collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Support: Magnuson Park Archery Excellence Facility  (Read 15817 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Support: Magnuson Park Archery Excellence Facility
« on: May 31, 2015, 10:03:48 AM »
I think if Seattle is Going to spend money on anything we should express our support for this. It provides support for the sport AND opportunity to share/recruit hunters. I know that a Silver Arrow Bowmen Club member Pushed the parks department to install an archery range. Some of you may know that archery was HUGE in the 70's and Seattle had 13 archery ranges in City parks at that time. Please take the time to email julianna.ross@gmail.com and voice your support. please do so with Any Archery club related affiliation you are involved with.

http://www.nextsteparchery.com/?p=8321&utm_source=FB&utm_medium=digital&utm_campaign=MagnusonPark

New 70 Meter Range Project
We Need Your Support: Magnuson Park Archery Excellence Facility
We want to share some exciting news on a project we are sponsoring to renovate the large airplane hangar at Magnuson Park into an Archery Excellence facility. The new facility would include 5 indoor ranges including the only indoor 70 meter range in the Pacific Northwest! This will be one of the premier indoor archery facilities in the country.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Support: Magnuson Park Archery Excellence Facility
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 10:34:14 AM »
Awesome. Sticky'd. Thanks for posting this, Special T.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 10:37:02 AM »
That would be great.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 11:14:34 AM »
Thank you for making this a Sticky. The public visioning event to be held Saturday, June 6th from 1:00-5:00pm at Magnuson Park Building 30 was "Sold out" almost immediately. So now the only real way to lend support is to send an email. Please make sure you do so!

I am not a huge fan of the City of Seattle despite the roots I have there. Seattle changed from a working class blue collar city to what it is today. I see this project as a chance to re-ground some of the Cities residences in reality. We have seen many articles about the interest in Hipsters being called to the organic gardening movement, and by extension a return to fishing and hunting to get meat of the same kind. While I dont share thier exact sentiments it kind of reminds me or the "Back to the Earth" movement of the 70's where lots of people moved to small country homesteads to try and live a different lifestyle.

I have a fairly Liberal "Hippy" friend I hunt with. We have had MANY interesting conversations because we share the hunting heritage. I have learned to hunt mushrooms from him and some other jems from when he lived part of that back to the earth movement. My Joke with him is that every conservative should at least have one Hippy friend and he is mine. Our friendship has helped me see the issues from a different point of view. While it hasn't changed my thinking that much it HAS changed the way I try and present the argument. Archery and Hunting are our best chance and changing the view of some of these Anti's out there...

BTW there are 2 kinds of Hippies. The kind that  hate guns and everything about them, these will be a really tough convert. The second is the kind who owns guns. I liken my "Hippy" to be a Redneck who's pony tail covers it up...

Please take the time and Email. Thx
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 08:36:52 PM »
Ive been following this closely and have not heard anything yet. just figured id update

Confucius

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 08:42:16 PM »
This would be great for us city guys!
Coastal Perspective.

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 11:09:10 PM »
That's awesome it would be directly across the street from me. Hope it goes through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dilligaf

Offline zkhowes

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »
any update? I want to get into archery bad but also need something close. Kids, work, no time, bla blah

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 08:39:55 PM »
Since you live in Sea town make sure to talk to the powers that be at the Magnuson park and let them know your interest.

Confucius

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 02:52:58 PM »
Ive been following this closely and have not heard anything yet. just figured id update

Any updates Special T??
Nothing on the Next Step website.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 02:00:07 PM »
I have nott seen anything and I have done some looking. I will try and contact the next step group. I will see them when the show up at silver arrow for the wsaa indoor multicolor shoot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Confucius

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 07:20:28 AM »
I received this when i inquired with Next Step about the Progress.

The Seattle Parks just sent out the request for proposal so we will be sending that in by June and they will determine who wins the bid in August! We have a strong team and a solid plan so we are optimistic. Thank you - Bob

Confucius

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 08:13:47 AM »
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/magnuson-hangars-hollywood-sound-stage-or-more-sports-arenas/

What’s next for rundown Magnuson building: Hollywood soundstage, or more sports arenas?

Seattle Parks and Recreation has released a request for proposals to redevelop and operate a 144,000-square-foot complex with two airplane hangars.

By Daniel Beekman
Seattle Times staff reporter

The last large, undeveloped building from the former naval air station at what is now Seattle’s Magnuson Park could become a giant fortress for film.

Or a lacrosse complex. Or an archery range. Or both of those. Or something else.

Seattle Parks and Recreation this month published a request for proposals (RFP) for the renovation and operation of the 144,000-square-foot double hangar known as Building 2, and Hollywood-level film production may be part of at least one proposal.

“We’ve had calls about everything from swimming pools to basketball to archery to film production to rock climbing — some really bold and interesting ideas,” said Cheryl Fraser, strategic outreach director for parks.

More on the website

Confucius

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 08:36:54 AM »
When you contact the Parks department a comment about the history of archery in Seattle and the fact that multiple uses could be worked out in this large space.

For example the State NASP competition has been held in Ellensburg the last several years at the CWU's field house because it can accommodate all the shooters. This last year many schools didnt travel there because of the added travel time and expense. I can think of several other large scale Archery events that could be held in a facility like this.

A couple of notes that link Seattle Parks to Archery
http://www.seattle.gov/parks/parkspaces/carkeekpark/history.htm

On June 30, 1955, the Department formally dedicated the park - this time only a band concert hauled in. An archery field course was established in the Y-shaped raving northwest of the entrance, plus a target range at the entrance. The field course was suspended in 1963 as a safety measure; cost of fencing was prohibitive. In 1959 the Model Motors area was permitted with permanent improvements by the "Sky-Raiders" in 1963. The 1953 F.R. McAbee, Inc. donated property on N.W. 100th Place as an entrance to the park. But the city could not fulfill its obligation to buy the intervening ravine until Forward Thrust in 1972.

More history can be found here.
http://www.seattle.gov/parks/history/sherwood.htm

Confucius

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 08:51:19 AM »
tag

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw