collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What's a better shotgun load for coyotes?  (Read 3553 times)

Offline 6.8mmARHunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA
What's a better shotgun load for coyotes?
« on: April 08, 2015, 07:04:51 AM »
I'm planning on hunting an area that is firearm restricted (shotgun only). I picked up a 12ga. It's a Remington 870 Express Tactical. It's an 18" Cylinder Bore barrel, with a 3" Chamber. Eventually, I'd like to find a tighter choked barrel, but for now I'm limited by what I was able to find immediately. The only ammo I was able to find was: 3", #4 Buck (41, 0.24" Pellets) and 3", 00 Buck (15, 0.33" Pellets).

Does anyone have any thoughts or preferences as to which load I should go with? More smaller pellets or less larger pellets? I'll be sitting over an electronic call in forested W. WA, with some open country. Max range maybe 40 yards.

Thanks,

sam

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
Re: What's a better shotgun load for coyotes?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 07:14:56 AM »
Shoot a few patterns and you'll likely find 40 yards is pushing it.  A coyote that catches a ball or two will likely go unrecovered.
I just picked up a box of Federal Premium Heavyweight Coyote BB loads.  The shot is HW15 which is quite denser than lead.  HW tends to pattern tight.
It's not cheap at $5.00 a pop but it's probably the best stuff on the market.  Sold in boxes of 5 'cause noone would pay for a box of 10  :o

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 07:21:05 AM »
Both will do the job. Like said see which one your gun likes and you'll want to test at all ranges expected.  Good luck your in for a treat. Shotgun can be your best friend hunting coyotes in the thick stuff! And it's a blast to get them in close
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline 6.8mmARHunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 09:07:25 AM »
Shoot a few patterns and you'll likely find 40 yards is pushing it.  A coyote that catches a ball or two will likely go unrecovered.
I just picked up a box of Federal Premium Heavyweight Coyote BB loads.  The shot is HW15 which is quite denser than lead.  HW tends to pattern tight.
It's not cheap at $5.00 a pop but it's probably the best stuff on the market.  Sold in boxes of 5 'cause noone would pay for a box of 10  :o

:yike: Thanks, I'll look into that Federal Heavyweight, but - yikes, $5.00 per shot!!! That's a little to rich for me...

Both will do the job. Like said see which one your gun likes and you'll want to test at all ranges expected.  Good luck your in for a treat. Shotgun can be your best friend hunting coyotes in the thick stuff! And it's a blast to get them in close

Thanks, I'm thinking some butcher paper on a wood frame at 10, 20, etc... yards.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »
40 yds with cylinder bore may be stretching it.....

I have had success with duck loads out 20+yds, but any PB load would be better. don't need the buck shot for them.. much cheaper to use a #2 or 4 lead high brass mag load....

USN retired
1981-2011

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 09:16:19 AM »
Lead BB or #2s work great for coyotes out to 60 yards or so with the right choke.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 09:27:26 AM »
In my opinion I would take a 3 "  # 4 0r #5 shot over and buck shot ..a 3 in # 5 turkey load with 2 oz or 1 3/4 oz. will up end any coyote out 40 yrds plus ...It is pretty cool flipping yotes with a shotgun  :tup: :twocents:

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 10:22:51 AM »
Your biggest problem is going to be the lack of choke on a gun designed to clear a room and not take things out at a distance.  Steel and tungsten loads tend to pattern better with lesser amounts of choke, steel "T"s might work out to 40 yards but tend to lose energy pretty fast.  The other option is to fill the pattern you have with smaller shot,  Federal 1 7/8 oz. copper plated BB's are a deadly number.

I shoot a 2 1/2" 16 ga. for coyote hunting and have experience much the same problem.  Not so much the lack of choke but the limited payload as I can only load 1 oz and keep pressures and velocity balance in my 90 yr old gun.  Nickel plated BB's fill the pattern and have plenty of Umph for coyotes, NP "F" didn't fill the pattern enough.

30 yard coyote 1 oz BB the shot completely penetrated the coyote either under the skin on the far side or passed through.

Patterning loads is the only way to find out what works as it seems with large shot every barrel has it preference.

You can get that barrel you have threaded for tube, a couple tubes and shipping for less than a new barrel  You might check around, GB, Ebay etc. for a 21" 870 Express turkey barrel.

y 21" 870 Turkey gun that is my dedicated predator restricted area rig where I can't take the drilling.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline 6.8mmARHunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 05:47:50 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Seems like the consensus is towards the #4 Buck vs. the 00 Buck. Thanks again. I can't wait to get out there...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal