collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Advice on Pin Distances for Eastern WA  (Read 7738 times)

Offline Bowjob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Advice on Pin Distances for Eastern WA
« on: May 07, 2015, 04:24:14 PM »
Hi All, I'm going to be bowhunting for deer in the Chelan area and wanted to get advice on stocking and setting pins for deer in that area. In Western WA I would set my pins to 20ft., 30ft., 40ft., 50ft. I would assume that I need to set my further pin higher in Eastern WA?

I would love any advice or tips you may have.
Genesis 27:3 - "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Advice on Pin Distances for Eastern WA
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 04:28:16 PM »
feet or yards? Depending on your bow, sight and shooting proficiency, I would go something like 20,30,40,50,60 yards. That is what mine is set at
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 04:37:40 PM »
Only 20 yard pin I use these days is on a slider.  All my fixed pin sights start at 30 yards.  With just a little bit of practice you can be shooting heads off grouse at 15 or 20 using the 30 yard pin.  That will give you an extra 10 yards of pin when and if you need it.  With your four pin sight that will give you a 60.  And with a 60 pin you should easily be able to gap to 70 if you so choose.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Bowjob

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 08:09:11 PM »
feet or yards? Depending on your bow, sight and shooting proficiency, I would go something like 20,30,40,50,60 yards. That is what mine is set at

You're correct, I meant to say Yards; thanks for clarifying.

I just now went and practiced at 60 yrds, concerned as my accuracy for killshot decreased to around 60%. Of course I can practice but out in sagebrush it's going to be difficult to stock to get closer.

RadSav - great tip on getting the most out of my sight. I'll have to give it a try and see how it goes.

Another question... at what distance do the deer have time to react to the bow noise and "crouch" as they begin to run/jump. I've heard anything over 50 yrds and you have to account for that. Thoughts?
Genesis 27:3 - "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 09:24:01 PM »
Depends on the deer.  Probably more whitetails shot poorly because of jumping the string at 18 yards than muledeer jumping the string at 50.  I personally have never had a mule deer jump the string enough to turn a good shot bad.  And I have shot some rather loud bows in the past.  And every time someone has told me to adjust for a whitetail I've hit low.  So I'm not much for adjusting aim expecting a string jump.  Might aim dead center heart on a whitetail instead of top of the heart like usual, that's about it.

Hard to become proficient at shoot beyond 50 yards unless you practice beyond 70.  It will come, you just need to start practicing at long range.  Doesn't mean you need to hunt long range.  Just that long range practice (80+) makes that 50 yard shot a much easier accomplishment.

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 09:27:30 PM »
Very well said.   :yeah:
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:42:04 PM »
Most of my practice is done at two distances - 8 yards and 100 yards.  Work on form, strength and aiming at 8 yards in the garage.  Work on broadhead flight, form and aiming at 100 yards.  I don't usually shoot more than a dozen arrows a year at any other distance.  And that is just to verify my pin set before season starts.

Back when I had a good range I did shoot a good bit at moving targets from 30 to 70.  But I lost that range when the land owner passed away.

My average shot distance on open country muledeer is probably between 30 and 45 yards.  I sincerely believe it is as important to practice stalking as it is to practice shooting.  Doesn't need to be deer you practice stalking either.  If you can sneak up on a domestic dog chained to a tree you can sneak up on dang near any deer anywhere!  Especially if that dog is your own.  Your own dog is the toughest challenge you will ever have.

Sneaking up on your wife is fun too - Boo! Hahaha.  Dogs seem to enjoy it much more than the spouse does though :chuckle:

Offline Band

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 12:26:43 PM »
Depends on the deer.  Probably more whitetails shot poorly because of jumping the string at 18 yards than muledeer jumping the string at 50.  I personally have never had a mule deer jump the string enough to turn a good shot bad.  And I have shot some rather loud bows in the past.  And every time someone has told me to adjust for a whitetail I've hit low.  So I'm not much for adjusting aim expecting a string jump.  Might aim dead center heart on a whitetail instead of top of the heart like usual, that's about it.
I haven't formed a solid opinion on mule deer yet but from watching countless shots on white tails on hunting shows in slow motion, I can say that Rad is right.  Almost every one of them ducks at least several inches, some more than 1', before the arrow strikes.  I believe I would aim for the bottom of the heart on a whitetail.

Offline BABackcountryBwhntr

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA,CCA,RMEF,WSA,NFAA....
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 03:29:15 PM »
I have always shot 20-60 with a 5 pin... I use a 5 pin adjustable now... 20-60... then 70-120....its awesome and you always aim spot on at any distance.

Offline D-Rock425

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 04:14:09 PM »
I go 20,30,40,50,60 on my 3-D target bow.   My bubble is dead nuts 100yds on all my bows Thats the first thing I sight in.

Offline MLBowhunting

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 04:56:43 PM »
30-80 then 100. 
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 12:50:48 PM »
Always hunted Washington with one pin, but for me it's not about how far can I shoot, but how close I can get.  I get zero thrill out of being 80 yards away and shooting at an animal.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 08:41:52 AM »
Slider 0-120.  All on one wheel.  looks like im shooting through the sight window though at 110, so I haven't gone to 120 yet.   :chuckle:  kinda wounder if it hits the sight at 120? 

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 08:26:25 PM »
7 pins set 20 yards(top pin), to 80 yards(bottom pin). Now your set from gobblers to elk! Another tip is to make sure your peep sight, at full draw, lines up with your aperture perfectly as this will help your consistency and groups!!
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by timberghost72
[Today at 08:55:00 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101