are a few pics from our Nov trip to Montana. For the past three years, we've killed a meat bison on our hunting trips to MT. This year, I paid for my dad to take a mature bull. He's always talked about and wanted to take a big bull buff and this was about all I could do for him. Although a meat harvest and not a fair chase hunt, it's just great to be around hundreds of bison and to watch them do their thing. Very cool animals.

Also, since my dad hadn't hunted MT since I was a kid growing up around Billings, it was a real bonus that he was able to spend eight days with us hunting and fishing with his grandsons.

The harvest took place on a smaller bison ranch in SE Montana that doesn't actively advertise. So, I've agreed not to mention their name. Dad shot this bull in the neck with a custom TC contender rifle in 444.

May the morning silence be broken with the wisp of vanes trailing blades to their mark. 
->>============>

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
Re: Tatonka to remember
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 07:42:33 PM »
Thats a lot of meat :yike:

Offline @RCHER

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 07:45:47 PM »
I guess I should add that the bull in the first three pics wasn't the bull we killed. We got to choose the bull we wanted from a big herd in a 100+ acre fenced area in the foothills. There were many good bulls. It's surprising how big a 3 year old bison bull is. The one dad shot was a 6 year old and about 1700 lbs.

Bulls stop breeding at about 6 years old and just continue to gain weight and get meaner. This one should make a great mount and rug.
May the morning silence be broken with the wisp of vanes trailing blades to their mark. 
->>============>

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 10:04:17 PM »
Glad to have you join us here. That was neat for you to share the hunt with your dad and kids. A friend of mine has some coworkers who have been killing a meat bison every year for the last few years, I am pretty sure in Montana. I may see if I can join them next year. I killed my first moose this year and it seemed mighty big to me but probably weighed about 900# or so. A 1700# bison must look enormous. Brian.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 10:56:55 PM »
Great looking Buffalo.  Sounds like you had a blast with the family.  Wecome to the site!  :hello:

Offline mossback91

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 11:01:11 PM »
damn that thing looks huge :yike:

Offline DeerHarvester

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 02:41:50 AM »
 :cue: :brew:  Need a big freezer(s)!
Will hunt for food.

Offline @RCHER

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 12:30:17 PM »
Thanks all, it was a great time with my guys. Those critters really are big and tough animals. It's hard to imagine a big Yukon bull moose weighing nearly that much.

The whole bison harvest is just different from most other hunting situations I experience. That really adds to the memories as well. Up until a few years ago, I had never even touched a bison. So, going through the entire hoof-to-table process on those big boogers is cool, and a bit nostalgic. Sure, I'd like to hunt a wild, free-range bull some day. But, this is good too. My youngest son shot a 1000 lb cow last year on his birthday. Good memories and I'm so glad we get to share these experiences together.

Rufous, congrats on your moose! I sure hope to be able to do that hunt someday, myself. I really enjoy moose meat. Want to trade steaks?
->>============>

Offline fc2038

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »
That is one BIG critter :yike:

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 04:46:42 PM »
Nice! It's a good feeling to have a full freezer! I had an open invitation to do a meat hunt on a buffalo cowfor around $600. Never did it. :bash: Wish I would have made the time to do it, as I lost contact with the rancher!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 06:17:08 PM »
I have already given away quite a bit of my moose meat to friends, especially those who helped with the hunt and I plan to trade some with my buddy who bought a quarter of a bison recently so I am going to hang on to the rest. Brian.

Offline 87samurai

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 07:30:43 PM »
Wow  :tup:

Offline Wea300mag

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 07:33:32 PM »
That front end loader and barn look familiar. I think goundhog's kids harvested a couple of bison there too.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the skyline

Offline robb92

• Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 12:05:16 AM »
Congrats to your dad on a very nice bull!!! Thanks for posting the pics and story!
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline Kent Hunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 06:08:57 AM »
Nice bull Archer. I killed a 12 year old last year in Dec and they really are GINORMAS when they get up in age.

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 10:01:51 AM »
Awesome-  I like all Buffalo pic's....  If you really want an exciting hunt - put in for the AK draw for wild Bison (cheaper than any far/fenced hunt if drawn, except for gas maybe), they are about as good as it gets for hunting.  Try stalking one with 50-100 sets of eyes covering a very large field....  Right now trying to set up a trip here real soon for a meat hunt, can't beat good Buffalo meat... Wonder if they'll let me take out a yearling????

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 11:24:30 AM »
So what does it cost? 

Offline groundhog

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 02:30:32 PM »
So how were the old bulls as far as eatin goes? Were they a bit chewy? My kids shot a young bull and cow and my nephew shot a 12 year old cow. We aged the meat for two weeks but the old cow was pretty tough. The young animals were great. If we ever do it again (from our limited experience) I would only be interested in young animals.

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 09:14:30 PM »
Very cool pics and a great family trip sounds like.  My buddy is going on a hunt for a cow buff an i going with i cant wait it will be fun.
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline @RCHER

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 01:52:26 AM »
Sorry I lost this one. Thanks again, All.

dbllunger, cost varies, depending on the ranch and your relationship - I've found. Generally, $800 - $1200 for cows and $2000 - $4000 for bulls. Some higher and some lower. But if you butcher it yourself, it's hard to beat the price for what you get.

groundhog, 2 year old or younger is the best eating. Older animals are definitely tough and heavy grain. Mostly burger, sausage, and jerky for this bull and older cows.

What I think is great about bison...the meat is high quality, and high quantity. The tanned hides are huge , awesome and surprisingly soft. Every western hunter needs a bison skull. And (Hey!) they're BISON and just cool to watch, photograph and be close to.

BTW, a big cow bison will go about 40 square feet of hide. This bull was measured out by the tannery at over 70 feet! No kidding. Keep that in mind if you go for a big bull. For those interested, for grins I measured the skull at 106 B&C. Here's a pic showing this bull next to a large cow with an elk skull in the middle.

->>============>

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand