collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Late rifle packwood/south rainier  (Read 7473 times)

Offline 270Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Late rifle packwood/south rainier
« on: November 08, 2015, 07:07:41 PM »
Anybody have any experience doing the late rifle hunt in this area? I'm considering on of these units since they are fairly close to home and I'm just looking to fill the tag, any buck will do. What are the deer numbers like? And those with experience, how do you hunt the area? Hunt clear cuts? Drive the road? (I'm being serious here). Any help or points on how to hunt the thick stuff would be much appreciated!

Offline bfranklin81

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
Re: Late rifle packwood/south rainier
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 10:57:07 PM »
I'm in the same boat on this one. Struck out during general season and just need to get some meet in the freezer. Any advice/tips the local guys can offer up would be greatly appreciated.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:01:35 PM »
I don't know too much about deer in those units, but from what I've heard, the genetics are good but bucks can be few and far between.

Offline kukusya

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 05:20:21 AM »
I was in Packwood this weekend for elk hunting, dint find any legal bulls but flash buck and doe at same area couple of times. 46.618172,-121.698716 this is exact location where I flush them. Park your car by yellow gate and start walking look at 1/4 mile in start looking at your left, after 1/2 miles road turn left so keep following deer staying between creek and road.

Offline kukusya

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 05:42:44 AM »
Afternoon you can fish for jacks right under bridge on Skate Creek road S. It bite on dick-nite or pink yarn with salmon eggs.

Offline Dslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 06:55:42 AM »
I love to hunt the Tatoosh though I haven't done it for awhile.  It is demanding hiking and packing, but very productive.  Park at either trailhead and hike into and above the snowline.  If you can get to about the 4400 level off the Cannon Rd. TH, there are some nice benches in there to hang up on.  If you go up from the Butter Creek TH, and can get to a trail marked "Trail Abandoned," take that trail across the basin-do it slowly and out to a big hillside over the next drainage and hang out there-that's about 5200 feet.   Sounds like the snow line will be below that by the weekend of the season, so they'll be pushed more to the Cannon Rd side in that case. 

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 07:41:48 AM »
Not a lot of deer.  The NF hasn't had any new clear cuts in years.  If you want to kill something hope for snow and follow fresh tracks.  And I like the Packwood side better.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 07:44:46 AM »
Bring back helicopter logging.

Offline Schmalzfam

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 09:08:55 AM »
Last year I hunted Packwood for elk. Only came across one small 2 point and a bigger buck on the river. It is very thick and didn't notice any newer clear cuts. There wasnt any snow, so cold weather could change things, if we did get some of these storms they're talking about. I was hunting elk,  so we stayed fairly low, on private land. We stayed at the first hotel you come to and a lot of people were taking the road directly across the highway and heading up in the hills.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 09:52:02 AM by Schmalzfam »

Offline Remnar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »
 Deer numbers are very low in both units . No new clearcuts per say . Still hunt the timber .

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 05:00:36 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. I will still probably give it a shot.

Offline Schmalzfam

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 10:46:10 AM »
So, I busted out my map from when I went there and there was a large chunk of land on Snyder mountain, we started to explore, but with our time, we had to cut it short.  I think if you get out and explore, you'll do fine. There is smaller reprod, if I remember right. Look for little sput roads, to the right up there if you go and just walk them. Most did open a bit. You'll do fine, if nothing else chalk it up as a new adventure accomplished ; ) that's how I look at it! Good luck.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 01:45:05 PM »
I used to archery hunt the S. Rainier unit.. We saw a few deer here and there. Never very many, but the few bucks we did see were some dandies.. These were all in a wilderness area though, not roaded timberlands..

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 02:04:24 PM »
So, I busted out my map from when I went there and there was a large chunk of land on Snyder mountain, we started to explore, but with our time, we had to cut it short.  I think if you get out and explore, you'll do fine. There is smaller reprod, if I remember right. Look for little sput roads, to the right up there if you go and just walk them. Most did open a bit. You'll do fine, if nothing else chalk it up as a new adventure accomplished ; ) that's how I look at it! Good luck.

Used to get dropped off on top of Snyder and hunt down into Packwood lake. Then walk out the lake trail and get picked up. Rel fun day trip and plenty of animals along the way.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline bfranklin81

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 10:48:58 PM »
Would anyone recommend any better areas nearby? Randle? Stormking? Any input helps. I have an empty freezer and need to fill my tag!

Offline Thehowler

• Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 11:01:47 PM »
Good luck on your hunt everyone.
MAGA, Never give up.

Offline swisski

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 08:18:45 PM »
I love to hunt the Tatoosh though I haven't done it for awhile.  It is demanding hiking and packing, but very productive.  Park at either trailhead and hike into and above the snowline.  If you can get to about the 4400 level off the Cannon Rd. TH, there are some nice benches in there to hang up on.  If you go up from the Butter Creek TH, and can get to a trail marked "Trail Abandoned," take that trail across the basin-do it slowly and out to a big hillside over the next drainage and hang out there-that's about 5200 feet.   Sounds like the snow line will be below that by the weekend of the season, so they'll be pushed more to the Cannon Rd side in that case.

PM Sent

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal