collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Oil bonus point question?  (Read 4543 times)

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
Oil bonus point question?
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:46:57 AM »
I know this has been discussed before but figured I would bring it up and see what everyone thinks. I have an 8 month old at home and I want to get him started on points for sheep goat and moose since it will be virtually impossible for him to draw a tag in his lifetime. So here's my thought. If I put his social number in the system and just buy bonus points for those animals it should assign him a wild id. When he gets his hunters ed done years down the road I should be able to buy him his hunting license with the same wild id and have bonus points available for all the years prior. Has anybody done this before or do you guys think it will work?

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Oil bonus point question?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:55:14 AM »
Pretty sure you have to be able to buy him his liscense and tags before you can even apply for points. You can't do that until you obtain a hunters ed certificate.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:57:13 AM »
I'm going to do that with my kid but I waited till he's 10. And really only with the hope that he get a good deer or elk tag before he gets to old. If you get your kid 16 points before he starts hunting that's great, but for OIL tags I'm not sure if it will help him much. By then average points will in the 30's. That's assuming the system will be the same in 16 years. I don't trust the state enough to think everything will be like it is now. You might think about taking the permit app money you spend and set it aside for the next 16 years. Then add a little to it and send your kid on a really cool hunt.

Either way its a good thought. I know where your coming from. I'm just worried the resources may not sustain for that long and the OIL system will be a high dollar sport. :twocents:

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:06:26 AM »
Pretty sure you have to be able to buy him his liscense and tags before you can even apply for points. You can't do that until you obtain a hunters ed certificate.
Not for OIL permits.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 11:13:38 AM »
Go get him a catch card for something. This will give him a wild id number. You can ghost point all categories in the OILs. Maybe not 65+. That should answer your question.
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline elkoholic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 11:21:51 AM »
Yes you can put them in for OIL-points.

When they are old enough for hunter safety the application should ask if they already  have a wild ID # . I did the same thing with my son and now daughter...

A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be, time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, the animals, and fish that live there”.- Fred bear

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 11:52:40 AM »
Right on thanks for the feedback guys. I applied my wifes 10 year old for special permits last year. His dad had lost all his previous years hunting licenses and had messed things up so bad in the system I could not find him. I set him up a new account and wild Id and bought all the permits. I then started thinking I may have messed up things with the game department and called them. They were able to find his old wild id and the new one I set up and convert them over to his first wild id. I set his second one up without his hunters ed certificate and it worked so that's where my thinking came from. I am going to try it with my little one anyway this year, worse case scenario is I will be out a few bucks.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 01:04:29 PM »
Go get him a catch card for something. This will give him a wild id number. You can ghost point all categories in the OILs. Maybe not 65+. That should answer your question.
just needs a wild id :tup:
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline combs338

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 01:35:26 PM »
I just did this for my son online, all you need is a SSN to get a Wild ID.
For $3.30 per point, it is a worthwhile investment in my mind.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 05:56:04 PM »
Shhh! We don't want WDFW to figure out that we are smarter than them.  :chuckle:
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline bugs n bones

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WSTA, NRA, SCI
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 07:11:37 PM »
I'm going to do that with my kid but I waited till he's 10. And really only with the hope that he get a good deer or elk tag before he gets to old. If you get your kid 16 points before he starts hunting that's great, but for OIL tags I'm not sure if it will help him much. By then average points will in the 30's. That's assuming the system will be the same in 16 years. I don't trust the state enough to think everything will be like it is now. You might think about taking the permit app money you spend and set it aside for the next 16 years. Then add a little to it and send your kid on a really cool hunt.

Either way its a good thought. I know where your coming from. I'm just worried the resources may not sustain for that long and the OIL system will be a high dollar sport. :twocents:
it's becoming once in two lifetimes now, and once the wolves take over were all done. You will never ever ever hunt a wolf in this liberal state.

Offline TMortensen

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 04:30:57 PM »
SSSSHHHHHHH!!!!!!Everyone needs to keep this stuff a secret.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal