collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting Pheasants  (Read 9935 times)

Offline Trashmonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Hunting Pheasants
« on: September 14, 2007, 02:16:48 PM »
I would like an opinion on paying to hunt pheasants.  More or less a guided hunt.  I'm thinking about going that route this fall, but personally I think it's rather expensive.  I'm not looking to start any trouble, but, I live in the southwest portion of the state and pheasant hunting here is tenuous to say the least.  Has anyone called any of those business adverstized in the waterfowl reg pamphlet?  If so, I would like to hear your experience...if it's ok.  Thank you all

TM
Moooon Riiiiver. Using your whole fist doc??

Offline arrowflinger

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ChasingWildCreatures
Re: Hunting Pheasants
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 02:37:42 PM »
If I remember correctly, they release birds for you to shoot. I have done a couple when my dog was young. It was more training for her then hunting.

Offline Trashmonkey

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 05:56:47 PM »
If I remember correctly, they release birds for you to shoot. I have done a couple when my dog was young. It was more training for her then hunting.

Yes they do release birds and in my experience last year, it's a total free for all those days they release.  The problem for me is just too many people in too little of an area.  Everybody bumping in to everybody.  I don't really have a technical definition of a bird dog, he's just a dog who thinks he is...although he's completely affraid of water, briars, tall grass, etc.  But, he gets excited just go. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 07:57:51 PM by Trashmonkey »

Offline Trashmonkey

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 09:40:53 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I will look up Cooke Canyon and check it out.   In the mean time, Pheasants start next week, wish me luck on not getting my a@@ shot off.  :bash:

Offline Trashmonkey

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 02:17:31 AM »
Well....it's the end of the second day of Pheasant season here in S.W. Washington and I'm proud to say that I'm still in one piece.  Today(Sunday) the dog and I decided to venture out and see if we could muster something up.  Mind you that my dog is NOT a bird dog.  In fact I get strange looks when ol' thor jumps out of the Dodge.  Some times down right dirty looks.  Anyhow, I digress.  So, were sloging around in the rain getting soaked, thinking I'm all by myself...Finally I can hunt in relative peace.  WRONG!!, HOLY CRAP! within a mater of minutes there were dog's and orange and gun fire everywhere.  So, I packed it up and headed to another release site farther away.  Long story short.  I shot my very first rooster.  I got so damn excited I forgot to take a picture.  So, now I look like a total tool cause I said somewhere in this site that I would take pictures of everything I shoot.  I suppose I can take a pic of me eating the bird....Honey, get the camera.  I'll keep ya'll posted.

Good luck
TM

sisu

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 02:09:03 PM »
Very good. I shot my first last year. Never lived where there were pheasant. Lots of fun.

Offline Bighorse

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 05:25:27 PM »
You know its a privlage to hunt those birds and while I'm out running my dogs close to home on the W. side I really do appreciate some sense of fraterity while on the release sites.

Its doesn't have to be a free-for-all uncontrolled/unsportsman environment.  Were all out there enjoying our leasure and trying to get our pups ready for the real stuff on the E. side.  The shooting is just a minor part of the game. 

Please enjoy yourself and send a smile and wave my way.  I'm genuinely happy to be in the field enjoying released birds in the the go ol' US of A!

Shadow Cat

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 09:28:07 PM »
Congrats! I am still waiting to shoot my first one, but without a dog, it is really hard to do it.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 09:17:57 AM »
It's like hunting high fence,just can't reduce myself to play that game.It's possable that all types of hunting will soon be generic.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 09:24:21 AM »
wow...
sorry you feel that way.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 10:02:26 AM »
No need to be sorry...to me it's worlds apart from traditional hunting,your signature explains it fairly well.
Maybe it's just me,but if it's not "fair chase" I don't feel right harvesting it.
There used to be wild pheasant all over Western Wash. until the habitat was degraded.I would rather see funds go toward wild release and habitat restoration.
NATURE HAS A WAY

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 12:58:07 PM »
A healthy wild pheasant population in Wa is a thing of the past. Farm equipment is so damn effecient now a days. The don't leave much cover any more. It's nothing against the farmer, he needs to eat too. Plus all the devolopment equals permanent habitat loss. And the areas that have a small populations are all private. I have been to a few of the release sites over here....It's combat, pure combat.  I got peppered and everything. Guys out there don't care who is where...they just shoot anyways. Wetside pheasant hunting is a joke
Eastsider stuck on the wetside......

Offline Trashmonkey

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 03:05:30 PM »
Amen to the combat zone.  I went out this morning to one of my local sites and guess what.......I was completely alone.  I had two full hours of worry free hunting time allowing my dumb bell dog (who I love) to run around trying to catch a scent.  I've read the previous posts and I feel bad that I have bitched alot.  I really really enjoy pheasant hunting along with waterfowl.  I apologize for being so negative.  I wish that everyone who comes to a certain site here around Vancouver would just have some courtesy and respect for others in relation to there position.  Anyhow, I look so forward at the chance to get outdoors and muck around in the bush.  For me, it's more about the experience than if I shoot anything.  I like having great experiences.  That's what makes memories that I want to share with others.

TM

Shadow Cat

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 12:23:19 AM »
I went out for a while this morning. Only heard a few shots and saw a few hunters. I decided to leave so I did not kick the crap out of some bozo. I was walking along a road and found a dog. I looked around me and did not see anyone close to me. I saw one guy a LONG way off and I yelled at him to get his attention. No such luck. I got the dog close and she was shivering and soaked to the bone. I looked at her tag and got her name and then decided to see if she belonged to the guy way out in this field. 10 minutes later, I got to the guy and asked if he had a dog. He said yes and I asked him the dogs name and he told me. I asked him if he knew where she was and he said she was behind him. I told him I found his dog across the road from where I was and she was standing NEXT to me, NOT behind him. I gave him his dog and he did not even say thanks! If I had a house, I would have kept that dog because it was obvious to me that he did not keep track of her or even care for her. That dog was so cold her teeth were chattering! It was time for me to go home when the guy said "Oh." and turned around and walked away without even looking at his dog!  >:(  :bash:

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 12:41:05 AM »
Too many *censored*s like that over here
Eastsider stuck on the wetside......

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 05:37:51 AM »
Too many *censored*s like that over here

No kidding, the dog would surely be in better hands with shadowcat... and asswipe would be better off without the dog.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Shadow Cat

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 12:18:46 PM »
I don't know how someone can do something like that to a dog.

Offline Trashmonkey

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 12:24:17 PM »
That's a real shame.   :(   I know plenty of folks who would love to have a hunting buddy.  Should have kicked the dude in the happy sack Shadowcat.

Shadow Cat

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 12:26:49 PM »
I would have, but it would have been to hard to get my boot back!  :chuckle:  ;)

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 04:38:03 PM »
Most of the guys I ran into out in the field were good guys and were also respectful to other hunters and their dogs,but I did see a couple guys beating their dogs for whatever reason I don't know.
And a couple others shocking the hell out of their dogs like it was going out of style.Other than seeing the abuse of man's best friend,
it was an o.k. day.
NATURE HAS A WAY

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 05:08:26 PM »
I wouln't mind puting a shock collar on a few guys I have ran into while hunting.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
LMAO,That would work it really would. Karma has a way of working out too  ;).
NATURE HAS A WAY

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]