collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wall Tents Tips and Tricks  (Read 237427 times)

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Wall Tents Tips and Tricks
« Reply #615 on: September 09, 2020, 07:33:33 PM »
@Pathfinder101

The “@“ thing only works when mods do it for some reason.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #616 on: September 09, 2020, 07:50:24 PM »
asking for a friend......@Pathfinder101

Any tips on fixing a bent frame?

Bent pole, heat it and bend it back.😉

If it breaks get a new pole.🤣

Solid tactic. Hoping that this comment finds it's way to @Pathfinder101 soon. LOL

https://makeitfrommetal.com/how-to-properly-bend-metal-pipe-and-tube-at-home/

Is one pipe bent, or is your whole frame tweaked?

If the whole thing is tweaked you might have multiple poles bent.

But you still have to bend them one at a time to fix them.🤣
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #617 on: September 10, 2020, 08:22:21 AM »
asking for a friend......@Pathfinder101

Any tips on fixing a bent frame?

Bent pole, heat it and bend it back.😉

If it breaks get a new pole.🤣

Solid tactic. Hoping that this comment finds it's way to @Pathfinder101 soon. LOL

OK, so.... Hunt-WA 101...
When you log on and see a number in your profile that says "mentions", you click on it.  That brings you to the thread you were "mentioned" in.  Then you read through it and your elk hunting partner is proposing a backyard project involving a firepit and your wall tent that will allow your wall tent door to close the way it's supposed to (just in case elk camp gets another 3 feet of snow and the temp drops to negative wind chills again this year)... :chuckle: :chuckle:

@coryTDF... you busy this weekend...? :chuckle:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #618 on: September 10, 2020, 09:37:31 AM »

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #619 on: September 10, 2020, 10:12:10 AM »
@CoryTDF

Jeez.. as if you poor moderators didn't already have enough to do... :rolleyes:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #620 on: September 10, 2020, 10:34:38 AM »
@CoryTDF

:chuckle: I believe the tech guys are working on it.  For now I just know it doesn't work unless you are a mod.  If I see one I just redo it so the member gets notified.  You only got the one mention correct?  You should have received two if it was working correct.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #621 on: September 10, 2020, 10:56:23 AM »
@CoryTDF

:chuckle: I believe the tech guys are working on it.  For now I just know it doesn't work unless you are a mod.  If I see one I just redo it so the member gets notified.  You only got the one mention correct?  You should have received two if it was working correct.

Just got a 1

Offline Slamadoo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #622 on: September 11, 2020, 10:12:09 AM »
WoW! What a wealth of knowledge in this thread. For a guy with a new wall tent and preparing for its maiden voyage, a very valuable resource. It only took me 3 days to read through the 42 pages  :chuckle:

Thanks to everyone for their contributions and advice. A few questions.

1) I read several guys stating that they use battery lights inside the tent instead of propane. Is this a safety issue or personal preference? The camps I have been in used propane with no problem, at least not that I was aware of. My plan was to use propane, big bottle-tree-lantern.

2) How many of you guys leave your tent up mid-week while you aren't there? Say between the end of elk and beginning of deer (Eastside).

3) My plan was to use a plastic tarp over the back half of my tent to add another layer of protection from weather (snow) and to help keep any embers from burning holes. I don't plan on tarping the front half because I don't want to deal with working the tarp around the stove chimney and jack. Thoughts?

Thanks
-Slammer

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #623 on: September 11, 2020, 10:24:58 AM »
I'd say there is nothing unsafe about propane light,  its just preference.  The new LED lights are way brighter and last very long with good batteries,  and way easier to move around or grab and go to pack meat out at odark thirty. A safety part for us using LED is our kids 5 and 10 are in camp for 3 weeks and its one less hot something to touch.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #624 on: September 11, 2020, 10:27:45 AM »
As for your tent being up for a period of time.  There's a 14 day stay rule which is up to you to decide how to maneuver?
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #625 on: September 11, 2020, 11:32:09 AM »
WoW! What a wealth of knowledge in this thread. For a guy with a new wall tent and preparing for its maiden voyage, a very valuable resource. It only took me 3 days to read through the 42 pages  :chuckle:

Thanks to everyone for their contributions and advice. A few questions.

1) I read several guys stating that they use battery lights inside the tent instead of propane. Is this a safety issue or personal preference? The camps I have been in used propane with no problem, at least not that I was aware of. My plan was to use propane, big bottle-tree-lantern.

2) How many of you guys leave your tent up mid-week while you aren't there? Say between the end of elk and beginning of deer (Eastside).

3) My plan was to use a plastic tarp over the back half of my tent to add another layer of protection from weather (snow) and to help keep any embers from burning holes. I don't plan on tarping the front half because I don't want to deal with working the tarp around the stove chimney and jack. Thoughts?

Thanks
-Slammer

I moved from propane lights to battery three years ago. Never go back. Propane is brighter some times ,but they are way more sensitive than battery and take up a lot more room. propane seemed to get broke globes .

I set my tents up at beginning of season till day after it ends. But we always have folks in camp.

You can make your own rain fly out of a white tarp in a couple hours. I have two one for each tent. Cut the pipe hole out square 8 inches from stove jack hole on tent. Do it in the back yard. 16 inch eves each side ,12 inches in back , 6 feet out over the door. Mark the fly with marker on all corners where it matches tent frame, Mark it on edge front and back, and center. Makes for easy fitting over tent.

Many guys don't do it , But if you want to cut down on a lot of maintenance and keep it looking good well worth the time to fit a total fly. Eastern WA pitch is a bugger on canvas.

Practice no spark fires. NO Paper burning, no kindlin, use fire starter

Heavy rain dripping in dirt along your tent will make a heck of a mess of your tent. Fly that goes out past the tent helps a lot.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #626 on: September 11, 2020, 11:40:14 AM »
Like this

Well actually that’s two tarps.

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #627 on: September 11, 2020, 11:44:05 AM »
Better fly shot ,no fires season.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #628 on: September 11, 2020, 11:45:47 AM »
Both

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #629 on: September 11, 2020, 12:01:49 PM »
Like this

Well actually that’s two tarps.
Social distancing or day 4 of no showers?   :chuckle:
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal