collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wall Tents Tips and Tricks  (Read 237256 times)

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Re: Wall Tents Tips and Tricks
« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2016, 11:21:34 AM »
So funny this thread came back to life today.  Just setup my bravo 12x18 for the first time today. 👍 My understanding is you are supposed to soak them when they are new to shrink them down. What a well built tent. 1st time up 1 hour 2 guys... 2nd time up 20 minutes one guy. (Painting the joints rocks).

Make sure you stake it down well and allow it to completely dry. When you wet it down.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2016, 11:28:50 AM »
So funny this thread came back to life today.  Just setup my bravo 12x18 for the first time today. 👍 My understanding is you are supposed to soak them when they are new to shrink them down. What a well built tent. 1st time up 1 hour 2 guys... 2nd time up 20 minutes one guy. (Painting the joints rocks).

At your peak, I don't see a rain cover where the ridge pole goes through or is it folded inside.

I would make sure a ridge line is attached front and back in those grommets, and the grommet pulled a little out  past the walls before wetting and su regular use to keep rain from leaking in or I guess a rain fly?

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2016, 11:33:49 AM »

At your peak, I don't see a rain cover where the ridge pole goes through or is it folded inside.

I would make sure a ridge line is attached front and back in those grommets, and the grommet pulled a little out  past the walls before wetting and su regular use to keep rain from leaking in or I guess a rain fly?

Here is mine.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2016, 12:34:29 PM »
Does anybody have any idea a couple led shop lights used with a deep cycle battery/inverter would last as far as battery life goes?

Also Ray Davis at Davis tents told me there was no need to wet the tent down and shrink it. We should have our new 14x16 Davis in a couple weeks and can't wait to spend 10 days in it chasing deer & elk in Montana.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2016, 01:03:04 PM »
I know when I got my Bravo tent 10 or 15 years ago I was told to set it up loose on the frame, wet the inside and outside down and let it dry.

On my frame after I set it up I put colored electric tape on the joints and pipes to color code everything.  I was concerned about the paint rubbing off on the tent.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #200 on: August 22, 2016, 01:29:31 PM »
Year I did the same with the electric tape.

Never heard of putting tent loose on frame. Everyone I know stakes them down so they don't shrink too small.

That's what I did and mine fits frame perfect.

Offline BoomWhop

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #201 on: August 22, 2016, 06:27:04 PM »
Ok ya made me go look.  There are flaps that I did not have placed correctly. I am lucky no paint bleeding into the canvas from the poles. Tent did not shrink at all after 3 soakings inside and out. So exited to use it.
If your gonna be Dumb you better be Tough

Offline losdaddy7

• Longhunter
  • Groups: losdaddy7
« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2016, 12:21:24 PM »
I never get tired of reading through this thread.  I'm hoping to contribute something after this season.....  Thanks for the great ideas. :tup:

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #203 on: September 07, 2016, 06:37:01 PM »
 :yeah: I've read through it 4-5 times  :chuckle:
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2016, 06:12:42 AM »
I bring my four dog everywhere. But my 12x12 doesn't need it during early sept and it can heat the tent plus the two 10x10 kitchen/porch setup as well makes it nice in Washington even next week w the high temps everything is damp after a few days in the jungle.  Dry out, warm up and sleep good is critical to staying after it.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2016, 07:38:44 AM »
Well 6 days from leaving for Muzzy elk and I have been in my pre hunt sleep cycle for over a week.
What this means is I wake up in the middle of the night with solutions to camp problems.

Setting up my wall tent ,I set it up ,pull down the sides go inside and snap in the floor. This involves lifting the tent legs and putting the floor under them.

Woke up last night thinking, Leave the walls up, lay out the floor and work from the out side, pulling the floor towards me. UMMMM I am going to give that a try next Wednesday when I set it up at camp. :chuckle: :tup:

Any other ideas?

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #206 on: October 01, 2016, 07:10:31 PM »
Hopefully someone can help, I got a used tent and I have a frame kit I am cutting for it.  How tight do you want the tent and the frame to fit?  Do I want it to feel right when I slip the frame in, or is a little loose OK?  I don't wanna cut to the wrong length.  Thanks

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2016, 08:13:31 PM »
Do you have a cut list or did you measure the tent?  I got a used tent with frame and the previous owner had my rafters 3" too long and I have to cut them off...I wasn't able to get it setup before I used it for elk camp this year and it made zipping up the door a little difficult so having the right lengths will help. You can see in this pic my rafter is a little long but I made it work...you want it to be snug...you don't want a loose tent flapping around

Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
No cut list, just the parts and the tent.  I figured measure the inseams and cut for that. 

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #209 on: October 01, 2016, 09:30:03 PM »
Does anybody have any idea a couple led shop lights used with a deep cycle battery/inverter would last as far as battery life goes?

Also Ray Davis at Davis tents told me there was no need to wet the tent down and shrink it. We should have our new 14x16 Davis in a couple weeks and can't wait to spend 10 days in it chasing deer & elk in Montana.
We just got back from 2 weeks in Idaho.  My deep cell inverter setup made it close to a week running led Christmas lights, and charging cell phones nightly.  I am going to pick up a solar charger for next year that should give us enough juice for the second week.   This time we just used jumper cables, and charged the battery off of the truck which worked fine as well.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand