collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Putting in a small food plot  (Read 33212 times)

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
Re: Putting in a small food plot
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 12:35:32 PM »
Looking good!  :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline LeviD1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 04:10:43 PM »
Any bigger solid stumps you probably will have to leave. I have a couple I couldnt get out with a bobcat. Just poor mineral on the stump or some other attracting maybe and the deer will eat it away eventually   :tup:

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 06:10:41 PM »
Phase 1 of the cleanup.  I’ve got a lot of wood; branches, stumps, half rotten logs, etc to deal with.  Anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of these piles?
Make a ground blind/Beaver hut!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 11:20:17 PM »
A small tractor could push that slash into the forest in about 10 minutes.  If that is not an option, I'd throw the stuff one piece at a time towards the closest treeline - and hopefully under the trees on the second round of throws.  I'd strive to get all that stuff under just a few of those trees so you maximize the amount of area the animals could enter the plot. Don't create piles so large though that you now have a fuel source so large that a fire could jump into the crowns of the trees from the ground.  (perhaps prune those firs up a bit in that area).

An easier solution might be to just surround that single central tree with a narrow ring of slash.

An hour or two should get that  stuff out of the way for you.  Have fun!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 06:39:03 AM »
What about those throw n go bags at wall mart , are they any good ? Ive got a hill with some cleared spots between big bushes, was thinking about some planting in there. My p.h. testing came out high so ill just spot plant with some soil from the local lowes place and plant in that ,but anybody try those bags before ?
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 06:58:49 AM »
Use the limbs to block where you don't want the deer to enter the plot, leaving the best entrances open with great shot angles.  Place them strategically to force the deer to turn one way or another to feed giving you broadside shots instead of the deer feeding having directly away or straight at you.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 07:33:23 AM »
Any quail around?  The pile looks like a nest site.  Yes on the clover idea, mix a half dozen varieties.  Most is grown in Oregon, get it locally and it will not need a third mortgage.  You might need lime to increase pH.  If you do not soil test just give it a try, it might be fine.  Locate a mineral feeder some where on the edge, Northwest beef from Wolfkill in Stanwood is very good and a fraction of the cost of specialty stuff. Clover likes firm seed beds and shallow planting.  Broadcast it, harrow it, flex harrow would be best, and with a little rain it will be fine.

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 03:50:52 PM »
What about those throw n go bags at wall mart , are they any good ? Ive got a hill with some cleared spots between big bushes, was thinking about some planting in there. My p.h. testing came out high so ill just spot plant with some soil from the local lowes place and plant in that ,but anybody try those bags before ?

Id go with something different. Most of those are made up of all rye grass that's basically can grow on concrete so people think it works amazing. I tried it once. Blacktail didn't touch it. It grew well and fast but as soon as it was grown it almost immediately died.

I'd go the clover route for sure. That's what I'm gonna do. I've been packing in 25lbs of lime for during each trail camera check. I'm gonna use one of those hand twist tiller tools and a metal rake. Get a half acre sized spot done up a couple miles back. At the very least it's a good time and fresh air in the woods!

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 12:16:38 PM »
I got this small section planted this weekend.  2 types of clover, crimson and white – need some rain now to get it started.

I tossed some crimson seed on the ground a couple of weeks ago as a test patch and it’s sprouting -

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 05:19:13 PM »
Any quail around?  The pile looks like a nest site.  Yes on the clover idea, mix a half dozen varieties.  Most is grown in Oregon, get it locally and it will not need a third mortgage.  You might need lime to increase pH.  If you do not soil test just give it a try, it might be fine.  Locate a mineral feeder some where on the edge, Northwest beef from Wolfkill in Stanwood is very good and a fraction of the cost of specialty stuff. Clover likes firm seed beds and shallow planting.  Broadcast it, harrow it, flex harrow would be best, and with a little rain it will be fine.

No quail unfortunately, not many deer either I’ve just seen a few doe and one turkey in this area.  I think the turkey got eaten by the coyotes.  I’m hoping a food source will bring in some more animals.

Offline curlewkiller

• Hunter
  • God's Country
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 01:28:51 PM »
I just planted about 5000 square feet of:

Deer & Elk Feeder Plus
Designed to attract deer and elk throughout the year. High in protein and palatability, this mix will attract and keep deer and elk coming back for more.

from Rainier Seeds in Davenport.

They say it needs 12 inches of rain a year.  I planted it at 4300 feet.  This is a test and messed up on laying down the seed.  It will be think in parts and sparse in others, if you know what I mean.  i will report back.
"It is better to have people think you are stupid than post on hunting-washington.com and remove all doubt"

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
I just planted about 5000 square feet of:

Deer & Elk Feeder Plus
Designed to attract deer and elk throughout the year. High in protein and palatability, this mix will attract and keep deer and elk coming back for more.

from Rainier Seeds in Davenport.

They say it needs 12 inches of rain a year.  I planted it at 4300 feet.  This is a test and messed up on laying down the seed.  It will be think in parts and sparse in others, if you know what I mean.  i will report back.

Please do keep an update. Will be quirous how it grows?  Those little clovers are looking real good! :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline MuleDeer

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/474272479287506/
  • Groups: Mule Deer Foundation-Life Member, NRA-Life Member, NWTF-Life Member
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
Pennsylvania could be a whole lot different than where you want to plant. Whatever you buy call then first and make sure you get their recommendation on what till do best bases on conditions it needs to grow in. Water, sunlight, temps etc.

You send in a soil sample. They analyze it and tell you/sell you the seed mix they deem proper for the soil. It doesn't matter geographically where you are. They'll determine what's right based on the soil sample you send in to them.

Jackelope is right about the soil sampling: should be done on every piece of ground before you invest any money.  Your local soil conservation office will run tests, as well as most seed suppliers like Whitetail Institute, Biologic, etc.  A test and a few tons of lime are MUCH cheaper than most seed, so it's in your best interest to give yourself and your foodplot every chance for success.
As far as geography goes, it can make a huge difference in what type of seeds to plant.  These days, seed mixes are so well engineered, that most of them require very specific conditions to thrive or even survive.  Average temp during the growing season, average rainfall, drainage on the plot, and more all come into consideration and should be looked at for maximum results.
Also matters if you're looking at annual or perennial food plot seed.  Annuals generally grow easier and are heartier, but you have to replant every year.  Perennials are tougher to manage, but last longer.  Take some time to research food plot management and options: it's a pretty fun subject and you can learn a lot to help your hunting success.
It's free to consult with most seed companies, and once the soil is treated, I'd talk with them. It's your best bet for the results you want down the road.
"We didn't inherit this earth from our fore fathers, we're borrowing it from our children."

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2015, 09:23:40 AM »
I've planted a few similar plots. I'd bet given the tree's and moss that the soil is low in nitrogen and acidic. I test my soil with one of the little packet of tablet kits you get at the farm and feed stores. Have had great luck so far with lawns, gardens, and food plots testing with those colored water kits.

I'd have hit it with a hand crank spreader with several bags of lime and then a bag or two of triple 16. Raked that in and hopefully had some rain melt it in, then plant it with the ladino, arrowleaf, and or red perennial clover seed you can buy at the feed/farm stores and lightly rake them in.

I've looked at lots of seed labels and it seems most of the grass and clover seed around these parts comes from the Willamette valley. I've had no luck with the chickory, alfalfa, and brassicas they blend in the back east whitetail seed blends. The Willamette valley seed you can buy at the feed store is way cheaper than the designer seed blends. Pasture mixes are even cheaper.

Clover will only last a few years and then you'll need to reseed. Crimson clover is pretty well an annual as is Alsike, if that's what you planted as a "white" clover. Also grasses and weeds will overtake your plot and you'll have to deal with that.

Everything, turkey, deer, elk, ect..... likes clover.

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2015, 08:46:21 PM »
You want a 7 ph most forested areas is around 10 so you have to lower the ph to get this kind of foiledge to grow ,,,,,,,, just sayn ? ?
loction location location ! perzackly !

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand