collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New hunter with Son wanting to start hunting in 2016  (Read 20549 times)

Offline kschadel

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: New hunter with Son wanting to start hunting in 2016
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 11:04:59 AM »
This is my second year hunting and first year filling my tag and harvesting. I was super nervous about the smell, but it honestly wasn't that bad. I met a gentleman on the woman's forum and went hunting with him this year. He has harvested the last three years and was able to show me the ropes. I watched numerous youtube videos to get acclimated to what I would experience in the field. Just getting familiar with what it looks like is a huge help. Then if it's possible to harvest with someone that's done it before, that helps too. Bottom line, don't be afraid to just dive in. The biggest thing for me with harvesting is that you have to be careful with your first cuts. It's awful if you nick the bladder, bowels, or gut sack, so make shallow cuts. There are a couple ways to harvest, so check them out. But if you can go with someone that's done it before, I highly recommend it. The guy I went with would process one quarter and then I would do the other.

Bottom line, have fun and dive in! It's a blast!

Offline James E

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 03:28:36 PM »
My son started out with a .243 at an early age. I would stay away from youth rifles. He will out grow them.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 03:50:44 PM »
My son started out with a .243 at an early age. I would stay away from youth rifles. He will out grow them.

The Vanguard/Howa full size stocks are for sale all over the internet for <$50.  I think they come in a package deal and people sell them.  That is another reason I mentioned the Vanguard up thread.   

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 07:45:14 PM »
really great info folks, it is helping me bigtime. :tup:

Gun wise I am leaning very strongly toward working on training and having him use my AR.  The adjustable stock makes it very easy to adjust for him and the grendel is very light recoil with plenty of power for big game.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 08:58:07 PM »
really great info folks, it is helping me bigtime. :tup:

Gun wise I am leaning very strongly toward working on training and having him use my AR.  The adjustable stock makes it very easy to adjust for him and the grendel is very light recoil with plenty of power for big game.

Very good reasoning regarding the adj stock.  I had a bunch of loose parts in my "bag of tricks," including a light weight barrel and adj stock - so I put together an AR for my six-year old to shoot. 

Re: the 6.5 Grendel, it has marginally enough power for big game.  It is just fine IF you hit them where they need to be hit (right in near the middle of the big part).  But then throw in the FACT that you have no experience blood trailing big game. 

You really want to have a big game animal leaking buckets of blood with a double lung hit ESPECIALLY in western Washington's rain and our heavy foliage.

Our ungulates, black tail deer and especially elk, have notoriously high tenacity of life.  They are tough customers and being DRT (dead right there) is the exception.  Do a search and read about what I recommend for slug gun hunting blacktails and you will see that I am all about a 12 gage slug WHERE I HUNT because it will cause a LEAK that ANYONE can follow.   

I am saying 7mm-08 because it has enough energy, out where it counts, and enough oomph bullet i.e. weight and integrity, out where it counts, to shoot through if you don't get a piece of shoulder going in and break the game down DRT.  The 308 others recommend likewise. 

With that 6.5 Grendel you are starting with a 6.2x39 case and I have serious reservations regarding energy out where he might shoot.  If the range is close and bullet performance is what the bullet was designed to deliver at impact velocity, every thing MAY work out just fine.... may be.  But you guys need a big leak if everything does not work out as you planned and an entrance hole NEVER bleeds like an exit hole. 

I come up against this 6.5 Grendel/300 Blackout question often because so many new to the game hunters have ARs.  Yes, in the hands of an experienced hunter, they are viable options.  I think that they are championed because every one who hunts wants to see new hunters join our ranks though.   

My advice is:  if your family budget can absorb it, and it sounds like this is an option,  go afield with an honest to God big game rifle that the lad can comfortable handle the recoil from.   

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 09:37:53 PM »
Regarding a good place to take your son deer hunting, although it is not my place to say this, that area behind RJ's place holds a bunch of deer, I can assure you of that.  It seems to me you need to do some negotiating with the wife (his, not yours).   :tup:

Good on you for doing this.  It is hard for a new hunter to teach another new hunter.  Learn together, stay together.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Smoke

• Hunter
  • Groups: Skouckum Archery
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 10:38:32 PM »
welcome and it's great your son want to join in the sport as well....  lot of good advice already given, but would like to add... ya might think Muzzy for your son..  more of a hard push then a kick, and a 50 cal loaded down with 55 grains of FF and patched roundball,  still has plenty of knockdown for deer, without bruising the sons shoulder..  plus even reloading, they are a lot cheeper to shoot then centerfire..

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 10:39:18 PM »
welcome and it's great your son want to join in the sport as well....  lot of good advice already given, but would like to add... ya might think Muzzy for your son..  more of a hard push then a kick, and a 50 cal loaded down with 55 grains of FF and patched roundball,  still has plenty of knockdown for deer, without bruising the sons shoulder..  plus even reloading, they are a lot cheeper to shoot then centerfire..

:yeah:

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 10:44:19 AM »
I HAVE, been thinking of adding a muzzy just to cover all 3 seasons...  so 50 over 54?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »
Harvest -Call me old school, but to me if you cannot at least field dress your harvest you should not be taking game.  It is a matter of respect between hunter and prey.  Hunting is is not about killing, it is taking game to put food on the table respectfully.  Not having that knowledge or knowing if I could do it kept me from attempting to hunt for years until an out of state family member let me be spectator on a hunt and was involved with the field dressing.  That said I have not taken one myself so I have no way to show him first hand the big picture and what is involved once you have your animal down and the real work begins. 
•How do you pros recommend I get things rolling with him in terms learning and understanding what is involved once the animal is down?
•I could show him the many Youtube videos out there on various methods and see how he does?  This is probably my biggest concern because I know that not everyone can handle the site and smell of dressing and processing a down animal to get it out of the field.

Start with farm animals ahead of time. Search for a meat rabbit grower ahead of time and take your son to process some rabbits.  I've had people ask if they could come out to my place on rabbit butchering day and bring kids.  It's a lot less intimidating than looking at a deer laying there in the bush a mile from the truck or more.  A deer isn't so much different than a rabbit, and if your son say's "oh, this is just a great big rabbit! " then the battle is half over there.

A quick craigslist search brings up lot's of ads for meat rabbits, here is one that grabbed my attention
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/grd/5310209895.html
We are a small family farm and we raise New Zealand rabbits for meat, for show and for pets.   That tells me they butcher on the farm and might not be adverse to selling you some meat rabbits and showing you how to process them, or you could take them home and do it there.  If you really wanted some practice on an animal that is almost exactly like a deer find a meat goat farm.  It's better to get your hands bloody under controlled conditions than learn it all when it's raining, cold and miles from a truck.

Really good idea.

If you fish. cleaning fish might be a great starting point. If you don't fish, consider starting. Plenty of practice cleaning "critters" of any kind helps and fish are probably easiest to start with.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2015, 10:56:36 AM »
I HAVE, been thinking of adding a muzzy just to cover all 3 seasons...  so 50 over 54?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Yes, more versatile and lighter to carry around.  Figure out what you  want to shoot out of it and get the appropriate twist rate.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »
I bought a Lyman Deerstalker in 54 for $175 a few months ago.  They are light and handy.  A Thompson White Mountain Carbine is essentially the same thing.  All the older side lock muzzle loaders will be showing up in pawn shops and in Little Nickle especially after hunting season at great prices. 

The carbines like these two are really handy.  50 or 54 are about the same, the 50 is easier to get bullets for. 

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »
Good for you and your son wish you guys both the best  :tup:. I would without question get your son into a hunters education class and TAKE IT WITH HIM!! Gun handling and our hunting regs are things anyone in the woods these days should be well versed in  :twocents:. We met several nice folks in the class when I took my kids some guys were even offering access to new hunters in the class.
   As for permits I put my son in for all deer youth and adult options, moose and big horn for youth. We stay away from the elk as I do not have that much time  :chuckle:, and neither does he with school, sports and scouts. My son is 13 and weighs 105 (he has less then 2% body fat as he like to share (thanks DR  :bash:) but has always been small. He has been shooting his .243 since he was 7 and his big sisters .270 since he was 10. If your boy is confident with the .22 and .223 he will do great with a .308 loaded light.

Get him out there with you and having fun and the success of the hunt may never be measured in notched tags.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 12:29:21 PM »
SO been a while since I posted on this.  Spoke with son again a few times during my late season hunt.  Spoke with mom and now have him and I signed up for Hunters Ed and have questions.  With school load and the way they eat 3 entire weekday evenings in a row I had to schedule his class out in July/Aug.

I have never put in for a draw here before so am unfamiliar with how it works.  Based on what I have seen to put in for a draw you must have a license.  For my son the only way to get a license is AFTER he passes the class.  So the way I read it, that means that for this year I will not be able to put him in for any of the youth tags since the draws must be submitted in April/May.

Do I have that correct?

I am hoping maybe I can get him practicing and strength up to do Archery so less Chaos and pumpkin patch to deal with, but that is a whole other situation...

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 12:36:31 PM »
You're correct. He will need a deer license to apply for deer permits and an elk license to apply for deer permits.

However he could apply for moose, sheep, and mountain goat if he's interested in any of those.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal