collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cougar Tips  (Read 138015 times)

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Re: Cougar Tips
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2015, 10:06:04 PM »
I'd have to have a lot of trust for someone to shoot a cat sitting just over my shoulder  :chuckle:

"hold still while I shoot this apple off your head"

:chuckle:  hopfully he sees it long before its over my shoulder.   The way we plan it he shoots if the cat hangs up or as it's leaving. In turn he gets to sit up above the action while I run the call. He dosent have to even move a mussel sept his eyes. While I sit in the thick stuff running the call from my hiddy hole allowing me a little more movement ( hand running the call)  hasn't worked out yet but he gets to hunt my spots with out having to do the leg work,and I get a little back up in case it hits the fan or the cat hangs up above my view or out of range.   
So far all my call ins have been solo trips but one. When I called in the 3 cats I was with my friend Jackey, the day I learned to always check my battery's  we were scouting for her elk hunt and I was after bear when we found a fresh track. Setup to call and ecaller was dead. So I used a hand call :bdid:  when the first 2 cats started whistling every time I did I got excited. I was focused on the whistles,then we got the gargle cough from a diffrent cat that was 30-40 yards away and we couldn't see it. She was frozen in fear( I just thought she was doing great at sitting still)  she says the older cat came in from below us and moved over to where we heard the gargle cough.  If my ecaller had worked I'd bet we would have at least gotten a visual but with a hand call all eyes were on me.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2015, 12:39:06 PM »

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/audioPop.jsp?episodeId=246630&cmd=apop

I learned a heck of a lot from this broadcast, well worth a listen when you got a spare 30 minutes or so.

It takes patience and time to really understand and put into practice all the information that's in this broadcast.  I called in three lions last year, was busted twice and a 3rd cat I didn't see until it was too late.  I'm just a beginner right now, but I'm seeing the light and getting a grasp on what it takes to call lions routinely, not just stumbling into a successful call but being able to get out there and have a reasonable shot at success.

Most important thing is to call areas that hold lions, then you need to know where to position yourself so you could actually see the dang thing approach, and hold rock still for a solid hour, and not get busted just walking in.  You also want to hide the call so I gave up on decoys all together, opting to hide the call in a natural depression.  The cat will sneak to the call until it can see where the sound is coming from then most of the time just sit and study it, eventually get bored and look around, this is where you get busted so better to have gotten your shot off already.

It really makes calling coyotes child's play I think.   The only real upshot is wind isn't as big of factor as with coyotes, but you can't hold too still for cats, can't emphasize this enough.  I don't think I've been busted by smell alone.  Mostly I'm busted walking in setting up so it's better to scout locations and approaches ahead of time then go in another day to call.

Good luck, the lion numbers are greatly in your favor and I hope that calling lions is demystified, we need to put all of them we can in the dirt.

Listened to some of this last night. The guy talked about how you should watch cats because they all act the same (house cats, bobcats, cougars). So today for a bit of practice I called in my cat. It was actually a ton of fun to play with her.
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2015, 01:12:42 PM »

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/audioPop.jsp?episodeId=246630&cmd=apop

I learned a heck of a lot from this broadcast, well worth a listen when you got a spare 30 minutes or so.

It takes patience and time to really understand and put into practice all the information that's in this broadcast.  I called in three lions last year, was busted twice and a 3rd cat I didn't see until it was too late.  I'm just a beginner right now, but I'm seeing the light and getting a grasp on what it takes to call lions routinely, not just stumbling into a successful call but being able to get out there and have a reasonable shot at success.

Most important thing is to call areas that hold lions, then you need to know where to position yourself so you could actually see the dang thing approach, and hold rock still for a solid hour, and not get busted just walking in.  You also want to hide the call so I gave up on decoys all together, opting to hide the call in a natural depression.  The cat will sneak to the call until it can see where the sound is coming from then most of the time just sit and study it, eventually get bored and look around, this is where you get busted so better to have gotten your shot off already.

It really makes calling coyotes child's play I think.   The only real upshot is wind isn't as big of factor as with coyotes, but you can't hold too still for cats, can't emphasize this enough.  I don't think I've been busted by smell alone.  Mostly I'm busted walking in setting up so it's better to scout locations and approaches ahead of time then go in another day to call.

Good luck, the lion numbers are greatly in your favor and I hope that calling lions is demystified, we need to put all of them we can in the dirt.

Listened to some of this last night. The guy talked about how you should watch cats because they all act the same (house cats, bobcats, cougars). So today for a bit of practice I called in my cat. It was actually a ton of fun to play with her.
I do that too. It is fun. Try it on feral cats, little tougher to call. My friend Jackey lives next to a hay field and there are some barn cats that hunt it after dark. When I go out for a smoke I like to turn on my hat light and lip squeak one in as close as I can. Sofar I haven't gotten them to cross the fence but I did call in a double once :chuckle:  some times they just make a b-line straight at me but most like to stalk in slow. Some will just sit and stare my way. I bet if I added a laser pointer to my gear I could get them to cross the fence
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline jpharcher

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • "Aim Small, Miss Small!"
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2015, 01:59:23 PM »
I am trying to figure out how to hunt them in this thick Kitsap/Mason county country.....

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2015, 02:08:25 PM »
I'm going to add a powerful laser pointer to my lion calling setup  :tup:

Offline jpharcher

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • "Aim Small, Miss Small!"
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2015, 02:11:55 PM »
for?

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2015, 02:25:41 PM »
I'm going to add a powerful laser pointer to my lion calling setup  :tup:
:chuckle: oh ya that's going to make for an exciting hunt :tup: maybe even get one that comes with the screw on caps that project a critter of some sort :chuckle:

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2015, 08:35:20 PM »
I am trying to figure out how to hunt them in this thick Kitsap/Mason county country.....

Same. It's almost too close of quarters to feel safe.
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2015, 09:39:44 PM »

Same. It's almost too close of quarters to feel safe.

I'm over in Sequim. Same here. You know they're here, so you just have to make do. One thing I end up doing, especially by myself, is to set up with a natural barrier to the rear. They'll avoid it, making them go around you. They're not too dangerous! (Yet! Wait til they get toooo overpopulated!)
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2015, 01:57:32 PM »
I'm looking to just go out, cut a fresh track and walk it out should the snow be shallow enough.

I give myself a 50/50.

Am I dreaming?
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline lil_mac

• Pilgrim
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »
I'm looking to just go out, cut a fresh track and walk it out should the snow be shallow enough.

I give myself a 50/50.

Am I dreaming?

Was wondering the same thing

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2015, 05:00:50 PM »
Best piece of cougar advice I can give,
Buy her a few drinks and compliment her beauty :tup:
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2015, 05:48:37 PM »

I give myself a 50/50.

Am I dreaming?
i don't know about 50/50 but it has been done before. I have tried it my self but have not been successful yet.  Prepare to walk a long ways and threw some nasty stuff. They don't seem to care how thick or how steep it is they just wonder up and down like its nothing.  Found some tracks on a blow down yesterday but I'm thing young cougar or tom bobcat. Had to tell cause the cat was slipping as it walked. Snow was starting to melt and the trees where dripping like crazy so I lost the tracks quickly.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2015, 06:00:45 PM »
how is this for a call in story?
A Washington bowhunter went through 18 lives with one arrow on Monday when he bagged two mountain lions at the same time.
Ben Hendrickson, 36, of Spokane and his friend Rod Noah, 58, of Chattaroy had been hunting the woods of Pend Oreille County for elk when the cat fluke occurred.
The two had been hunting elk for several days with little luck. That situation changed Monday evening when Noah called in what he thought was a deer.
 “I was nearby, but Rod was doing the calling, so they were homed in on him,” Hendrickson told the Spokesman-Review. When the “deer” raised its tail, Noah immediately recognized it as a cougar. With a lion tag in his pocket, Noah took the 32-yard shot. “I’ve never even seen a mountain lion in the wild,” Noah said. “I didn’t hesitate at the chance.” Noah took the animal with a broadside shot. Then he waited.
“Heck, I needed a few minutes to get my heart rate down,” Noah said. Despite the adrenaline rush, Noah knew his shot was good. “I was using a lighted nock and it looked like a flare going right behind its front leg,” he said. “The lion jumped and crashed through brush out of sight down the hill, but I knew I’d smacked him hard.”
The two men followed the blood trail even though they were both sure the lion went in the opposite direction. “I thought the lion had gone left, but a blood trail doesn’t lie, so we followed it straight down the hill,” Noah said.
Once they found the animal the two called a taxidermist who instructed them to bring the animal in immediately for skinning. As the two were dragging the cat up the hill Hendrickson noted that the wound on the animal didn’t match the shot he’d seen Noah take.
“We look at the cat and the wound is right in the middle of his chest,” Noah explained. “I said, ‘That’s not right.’” The men went back to the site where the cat was shot only to find another dead catamount not 15 yards from where it had been shot. That’s right. Noah unknowingly shot two cougars with one arrow.
“He hit both cougars with one shot and they ran a short way and died almost right next to each other,” Hendrickson said. This revelation presented a problem though as hunters are only allowed one lion per season. Hendrickson admits his first thought wasn’t very honest. “I had a tag and the first thought was for me to just tag it and that’s that,” he said. “But then we wouldn’t be able to tell the story, which is too amazing.”
The men called the authorities. “So we called the game warden,” Noah said. “I didn’t know how it was going down, but we figured that was the right thing to do.”
Washington Fish and Wildlife Department officer Severin Erickson arrived on scene in less than an hour, listed to the men’s story, then gave his seal of approval.
“Their story all checked out,” Severin said. “Technically, it would be double-bagging – two cougars with one arrow – but it was an honest mistake. Legally, they’re required to check in with us and they did. Officers have discretion in these cases. I had to give him a warning, but there was no citation.”
Honesty is always the best policy.

Congratulations, Noah. That was a one-in-a-million shot.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »
for?

Oh sorry I missed this.

I was just being funny, it was in reference to house cats chasing around laser pointers and the seminar I linked earlier talking about watching house cats to see how lions might act.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal