collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Feeling Heartbroken  (Read 7072 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Feeling Heartbroken
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2016, 06:47:59 AM »
Thanks for all the positive replies. Originally when we left last night and dropped off his cousin he was so upset saying he didn't want to do it again. A little encouragement,  and I also told him I'd take the course as a student with him and now he wants to. I've emailed the lead instructor already as he gave me a list of upcoming class dates and we are going to do the class in June which starts the week after he gets out of school.

You're doing it right, dad.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline AhrensNW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 11:00:36 AM »
I passed in 2004, when I was 7 years old. I distinctly remember some parts of the test being read to me, but it was still pretty hard.

But it's all good. your son will succeed the next time he takes it. Be sure to take him hunting with you as often as you can, watching my dad arrow a bull when I was 5 gave me quite a bit of incentive for that orange card.

Online ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »
The most common reason for the younger ones to fail the test is not having it read to them. I would suggest that he next take the online course and when he goes in for the test and field day, have him request to have the test read to him. It's not a reading test. We don't care how their reading comprehension is. It's a Hunter Ed test. We care that they'll be safe in the field with a firearm. And, he should use every advantage available to him. Good luck to your nephew tomorrow and your son the next time. I'm sure he'll do better.
exactly!  I have a friend who's son failed the written test, the instructor took him aside and read those questions to him that he got wrong.  He then answered the questions correctly, the instructor passed him!  I was very impressed the instructor did that, our kids will learn most about this stuff just being out in the woods with mom and dad.  Too bad your sons instructor didn't read him the questions he got wrong, he'll get it next time!

Just to be clear. The test cannot not be read to the student after wards.
The instructors should be giving the student a choice ,read it themselves or the instructor reads to them.

But once the decision is made the State prohibits going back.
Years ago instructor's were going over missed questions with students and changing the score. That is no longer allowed and any instructor who does it is violating Hunter Ed written policies.

As I read the OP the class started on Friday and tested on Monday. Although fine ,in my opinion to fast. Some students need more time between instruction and testing. Find a class that is for longer duration.

I take 3 weeks for a class. Two days a week . 4 teaching sessions 3 chapters each. One session written test, one session field coarse. 

Rushing young students through a class does a disservice to the student.  :twocents:

On line classes were never designed for younger students.

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 11:48:35 AM »
The most common reason for the younger ones to fail the test is not having it read to them. I would suggest that he next take the online course and when he goes in for the test and field day, have him request to have the test read to him. It's not a reading test. We don't care how their reading comprehension is. It's a Hunter Ed test. We care that they'll be safe in the field with a firearm. And, he should use every advantage available to him. Good luck to your nephew tomorrow and your son the next time. I'm sure he'll do better.
exactly!  I have a friend who's son failed the written test, the instructor took him aside and read those questions to him that he got wrong.  He then answered the questions correctly, the instructor passed him!  I was very impressed the instructor did that, our kids will learn most about this stuff just being out in the woods with mom and dad.  Too bad your sons instructor didn't read him the questions he got wrong, he'll get it next time!

Just to be clear. The test cannot not be read to the student after wards.
The instructors should be giving the student a choice ,read it themselves or the instructor reads to them.

But once the decision is made the State prohibits going back.
Years ago instructor's were going over missed questions with students and changing the score. That is no longer allowed and any instructor who does it is violating Hunter Ed written policies.

As I read the OP the class started on Friday and tested on Monday. Although fine ,in my opinion to fast. Some students need more time between instruction and testing. Find a class that is for longer duration.

I take 3 weeks for a class. Two days a week . 4 teaching sessions 3 chapters each. One session written test, one session field coarse. 

Rushing young students through a class does a disservice to the student.  :twocents:

On line classes were never designed for younger students.
thats too bad, i think most our kids learning is done by the parents while hunting.  I thought it was really human of the instructor to go over the missed questions with the youngster to see if he just read the question wrong.  This was 9 years ago so I'm sure things have changed.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 02:14:03 PM »
The test is multiple choice (A, B, C, D) or True/False.  Doing a "read off" of the questions a failing student missed is a disservice to the OTHER students and shorts the failing student of the opportunity to learn from their mistakes. 

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 02:38:17 PM »

I teach Hunter Safety and we always give the kids a read off of the questions they missed and if they answer  a good many right we still pass them. With the younger kids it is usually better to have the test read to them, they understand it better. We also let them run through the hands on more than once, because we are here to teach. Many are very nervoguns have never handled a gun and just need to get familiar with the firearms
Page 25 of the Hunter Education Instructor Policy manual
Student Retesting Prohibited

Policy: Students may not be re-tested on written examinations, quizzes, or field skills evaluations, no matter what their score.

Even in the event a student misses a passing grade by one or two incorrect answers, s/he will not be given an opportunity to be re-tested on any part of the examination or quiz during that course and must re-take another complete Online course and Field Skills Evaluation course or traditional course at a later date.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »
Sorry to here about your child....I too would be heartbroken for my child in this instance.  I am not a huge fan of this States hunters education system.  There is no consistency between instructors / classes and some of the instructors I have had the pleasure to meet are driven by there ego.  With that said others have been great....just one example of the inconsistencies.  Well wishes for a successful second attempt. 

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 02:12:08 AM »
No biggie just encourage him and go get em the next time. We've all been there at something/ time or other.
He'll get it next time. I bet he scores 100%
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 06:36:46 AM »
Sorry to here about your child....I too would be heartbroken for my child in this instance.  I am not a huge fan of this States hunters education system.  There is no consistency between instructors / classes and some of the instructors I have had the pleasure to meet are driven by there ego.  With that said others have been great....just one example of the inconsistencies.  Well wishes for a successful second attempt.

I would encourage you to become an instructor and tackle some of those inconsistencies you've seen. Everyone's different and with individual teaching styles, but the course material is pretty consistent. The one thing they all have in common is that they've volunteered their free time to do it. There's always plenty of room for more instructors.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]