collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Will the deer still be there?  (Read 8312 times)

Offline Huntsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Will the deer still be there?
« on: September 20, 2015, 07:53:12 PM »
So long story short... I went on the high buck hunt this weekend and found some nice bucks. I put a perfect stalk on and caught the big one in his bed at 120 yds. I shoot 4 times with the same result (a miss). I guess some of my falls hit my scope or something, but I checked the zero when I got back and I was off 24". I thought leupolds were tough, but that's a different story and still my fault.

Ok, so here's my question. Will that buck and the others stay in that same basin/area after me shooting at them? It is very secluded and hard to get to, but I'm scared I educated them. Anybody else been through this and able to find them again in muzzleloader or modern season?

I appreciate anything you can send my way. Thanks.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
Re: Will the deer still be there?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 07:56:51 PM »
Only one way to find out. I'd say there's a decent chance they still be there so long as other guys didn't hear you shooting and move in there.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »
I think they will still be in there

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 09:53:51 PM »
Dang, more equipment fails!  I'd guess if the deer saw you, he's probably making his beds inside the edges now.  Who knows though.  He might have come back that evening to that same spot.  He's likely not very far away if he's not there.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Huntsman

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 09:21:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies. It's a bear to get back in there, so I was just curious if it would be worth going back considering I shot at him. As far as the equipment, I was running a Leupold VX-3 with Talley one piece rings on a Tikka superlite 7mm. That thing was dead on at 200 yds when I left, but I did take a few falls throughout the day. I'm still sick to my stomach thinking about it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:39:28 AM by Huntsman »

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 09:42:03 AM »
I heard a story like this once. Missed a gnarly old bull SIX times. He thought he bumped the scope but checked it back at camp and it was fine. Sounds like your problem is easier to fix.
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline Huntsman

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 05:28:09 PM »
I was definitely amped up for the first shot, but after the second miss I knew there was a problem. I tried to adjust the last 2 shots in different directions but still no luck. Just have to hope that he and the others are still in there come October.

Offline klikboom

• Scout
  • Die Living ... if you have a choice.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 05:35:56 PM »
Shoot I'm using those 1 piece rings too, and I go places that usually result in falls. Hope they hold up.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 05:55:28 PM »
Lots of variables.  Brush wedged in your barrel channel?  Loose mounts?  Bad scope?  Same ammo?  They  probably will not go far until winter comes but far for a mule deer is a relative term.  There range can be pretty big.

Offline getreal711

• 1ST Sergeant
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 06:31:28 PM »
A few years ago I had a 4pt mulie buck that was on a ridgeline about 200yrds away. After 3 shots and frustrations I moved closer. 3 more shots same results. Each time I moved closer and he never even looked my way with each shot. I had sighted in at 100yds the previous day. At 100yds I fired my last 3 rds and he never moved. So off I went back down the mountain to my aunts house and sight in again. And reload my ammo. Found out something internal to my scope broke. No matter what I did to adjust it nothing worked. Grabbed my uncles rifle and checked it on the targets. Dead nuts. Headed back up the mountain and he wasnt on the ridgeline. I moved over to that ridgeline and started walking down checking bedding areas on each side. Soon found a doe standing watch. Not far away was a slight movement. I scoped it and found my 4pts bedded down showing only 1 side and his ear twitching. Moved within 75yds and took my shot. The buck stood up but didnt move. Shot again and he dropped. As I moved in to check his size I see that one shot in the neck did the trick. then I noticed a clean shot through a front hoof. Apparently the first shot with him bedded bown went through his hoof. He stood not knowing where to go and the second neck shot did the job. I never expected to see him a second time that day but he was only about 200yds from where I first spotted him. If the buck you found never knew you were shooting at him he should still be nearby.
29 yrs Army as an instructor with weapons and transportation. Now play time at my own expense.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 06:52:58 PM »
He'll still be in the same range but probably in his secondary locale.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 07:07:06 PM »
How bad did you spook the deer, did they simply move into cover or did they run over the top of the ridge?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Huntsman

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 07:46:04 PM »
I came at them from above. He literally stood broadside without moving for four straight shots. After I ran out of ammo, I just sat there because I had left the rest of my ammo in my dropped bag (another mistake). I don't think they ever saw me, but after another 15 seconds he trots off down the hill and then the other deer follows him. They stop again at the bottom for another minute and then enter the trees. I checked for blood everywhere, but then decided to pack out since I knew something was wrong with the rifle. I'm taking it to the range to diagnose the problem this weekend.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 08:58:25 AM »
Sounds like it may be worth the hike back in there.  I don't think you spooked him. He was likely just nervous from the sound of the shots and dust flying around him as the slugs hit close by.  Let us know what happens.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline gilroym

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 05:08:03 AM »
Our property is a traveling point for deer they don't ever stay they just wonder through each day. Even after we shoot or kill one they walk right back in the same place the next day. Also two weeks ago my nephew killed a white tail and while she dropped and bleed out a spike stood right next to her eating grass.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]