collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My not so great scouting.  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
My not so great scouting.
« on: July 20, 2015, 07:29:37 PM »
After seeing some nice Bulls a few days ago I decided to do some scouting after work today and find a few new ways into the unit I'm planning on hunting.

I packed up some gear and a new game camera and headed into my spot. As I was going I trekked through a swamp seeing no sign and finally got to a spot to cross a river going through the unit. Hopping along the bank scrambling to get to a downed log to cross I nearly punched a yellowjacket nest sending them into an angry swarm. As I'm standing on a pinnacle getting drilled by the bees I made a jump to get away but one of my pant legs snared and I bellyflopped into the river. Meanwhile that bush ripped my left pant leg nearly halfway off.

As soon as I made my way out I was done with scouting today and now it's time for a cold one.

Elk hunting is hard work. I guess better luck tomorrow.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: My not so great scouting.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 07:40:31 PM »
Sorry about your bad luck. That sounds like something that would happen to me.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:49:41 PM »
I think that counts for three cold ones.  Kind of sounds like most of my outings.

Offline nastybynature

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »
Set my cams up for the first time a few weeks ago and had a similar, but thankfully  much less dramatic experience. Now I am ususally very aware when in the wild especially for cats where i was at. But I was so focused on picking the right tree and getting the right angle i didn't realize i walked right on top of a yellow jackets nest built into a bunch a of pine needles it appeared. I was looking around at the trees and all of a sudden heard a swarm of bees which i recognized from days when my grandfather raised them. So I started looking up as that is always where his honey bees would swarm. About 3 seconds later i realized that they were all at my feet and pissed off. Pretty sure my fat butt somehow did a 4 second 40 yard dash back the way I came and I was not looking back. Scared me more than anything as they for some reason did not follow, but reminded me to be aware of my surroundings at ALL times, even when focusing like I was.

Glad it wasn't worse for you as them lil bas turds can get really mean!
"On every question of construction, carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
--Thomas Jefferson to William Johnson, 1823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 08:51:57 PM »
Had a similar thing happen to me few seasons back. Stepped in a ground nest ancle deep. I tried to run but there was so many dead falls I couldn't gain any distance and after getting stung a dozen times I just turned and fought them. Had bees between me and my pack and between my thigh and holster, in my cargo pockets and in my shirt.  Stopped counting bee stings around 40.   Can get crazy in the woods. Luckily I'm not allergic   Glad you made it out ok
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline magnumb

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:08:22 AM »
Had a similar thing happen to me few seasons back. Stepped in a ground nest ancle deep. I tried to run but there was so many dead falls I couldn't gain any distance and after getting stung a dozen times I just turned and fought them. Had bees between me and my pack and between my thigh and holster, in my cargo pockets and in my shirt.  Stopped counting bee stings around 40.   Can get crazy in the woods. Luckily I'm not allergic   Glad you made it out ok

Exact same thing happened to me while 'shroomin' with my daughter a few years back, only my leg was buried to my knee.  Pulled it out thinking it was just soft ground due to being in a real mossy area.  I heard the sound of a small plane in close proximity and I stopped to try to mark it through the trees.  The first fighter out of the hanger came in completely under my radar and immediately marked my location and he stealthly rose to an elevation of 5'9".  To this day, I truly believe that he had either been mentored by the Red Baron or that he was him in the flesh.  Without any warning, he strategically placed his first and only shot just slightly above my left eye.  I never even saw him. 

Once again, back on semi-solid ground, I yelled at my daughter to run.  Kids hardly ever listen and even less often do they do what's asked of them.  The urgency in my voice must have seemed quite sincere because without any hesitation whatsoever, she was off like a deer.

We hit the loggin' road about the same time, huffin and puffin'.  We both kinda laughed because such circumstances are thankfully rare and we'd not seen each other ever quite so 'focused'.  She looked over at me and yelled, "look at your pants!".  I looked down and from my knees on down, my jeans were black with dozens of bald faced hornets.  They were stuck to my jeans like glue trying their best to bite/sting me through my jeans!  Tenacious SOB's!!!

I just started to slap at them as one would a mosquito and I'd kill 3-4 at a time against my jeans until I rid myself of them.  I've learned to love my Levi's..... ;).  These SOB's were so intent on gettin' through my jeans, they paid absolutely zero attention to the slaughter going on around them.  A minute or 2 later, I was free and clear and we were both safely in my truck.

Total bites/stings.......1.  Fear of small plane sounds while in the woods.....alot.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:27:50 AM by magnumb »

Offline brokenvet

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, Marlin Owners, M14forum
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 12:56:21 PM »
Your wet, in the woods and your a hunter, the shoe fits.

Good thing you were injured or drowned. 
Semper FI

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 02:34:37 PM »
I'm not laughing at you; I am laughing with you :chuckle:

Glad you got out without a more severe injure.  This event will make that elk backstrap taste that much better!
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline jeffitz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 08:12:02 PM »
I know a bowhunter who got into a nest in the Siouxon years ago and got stung so many times he thought it was gonna kill him,said he even passed out for awhile after he got away from them
If you're gonna be dumb,you gotta be tough.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 12:32:34 PM »
Stepped into a nest last year, ran a record setting 1/4 mile back to my truck and still was being stung repeatedly after getting into my truck. Ended up killing 2 that would not stop stinging. Yellow jackets creep me out

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 12:55:42 PM »
Your wet, in the woods and your a hunter, the shoe fits.

Good thing you were injured or drowned.

This was well played!

Offline Seahawk12

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 01:00:56 PM »
Way to keep your sense of humor about it.  :tup:
Thanks for the chuckle.  Life gets pretty hilarious sometimes as long as we can laugh at ourselves.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter