collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: whats a good rifle caliber for bear  (Read 16743 times)

Offline swashington2128

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: whats a good rifle caliber for bear
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2015, 01:37:23 PM »
I was out with a friend of mine a few years ago and he nailed a nice grey bearded sow with a 270. She died about 50 yards from the shot. This was my only bear experience and not sure if this is an issue with the caliber or not but she did not bleed. We found her the next day without a single drop being found. The fat on her sealed her up as soon as the bullet pass through.

I am shopping for my girlfriends first rifle right now and am going with the 7MM-08. Low recoil, flat shooting, and lots of energy. would be a good choice for everything Washington has to offer.

As for me, I wear my Ruger Scout Rifle in a 308. Usually with a Vortex 1-4x. Great rifle/scope combo for anything under 200 yards.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2015, 08:10:48 AM »
Might consider a 7x57 (7mm Mauser).  Good bullet choices and usable for other game animals without jarring recoil.  Probably killed more elephants on the dark continent than any other caliber.  It's also a classic.  :tup:
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2015, 09:36:53 AM »
I was out with a friend of mine a few years ago and he nailed a nice grey bearded sow with a 270. She died about 50 yards from the shot. This was my only bear experience and not sure if this is an issue with the caliber or not but she did not bleed. We found her the next day without a single drop being found. The fat on her sealed her up as soon as the bullet pass through.

I am shopping for my girlfriends first rifle right now and am going with the 7MM-08. Low recoil, flat shooting, and lots of energy. would be a good choice for everything Washington has to offer.

As for me, I wear my Ruger Scout Rifle in a 308. Usually with a Vortex 1-4x. Great rifle/scope combo for anything under 200 yards.

Shot my bear on the 5th of September with a 30-06 and it didn't have a blood trail at all, but it had blood EVERYWHERE where it died at. That was a heart/double lung shot to. The combination of fat and thick hide/hair make for one tough animal. They do go down quick with a well placed shot thougj. Mine went about 45 yards but did weigh 326 lbs, so it was a tough old Sow. My guess is around 12-15 years of age. Guess ill find out when get tooth results back. My recomendation is .270 as a min for bear.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline hunhntr

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA, LCSA, PF,DU,RGS
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2015, 10:21:20 AM »
Any thoughts on Remington 260?

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2015, 10:22:38 AM »
.243 and up. They all kill great with a proper placed bullet.........
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal