collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where'd the pheasants go?  (Read 6249 times)

Offline Zuus

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hunter
Where'd the pheasants go?
« on: October 30, 2015, 07:10:19 PM »
Just got back from a week of pheasant hunting in the Pomeroy, Central Ferry area. Poor dogs hunted their butts off for us and we only found ONE bird. And it jumped up 75 yards out in front of us. Not one shot fired. A large group of hunters staying in the same CG were having the same kind of luck.
Last year, the two of us limited two days and got three birds between the two of us the last day. What happened to all the birds?
"Just cause you got a big mouth, don't make you a big man"  John Wayne

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Where'd the pheasants go?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 07:27:34 PM »
Wow, that's disappointing! I thought there would be lots of birds this year after the warm/dry spring.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 09:50:37 PM »
I was talking  to a group of 3 guys in pomeroy who were hunting last weekend. They had killed 3 birds in 1 afternoon with no dog. They said they were just screwing around.
:dunno:
My inlaws are of the opinion that there are more pheasants than normal this year.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Zuus

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 06:39:34 AM »
The birds must have just migrated out of the areas we hunt. Or they have moved into private land. Or those three guys are the luckiest guys in Pomeroy!!
"Just cause you got a big mouth, don't make you a big man"  John Wayne

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 07:40:53 AM »
The birds must have just migrated out of the areas we hunt. Or they have moved into private land. Or those three guys are the luckiest guys in Pomeroy!!

I'm pretty positive they were hunting private ground, which I'm sure helped. They were at my inlaws house for a quick visit. I never did ask specifically where they were hunting.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 08:08:49 PM »
Hunted this weekend as well near colfax, 2 days hunting we saw 2 roosters and 2 hens, 1 rooster died and was a holdover bird,the other rooster flushed 100+ yards wild. the saving grace for the weekend was having an absolute hoot hunting quail, I'd guess we moved 4-5 hundred birds in various covey sizes from 25 to 100+ birds.I know that one covey was at least 100 birds,they flushed in groups of 20+ for 5 minutes.Tough shooting though,in the trees and that neck high red brush on a hillside.Totally fun and the dogs did a great job finding the ones we knocked down deep into the brush.I hunted all that area from Pomeroy to lamont and all points between starting 20 years ago.There flat out is only 10% of the pheasants there used to be,yet another species the state has mismanaged into threatend status if you ask me.Released birds on the eastside I'd guess is where the most success is taking place.I talked an hour last week with a guy I used to lease 1000 acres from in wheat country,he has been seeing 20 or so birds hanging around when he does his daily mile and a half walk.He commented that 40 years ago that number being triple digits.Avian predators,ground predators,modern farming that leaves virtually no waste,and mother natures weather are to blame.It is great to have a nice warm dry spring for nesting but when that turns to summer drought conditions your chicks are going to starve to death because their diet is comprised of mostly bugs.Follow that up with a long season and generous bag limit and then a hard winter and................ well you get where we are today.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 08:15:36 PM »
It was a ridiculously dry year on this side, it may have something to do with it. I have not seen many pheasants this year either. I did see good numbers of quail and huns though
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Sumpnneedskillin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 08:21:26 PM »
From what I've seen pheasant numbers are up but not the best I've seen.  They were running around good til about deer season and poof they're gone.  Have seen a couple but not like we were several weeks ago.
What's the most dangerous thing said in the US Navy? -- A Chief Petty Officer saying "Watch this s$%^!!"

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
President John F. Kennedy

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 05:57:19 AM »
I was in Pomeroy for the rifle deer season and saw a couple roosters while driving to my camp up Sweeny gulch, on private farm land of course, but it was good to see some. I will be checking out some private ground along the Palouse river right after elk season.

Offline wonder

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 12:13:28 PM »
Glad I read this thread, I'm heading over there for Dad's weekend on Friday and was hoping to check out some decent spots from Colfax to the Palouse.  At least now I won't be disappointed.

Is there really much Feel Free to Hunt land in that direction.  Looked over the maps on the WDFW and the only places I saw were just SouthEast of Colfax?

Thanks for the info and glad some of you at least got into other birds!

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 12:21:02 PM »
Most birds I've seen in several years.  Can't wait to get out in December.

Offline Injun kid

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 01:46:21 PM »
I think the pheasants had a case of the blue tongue this year lol

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 04:23:35 AM »
I have not been out this year for birds yet but cant wait... I hope to get out in December and I always hit the last part of the season in January.. My bird hunting buddies have all flaked out this year, anybody want to let me tag along?
If its brown knock it down

Offline zike

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 03:12:54 PM »
I hunted the senior hunt central Ferry this year and there wasn't many birds then. The state usually stocks for the youth and senior hunts, but not so much this year.

Offline Forks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA Phes. Forev.
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 07:15:48 PM »
They're all at this Montana gay bar!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]