collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ignorant FB rant  (Read 16785 times)

Offline hdshot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Ignorant FB rant
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2015, 05:23:03 PM »
Share updates about our kids, things going on in life, etc. But I only have people on my friends list that I personally know. I don't allow random strangers access to my information.

That is safe and basically what I preached.  My concern is others will share info to others that are not allowed in that I will be gone or said this or that about someone.  Privacy from the average joe not big brother is where I feel was going.  Don't get on another computer to update FB either!  HaHaHa!             
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2015, 05:49:04 PM »
Share updates about our kids, things going on in life, etc. But I only have people on my friends list that I personally know. I don't allow random strangers access to my information.

That is safe and basically what I preached.  My concern is others will share info to others that are not allowed in that I will be gone or said this or that about someone.  Privacy from the average joe not big brother is where I feel was going.  Don't get on another computer to update FB either!  HaHaHa!             
I don't and won't do face book either. I understand what hdshot is talking about. Even though I'm not on facebook, people still know what I'm up to because everyone I'm friends with is reporting something about me or post a stupid picture of something I'm doing on facebook. I hate it!
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline turkeyfeather

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2015, 05:59:14 PM »

I don't and won't do face book either. I understand what hdshot is talking about. Even though I'm not on facebook, people still know what I'm up to because everyone I'm friends with is reporting something about me or post a stupid picture of something I'm doing on facebook. I hate it!
I hate to yell you but you are having your picture taken of what you are doing many times over everyday.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2015, 06:32:41 PM »

I love people who have never actually used something tell you how it works. As much as I hate to say it Facebook is the future, forums are gently dying off. Which is fine by me as Facebook advertising is free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/employeerights/a/fired-for-facebook.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook-friend-suspected-in-burglary/

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/37986320/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/t/facebook-divorce-lawyers-new-best-friend/#.VW9178vbLIV
All people who were given access to ones FB account. That is information people could readily get anyway. You guys crack me up acting like FB is some big evil monster out to ruin your life.  :chuckle:

Well then tell us what you do on FB then?

Network. Pure and simple.

I started using it when the majority of my buddies joined the military. Super easy to stay current with guys all over the world. Cheaper then a phone call too. Now I use it for advertising, networking, cyber scouting. It's now the best place to see new products, far better then the forums or news print.

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2015, 02:56:28 AM »
It amazes me how quick we are willing to give our information away.  We agree because a service seems free.  But free at what cost.  Data mining through Facebook, Google and even Uber is big business.  And we willingly give away everything on the premise of free social advertising, free social connection and free attention from strangers.

Here is a good article about Tim Cook's recent speech covering such things  http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/apple%e2%80%99s-tim-cook-delivers-blistering-speech-on-encryption-privacy/ar-BBkDbxI?ocid=ansTechCrunch11

I was drawn into signing up and using Facebook to reach a friend.  I entered the absolute minimum amount of information I could to use the service.  If it was not required I did not enter it.  If I could give misleading information to get around a question I did it.  No pictures, no phone number, no school past senior year, no company names, no anything I could possibly omit.  Not ten minutes after setting up my account I began to receive notices asking if I know this person and that person.  I had entered "Self Employed".  Not one single mention of what I do for a living or what my company is.  Yet those people it was asking if I knew were dang near every employee I had ever fired, cousins I had not seen in 30 years, dang near every person I ever loaned money to, members of Hunting-Washington, professors, teachers, friends and even the guy who sold me my last truck.  And better than 90% of the notices were accurate as to whether I knew this person or not.  That is not the type of information one can get by simply knowing a name.  That is mining deep into my records and my companies records. 

But hey, who cares...it's free, right!?
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Southpole

• Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2015, 08:10:53 AM »

I hate to yell you but you are having your picture taken of what you are doing many times over everyday.
what... My point is, people think their facebook page is secure by there settings and limited amount friends, but your not... not by a long shot.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:17:47 AM by Southpole »

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 08:17:54 AM »
It amazes me how quick we are willing to give our information away.  We agree because a service seems free.  But free at what cost.  Data mining through Facebook, Google and even Uber is big business.  And we willingly give away everything on the premise of free social advertising, free social connection and free attention from strangers.

Here is a good article about Tim Cook's recent speech covering such things  http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/apple%e2%80%99s-tim-cook-delivers-blistering-speech-on-encryption-privacy/ar-BBkDbxI?ocid=ansTechCrunch11

I was drawn into signing up and using Facebook to reach a friend.  I entered the absolute minimum amount of information I could to use the service.  If it was not required I did not enter it.  If I could give misleading information to get around a question I did it.  No pictures, no phone number, no school past senior year, no company names, no anything I could possibly omit.  Not ten minutes after setting up my account I began to receive notices asking if I know this person and that person.  I had entered "Self Employed".  Not one single mention of what I do for a living or what my company is.  Yet those people it was asking if I knew were dang near every employee I had ever fired, cousins I had not seen in 30 years, dang near every person I ever loaned money to, members of Hunting-Washington, professors, teachers, friends and even the guy who sold me my last truck.  And better than 90% of the notices were accurate as to whether I knew this person or not.  That is not the type of information one can get by simply knowing a name.  That is mining deep into my records and my companies records. 

I have set my privacy settings so that nobody can even see my profile except people I'm "Friends" with.

This eliminates people I've fired, people who have a grudge against me, etc. from even knowing I'm on there.

Offline turkeyfeather

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2015, 08:44:49 AM »

what... My point is, people think their facebook page is secure by there settings and limited amount friends, but your not... not by a long shot.
If you use a computer at all your not secure. It's comical that you would think avoiding FB would make you secure. I can probably find more detrimental info about you from google than from FB.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline Duckhunter14

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2015, 09:02:17 AM »
I was goose hunting in Montana two years ago, I sent a gal who I was seeing at the time a picture from our morning hunt. We had several limits of honks laid out in front of us and you could see our spread of full bodies behind us. Her response was classic (and yes, she was a blonde); "Oh awesome, great day! I'm surprised after shooting all those the other geese are still just standing behind you guys!" We laughed so hard we fell over picking up dekes. She was quite embarrassed when I told her they were our decoys. But she didn't come from a hunting family so I didn't razz her too much.  :chuckle:

Clint
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline Southpole

• Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2015, 12:24:57 PM »

If you use a computer at all your not secure. It's comical that you would think avoiding FB would make you secure. I can probably find more detrimental info about you from google than from FB.
I'm talking about facebook and the people you directly and personally know. If I'm at a function, or out of town with friends and or family or whatever movement I make with friends and or family around me, I don't want it plastered all over facebook. I've told my close friends I don't my business on facebook, so I can only hope they respect that. You can set your privacy settings as tight as you can, at least one or more of the friends you allow on you page WILL show other people that are not allowed on there. I get people show me pictures of other peoples' facebook page all the time, some I wish I had never seen  :puke: 

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 06:10:57 PM »

It goes both ways. If those guys have similar networks you overlap.

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2015, 09:58:18 PM »
Also the mods of these forums can pull your IP number. That gives them your name address and phone number in most cases. If you use a wireless device they can track that and your habits on that device. But by all means stay off Facebook.

Offline steelnducks

• Hunter
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2015, 01:34:57 PM »
That decoy company should use that for a sales pitch.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]