collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone have one? DeLorme InReach™ SE Satellite Communicator  (Read 18810 times)

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Anyone have one? DeLorme InReach™ SE Satellite Communicator
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 04:38:42 PM »
I forgot a couple of other things.

The time stamps were super annoying.  I had iOS, my buddy had Android.  When he received my texts... sometimes 30 min later... he'd see the time stamp on the text from when I sent it, which is helpful.  When I got his texts, it just said the time stamp from when I had last refreshed and I'd have no idea what time he sent and get them all at the same time.  I started having him put the time in the text so I knew what time it was that it was sent.

Also, all of the functionality that is on the relatively junky UI on the inreach is not available on the the app.  The ability to send one of your "free" 3 presets and the ability to send your location, are notably missing from the app.  Why is this!?! Give me all the functionality and more on the phone so I dont have to keep going back to my pack to get this thing and send that stuff.

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »
I love my inReach.

Have a friend that is alive today because he had his with him on a rock climb that went bad in the North Cascades.

I don't hunt without it.  Looking forward to the increased functionality as they continue to update the iphone app.

Offline derrickbouwman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 05:25:15 PM »
I love mine. Has worked very well for me. If u aren't in a nasty hole it sends and receives texts very fast. Don't leave without it niw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ghostshell

• Tracker
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 09:45:43 AM »
i have the in reach explorer. i think having navigation was worth the extra $. its awesome, i do miss a satellite phone at times but for the money i cant complain at all yet. have had it every time i headed out this year. its a great tool for your kit.

Offline Elkrunner

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2016, 09:47:17 AM »
I bought that exact device for the same reasons. I was taking a trip down to Utah in April and would be exploring a lot of back roads and would be by myself so I thought it would be a good thing to be able to both communicate with people at home as well as have a rescue signal capability if I got into serious trouble.

I practiced with it before my trip and would suggest anyone trying it out to do the same. Once you get used to the clunky interface, it's a very handy tool. I would send my wife and others a notification in the morning of when and where (GPS lat/long) I was starting from. It would send periodic data points of my location based on how I had it configured. You can set it for sending a lot of points, I think it will go to as low as 10 minute intervals, or a few if you set it for 2 hr or more intervals. I had it set for half hour increments which would usually send about 16-20 points in a day. The recipient can get the messages by either email or text message or both. They can even follow your progress if they want. They can access a topo map using the DeLorme web site tool that displays the location of the points that are sent.

You can also sync the unit with a smart phone which will acts like a GPS with a map that shows your location (which the basic unit cannot do). You can also edit a text message with the synced phone and send it through the SE unit.

I like the feature that gives you a lot of options for paying for the service. You don't have to buy a whole year subscription, just buy for what you need. You can also get unlimited texting service or a standard minimum for a lower fee.

All in all I'd rate it very high, the only issue I have is the interface. I've been dealing with computers most of my adult life so I can roll with that, but I can see where some may have some issues with it. If you get one and would like some help, just drop me a PM.

Thanks for the review. That is just what I was looking for.  :tup:

Adam this would be great..I can track you down whenever I want

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2016, 01:03:11 PM »
I bought that exact device for the same reasons. I was taking a trip down to Utah in April and would be exploring a lot of back roads and would be by myself so I thought it would be a good thing to be able to both communicate with people at home as well as have a rescue signal capability if I got into serious trouble.

I practiced with it before my trip and would suggest anyone trying it out to do the same. Once you get used to the clunky interface, it's a very handy tool. I would send my wife and others a notification in the morning of when and where (GPS lat/long) I was starting from. It would send periodic data points of my location based on how I had it configured. You can set it for sending a lot of points, I think it will go to as low as 10 minute intervals, or a few if you set it for 2 hr or more intervals. I had it set for half hour increments which would usually send about 16-20 points in a day. The recipient can get the messages by either email or text message or both. They can even follow your progress if they want. They can access a topo map using the DeLorme web site tool that displays the location of the points that are sent.

You can also sync the unit with a smart phone which will acts like a GPS with a map that shows your location (which the basic unit cannot do). You can also edit a text message with the synced phone and send it through the SE unit.

I like the feature that gives you a lot of options for paying for the service. You don't have to buy a whole year subscription, just buy for what you need. You can also get unlimited texting service or a standard minimum for a lower fee.

All in all I'd rate it very high, the only issue I have is the interface. I've been dealing with computers most of my adult life so I can roll with that, but I can see where some may have some issues with it. If you get one and would like some help, just drop me a PM.

Thanks for the review. That is just what I was looking for.  :tup:

Adam this would be great..I can track you down whenever I want

We used one in Idaho and it was awesome!
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2016, 08:29:37 AM »
Glad you had a fairly good experience. You noticed the light blinks green in silent mode to let you know you have a new message? 12 days in Idaho this year, and it was a fabulous tool for us... We had 3 in the group.
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2016, 01:07:39 PM »
I actually never knew what the color meant or the light meant.  I keep it on my pack shoulder strap (so it has good access to the sky) and I was wondering if animals were going to see the blinking light.  However, as long as I'm not hunting at night, I cant imagine it'd be a problem.

I do notice that on iOS it does not send push notifications, so you don't see that you have a new message on  your iPhone until you check for messages.  However on Android, you get messages pushed to you whenever they come in.  Android is a better choice from that perspective.

Offline sagewalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 10:08:55 AM »
Love the thing, easy to use and you can pair it with your phone for ease of use. Worked great in Idaho this year. Zero issues.
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 11:05:19 AM »
Use mine every day I'm out of cell coverage.  Has become the standard in the troll fleet.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2017, 12:24:12 PM »
They were just bought by Garmin.  Look on Garmins website https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269
Don't know if they are offering the cheaper version.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline buckmaster_wa

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2017, 07:43:16 PM »
Tagging

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2017, 11:23:55 PM »
Worked great for me - would not try to use without pairing with a smartfone - too cumbersome. 

I'd leave the unit outside the cabin with view of the sky and could sit inside and text with the smartfone, or leave in top pocket of pack and text with smartfone while hiking.  It works inside a tent fine but not inside a cabin.  Sit it on dash or under sunroof and it works in your vehicle also.

I just subscribed for a month then suspended billing until next fall. 

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2017, 11:29:17 AM »
Is the Inreach SE that is being produced by Garmin the same exact thing as the old one that Delorme made? They look slightly different but I'm curious if anyone knows if there functionality or internal make-up are different or if they're still the same thing with slightly different aesthetics. I ask because you can get the Delorme InReach for $250 right now and Garmin has their InReach on their website for $399 but I don't want to pay the extra money if they have the same reliability and functionality.

https://www.amazon.com/Delorme-AG-009871-201-DeLorme-inReach-SE/dp/B00BX7TJ2O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561286/pn/010-01735-00#specs

Offline sagewalker

• Hunter
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »
Reading about the "new" garmin inReach se+, reads the same as the Delorme inReach se to me. Looks to be just a different physical design. Both have tracking, texting , weather and sos features. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal