collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Adequate for elk? Beginner  (Read 12044 times)

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Adequate for elk? Beginner
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2015, 06:50:35 PM »
I am glad I read this thread, I have been eyeing a 716 for a while...Might just pass on it....

I'll sell you one!
For cheaper than I can get into a 6.5 Grendel?
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2015, 07:35:08 PM »

It's all personal preference on bullet weight. Anything from 150 to 180 will work fine on elk from a 308.

With the 100% copper bullets such as the Barnes, the more velocity the better. It ensures the bullet will expand properly. So with copper bullets I'd definitely go with the 150.

Ditto, with Barnes you need 1500 fps at Impact to open reliably.  In a 308, I would guess 350 yards at least for 168s. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2015, 07:39:23 PM »
A 150gr Accubond will cover everything quite well for what the .308 Win is worth.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2015, 07:50:32 PM »
I shot a deer in the head with a 168 Gr Sierra Match King.....Worked like a champ 100 yards +/- a few
Shane Falco

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2015, 08:10:58 PM »
I shot a deer in the head with a 168 Gr Sierra Match King.....Worked like a champ 100 yards +/- a few

Hahaha! Reminds me of a time I was standing with a friend on a big rock slide in Eastern WA. There was on clump of sage in the middle of the slide near us ( 20 yards ). This small two point Muile stands up out of his bed in the clump. My buddy promptly pops him in the head with his HK91 and a black hills factory 168gr Sierra MK. We looked through the rock for the better part of a hour and couldn't Find the off side antler.

So he made a wood plague , mounted the single two point antler and used it as a hat rack. That was 25 years ago, I still smile ever time I see it.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2015, 08:13:21 PM »
I killed quite a few deer and a couple elk in my younger days with Sierra Pro Hunter bullets before I learned they couldn't.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2015, 08:16:07 PM »

Hahaha! Reminds me of a time I was standing with a friend on a big rock slide in Eastern WA. There was on clump of sage in the middle of the slide near us ( 20 yards ). This small two point Muile stands up out of his bed in the clump. My buddy promptly pops him in the head with his HK91 and a black hills factory 168gr Sierra MK. We looked through the rock for the better part of a hour and couldn't Find the off side antler.

So he made a wood plague , mounted the single two point antler and used it as a hat rack. That was 25 years ago, I still smile ever time I see it.
Those are the best kind of things in life. 25 years later just looking puts the smile right back on your face
Shane Falco

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2015, 08:25:47 PM »

Those are the best kind of things in life. 25 years later just looking puts the smile right back on your face

Haha! That little guy was still stubbling around half asleep when his ticket got punched. :chuckle:

My friend looked at me with a smirk and said "Match Kings can't kill chit". They were talking trash about the MK's back then.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2015, 08:31:21 PM »

Haha! That little guy was still stubbling around half asleep when his ticket got punched. :chuckle:

My friend looked at me with a smirk and said "Match Kings can't kill chit". They were talking trash about the MK's back then.
I shot this doe in her bed, had to roll over once to my left then aim just right of center to ensure the bullet exiting wouldn't smash her hind quarters, you should have heard CoryTDF when I pulled the trigger ! it was an unsightly seen...Quintin Taratino status....
Shane Falco

Offline EmeraldBullet

• Scout
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2015, 12:28:36 AM »
The Hornady Superformance 165's shot the best through mine but open the gas system up because on the standard setting it flat rocked the bolt carrier group and increased recoil was very noticeable. I've shot everything under the sun I could find factory wise through my 716 and mines about a 1 1/2 MOA carbine. Which doesn't impress me much. Haven't taken the time to handload for it due to the fact I'm not big on the .308 and just need it to shoot MOA of idiot if need be with ball ammo.

I have shot 30-40 Rockchucks with it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Have to ask, what didn't you like about the 716? Seems very reliable for me so far and it spits out any .308 or 7.62 ammo which can be nice on the budget.

Offline EmeraldBullet

• Scout
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2015, 10:21:41 PM »
What would happen if I targeted a turkey with this rifle? Would that be fine or just make a mess? Thanks again for the help.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2015, 10:24:44 PM »
What would happen if I targeted a turkey with this rifle? Would that be fine or just make a mess? Thanks again for the help.
makes a big mess if you hit it in the wrong spot, lose a bunch of meat.  Some states it's legal to take turkey with a rifle.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2015, 10:29:43 PM »
Only shotguns are legal for turkey in Washington.

Offline EmeraldBullet

• Scout
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2015, 10:45:18 PM »

Thank you for letting me know this. I have a shotgun from my grandpa his father gave him, only been fired twice. I just have to cross the pass to pick it up. Not a big deal, just glad I didn't try it with my sig, trying to keep things legal.

Offline EmeraldBullet

• Scout
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2015, 01:59:55 PM »

Can you shoot a Turkey on the reservation with a sig?  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand