collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wall Tents Tips and Tricks  (Read 237425 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Wall Tents Tips and Tricks
« Reply #660 on: October 31, 2020, 10:28:17 PM »
Ya, it worked very well!   The bungie was on the side facing the wind, I had a plan to run 2 bungies and run a line vlear over the tent but 1 was enough.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #661 on: October 31, 2020, 10:32:23 PM »
We also ran 3 lines over the tents and staked separately to keep them from ballooning up in the wind, that worked really well.

The lines did rub want to rub a hole in the tarp, not the tent itself though. A cloth or hose would prevent them rubbing.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #662 on: November 01, 2020, 07:00:08 PM »
We also ran 3 lines over the tents and staked separately to keep them from ballooning up in the wind, that worked really well.

The lines did rub want to rub a hole in the tarp, not the tent itself though. A cloth or hose would prevent them rubbing.

I always rig for wind, because it always comes up.
I run a line front and back from the ridge angle.

I wire my stove pipe down inside to the stove. Been in some strong winds.

Our cook shack has held up well in winds too. We stake each leg and throw a rope over the top and anchor to a tree on each side.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #663 on: November 01, 2020, 09:43:11 PM »
I never had a wall te t, but these guts been doing it a long long time, I learned a lot and even contributed a few ideas.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #664 on: November 01, 2020, 09:46:51 PM »
Pretty sure I don't want one now lol

Interested in the kodiak canvas tents

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #665 on: November 05, 2020, 06:35:19 PM »
Well every year we come up with a new idea.

After three weeks plus in the wall tents and cook shack and feeding three stoves every day. One issue has been the wood ends don’t burn up under the baffle. So when you chunk the stove. In am you have to drag those ends towards the door, before adding wood.

Our small stove shovels were not always the best tool for the job.

My handy friend saw the problem and when we got back he made three of these for the stoves. Plate oN One side and pick on other. Three feet long to reach all the way back in those hot stoves.

Very nice. Using one in the house fire place.

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline RockCreek

• Tracker
« Reply #666 on: November 05, 2020, 07:24:53 PM »
 :tup: Ghosthunter. very handy tool.  On the subject of wood stoves and tents I will add 2 more important tools. Nothing worse than packing up your stove pipes without cleaning all the creasote out of them. Next time you try to pull them apart they are welded together.  I have a scraper made from a section of a coffee can attatched to a handle that makes a great scraper and then I found a flue brush on a twisted metal rod about 3' long that I chuck up in a cordless drill.  Couple of strokes with that and the pipes are clean as a whistle and slide together and apart like they were brand new....

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #667 on: November 07, 2020, 09:29:12 AM »
:tup: Ghosthunter. very handy tool.  On the subject of wood stoves and tents I will add 2 more important tools. Nothing worse than packing up your stove pipes without cleaning all the creasote out of them. Next time you try to pull them apart they are welded together.  I have a scraper made from a section of a coffee can attatched to a handle that makes a great scraper and then I found a flue brush on a twisted metal rod about 3' long that I chuck up in a cordless drill.  Couple of strokes with that and the pipes are clean as a whistle and slide together and apart like they were brand new....

We've always drug a big wad of green branches down through them, twisting as you go. Cleans a majority of the buildup out. A wire sweep would be ideal though, I just haven't found one that fits the smaller pipe. Havent really looked though.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline MAVsled

• MAV-HNTR
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/MavHntr
    • MAV's Outdoor Adventures
« Reply #668 on: November 15, 2020, 05:19:28 PM »
and if you old stove pipes stick together...just heat them up.
slip right out with a little "encouragement"

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #669 on: November 15, 2020, 05:34:16 PM »

We've always drug a big wad of green branches down through them, twisting as you go. Cleans a majority of the buildup out. A wire sweep would be ideal though, I just haven't found one that fits the smaller pipe. Havent really looked though.

Coastal sells 3,4,6, and 8” brushes for stove pipes.😉

The one in Mt Vernon is out right now of 3 and 4.🤬
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline BoogerTee

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #670 on: November 16, 2020, 09:02:03 AM »
Looking for Eastern Washington based tent repair. Need a new entry zipper. Any suggestions? Live in Leavenworth. Thanks.

Offline Dale Gribble

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #671 on: November 16, 2020, 10:39:34 AM »
Looking for Eastern Washington based tent repair. Need a new entry zipper. Any suggestions? Live in Leavenworth. Thanks.

Yakima tent and awning does good work. Have had them replace two zippers in one tent and repair seam tears in my other, price is reasonable sort of, but you’re paying for a service that many cannot do so I just bit the bullet and had the work done.

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #672 on: November 16, 2020, 02:22:00 PM »
Lots of great stuff on this thread. Absolutely love hunting out of a tent instead of an rv. The extra room and woodstove make the difference. Lessons do come the hard way if you are new to it. Keep a set of heavy duty welding gloves near the stove for unforeseen disasters with a hot stove. We had a snow bomb fall out of an old growth at St.Helens an t-bone the corner next to the stove one night. It bent the corner and tore the stovepipe off. Some quick scrambling and got it reattached before anything worse. We have a wall jack, a 5" 90 placed in the top of your 6" pipe helps greatly when the wind is squirrely. Lights are a combo of a propane lantern, a couple of battery lanterns and a couple of strings of white led Christmas lights run off the generator. 3 -3/16" cables, turnbuckles and hardware to hold the frame together. You can have them made or diy from Home Depot. The ratchet straps looked great also. Mice, foam earplugs soaked in bacon grease. They will pack them off, eat them and die. We seem to buy a couple of new tarps every year, sure we could of bought a couple of canvas by now. However my partner is pretty good with duct tape making a shield above the stovepipe to keep water from dripping in. Only takes a half moon cut in the tarp. No, shower? I spent 18$ on a portable with a rechargable battery this year, that is a game changer. The guys talking about the wind are spot on, I won't go into that one, please read what they say twice !

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #673 on: November 16, 2020, 08:38:44 PM »
Anyone using eco fans on their wood stoves?

Thinking about getting one.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #674 on: November 16, 2020, 08:44:14 PM »
Anyone using eco fans on their wood stoves?

Thinking about getting one.

We don't have one yet.  I've checked them out on home woodstoves and seems like the cats meow.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal