collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Africa.. Day 1  (Read 8408 times)

Offline jetjockey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Africa.. Day 1
« on: June 12, 2015, 01:02:01 PM »
I could have posted this in the water fowl forum, but since a majority of our hunting will be for upland type birds, I posted it here.  Day 1 consisted of goose hunting in the morning, with ducks in the evening.  Now, I'm not a big waterfowl hunter, so I have nothing to really compare this to, but today we shot 29 Egyptian geese this morning, more than 40 ducks this evening, and three more geese this evening while pass shooting. At one point this evening I couldn't touch my barrel, or load shells fast enough to keep up with the influx of ducks.   We also saw a spur wing goose, which is the biggest goose in the world, but couldn't get a shot.   I've been told that Africa has some of the best waterfowl hunting in the world, and after today, I can't disagree.  Tomorrow we shoot driven guinea fowl, doves, and more ducks in the evening.....  I can understand why people fall in love with Africa.  I've seen wild giraffe, wart hogs, ostrich, every kind of "boch" you can imagine, and the sign outside our lodge says "watch out for hippos."  And the sign isn't lying.  It is simply amazing here in Africa.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Africa.. Day 1
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 03:15:55 PM »
 :tup:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 04:11:40 PM »
I could have posted this in the water fowl forum, but since a majority of our hunting will be for upland type birds, I posted it here.  Day 1 consisted of goose hunting in the morning, with ducks in the evening.  Now, I'm not a big waterfowl hunter, so I have nothing to really compare this to, but today we shot 29 Egyptian geese this morning, more than 40 ducks this evening, and three more geese this evening while pass shooting. At one point this evening I couldn't touch my barrel, or load shells fast enough to keep up with the influx of ducks.   We also saw a spur wing goose, which is the biggest goose in the world, but couldn't get a shot.   I've been told that Africa has some of the best waterfowl hunting in the world, and after today, I can't disagree.  Tomorrow we shoot driven guinea fowl, doves, and more ducks in the evening.....  I can understand why people fall in love with Africa.  I've seen wild giraffe, wart hogs, ostrich, every kind of "boch" you can imagine, and the sign outside our lodge says "watch out for hippos."  And the sign isn't lying.  It is simply amazing here in Africa.

I have to ask this. Are you planning on shipping that meat back or what? That's a lot of dead poultry. Looks like good hunting.   :tup:

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 04:16:19 PM »

I have to ask this. Are you planning on shipping that meat back or what? That's a lot of dead poultry. Looks like good hunting.   :tup:

Why?  Why would you care?  I am sure there are people who need the meat there, if he isn't going to ship it back.  Cannot see why you would even ask that?

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 04:17:51 PM »
What country are you hunting?
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 05:19:27 PM »
Why?  Why would you care?  I am sure there are people who need the meat there, if he isn't going to ship it back.  Cannot see why you would even ask that?

Because he doesn't know. The meat will be used at the lodge, taken by the PH, taken by either of the 2 game trackers in the photo, or given to elders in the local village. Nothing goes to waste there.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 05:26:37 PM »
Nice ...can not beat a lot of trigger time  :tup:

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:07:41 PM »
His other thread said South Africa.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 07:12:58 PM »
His other thread said South Africa.
Thank you. I was there in May. Wonderful experience.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 08:35:20 PM »
Spent some time in east Africa in the early 90's and enjoyed shooting lots of birds. Francolin and sand doves I believe they were. We would give them to the Moroccan infantry in trade for smoked duiker. Love to go back one day, shoot some pirate thugs also.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 08:46:14 PM »
Nice

I have a question. Since it is waterfowl I assume the birds fall in some water.
How do you Retreiver them.?
Dogs ?
Or too dangerous for dogs? :dunno:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 08:53:20 PM »
Sounds like a blast!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 09:06:16 AM »

Because he doesn't know. The meat will be used at the lodge, taken by the PH, taken by either of the 2 game trackers in the photo, or given to elders in the local village. Nothing goes to waste there.

That answers it. Thanks.

If you don't ask, you don't learn.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 01:53:28 PM »
Nice

I have a question. Since it is waterfowl I assume the birds fall in some water.
How do you Retreiver them.?
Dogs ?
Or too dangerous for dogs? :dunno:

Yes, they "might" fall in water, but we do have labs to retrieve the ducks.  The "water" isn't much though. 

Today we shot driven guinea fowl, doves, and we finished with another duck hunt..  The hunt I was least looking forward to was the driven hunt.  I honestly thought it would be cheesy, but boy was I wrong.  It might end up being my favorite hunt of the trip.  Guinea fowl act like pheasants on steroids, but flock like geese.  Before I hunted them, I couldn't understand why we don't use dogs to point or flush guinea.  Then I saw them run, and run, and run.   To hunt guinea, you find the flock by watching the fields.  Once you find a flock, you come up with a game plan to have "beaters" push the guineas towards the shooters.  It's a lot like pheasant hunting with pushers and blockers, except guineas won't fly until they absolutely have to.  And when they fly.......WOW!  We had flocks of guineas up to 80-90+ birds fly right past us.  It's unreal!   Guinea fowl are s fsir but bigger than pheasants, and are grey with blue tick marks.  They are beautiful birds and are hard to get flushed in the proper direction.  They make a pheasant drive look like kids play....  Final talley for the day was 18 guinea, God only knows how many doves, 34 ducks, and another goose.

For those of you wondering, all the birds are eather stored properly for mounting, or given to the locals who will eat everything except the bones and feathers.  The doves we killed today we're going to be given to the local school.  Nothing is wasted in Africa...  This place is nothing short of amazing and addicting. 

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 09:13:20 PM »
What a hunt!  The guinea hunt sounds like a blast!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 09:23:59 PM »
jetjockey; Thanks for the post and cool story, hope you have more photos to share.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 10:01:26 PM »
Very cool. Would have never thought of waterfowl hunting in Africa.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 10:03:26 PM »
Sounds like a trip of a lifetime.   Enjoy   :tup:
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 10:14:35 PM »
Very cool. Would have never thought of waterfowl hunting in Africa.
X2, one more reason I want to go to Africa now.
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 08:14:45 AM »
After a 16 hr flight from Joburg to Atlanta, unfortunately I'm back home.  This trip turned out to be more than I ever could have imagined.  Final talley was 7 different types of birds taken (3 kinds of ducks), 86 boxes of shells over 4 days, and one sore shoulder.  We killed egyption geese, ducks, guinea fowl, francolin, doves, and also did some pest control for the farmers and killed crows and pigeons as well.  My favorite hunts were the driven Guinea fowl, and Francolin over the dogs.  Those were also the toughest hunts.  One morning hunt on Francolin produced only two shootable birds and we completly wiffed on both.  Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of the Francolin on my iPhone, but I have Francolin headed to the taxidermist.  Just like here in the states, timing can be everything.  The Francolin hunting was tough due to the maze still being mostly in, but we still managed to bag 11 Francolin.    For those of you wondering, nothing in Africa is ever wasted (well, with the exception of the crows and pigeons which are pests).   The trackers took most of the edible birds while the doves would go the local schools.  When I say nothingis wasted, NOTHING is wasted.  On our last day as we were leaving camp for the airport, locals were on the side of the road butchering a cow that had been hit the night before by a car. 

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 08:16:51 AM »
More

Offline Bwana Bob

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 08:32:33 AM »
Jet,

Looks like you had more than an awesome trip, the bad thing is, Africa will be in your mind and you will have to go back. I made 4 trips to Africa and would like to do one more buff hunt but I will retire next year and can't justify spending $12,000 on another hunt. Still have my 375 H&H and buying lotto tickets so it may be possible.

Your right nothing is wasted in Africa. I had a wonderful tripe stew made from the stomach of the buff I shot in Zambia. No stomach, heart or liver is wasted there. I never shot any birds there but was offered a chance to kill some guinea with a 22.

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 09:29:02 AM »
84 boxes of shells in 4 days sums it up for me!!! wow.  :drool: never burned that through a barrel~

hey shotgun experts, how would this affect that barrel running that hot for a few heat cycles? would you need to replace, check upon return?
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 09:47:11 AM »
Wow that's a lot of fowl! :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline DaMitt Mystagin

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, DU, PF
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 05:03:51 PM »
Looks like a sweet hunt!  Thanks for sharing.

What outfitter/safari company did you go with?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]