collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: fish ruin a smoker?  (Read 16705 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
fish ruin a smoker?
« on: December 29, 2015, 06:43:06 PM »
Do you all have dedicated fish smokers?  I can't get the fish smell out of my little smoker and got to thinking about when I upgrade.   

Looking at building a big smoker here soon, wondering if I should build a side by side setup for fish on one side,  everything else on the other!

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: fish ruin a smoker?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 06:47:13 PM »
yep it will take a long time for the smell to come out. I have put smoke to it empty for like 12hrs before to try and get rid of the smell, I don't smoke meat in the same smoker I do fish in

Offline LndShrk

• Cnut the Great
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 06:54:25 PM »
 :dunno: :dunno:

I have done hundreds and hundreds of lbs of fish through my smoker and never had any issue with fish smell. I also run sausage and various meats through mine never had any issue with fish smell on anything.

what kind of fish is leaving stank in the smoke house?
Also how are you curing that fish?
What is the quality to begin with?

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 06:58:50 PM »
Nope!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 07:02:14 PM »
It was just trips out of the lake brined in a salt with soy bath and smoked.

I can smell the fish long after, in fact this was a big chief smoker that's sat up in the garage and hadn't been used for over a year and I still smell the fish.   I scrubbed it out and still smell fish.   Got me to thinking I need a dedicated fish smoker and was contemplating a new smoker build.

I did heat it up and run it before I put meat in it, but I still smell fish.

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »
maybe I'm just picky, I have smoked thousands of pound of salmon, did a big batch after a 3 day trip to Westport, with fresh kings 25 in my smoke house I use a dry brine. mostly do fresh but sometimes will freeze it to get enough for a batch, its always kings

Offline The Weazle

• Weird...
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 08:25:22 PM »
I have noticed in my Bradley that fish will leave a little scent.  I use a dry brine, let the fish dry out before smoking, and don't use any water in the pan, and leave the vent wide open, so it really reduces the moisture, and makes more salmon jerky, or candy, then smoked salmon.  Then when I am done, while everything is still warm, I wipe the smoker out really good with a vinegar soaked rag.  Then I crank up the heat as high as it will go and do one 20 minute smoke once it reaches temperature to re-cure the smoker.  No more problems.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:34:38 PM by The Weazle »
Sexually deprived for your Freedom!
Beer, It's not just for breakfast anymore!

I have a B.S. in B.S.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 08:29:27 PM »
Get some orange citrus based food grade degreaser to clean your metal smokers, that's what I used on my master built  :tup:. But I gifted it to lokidog for a fish smoker, now it's his problem.  :chuckle:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline The Weazle

• Weird...
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 08:35:07 PM »
Get some orange citrus based food grade degreaser to clean your metal smokers, that's what I used on my master built  :tup:. But I gifted it to lokidog for a fish smoker, now it's his problem.  :chuckle:

Nice!

I have a B.S. in B.S.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 07:11:14 AM »
I have two smokers.  I have an old Little Chief that I use for fish and a MasterBuilt (sic?) for everything else.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Commando

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 11:45:28 PM »
Yep! I have had a little chief that I have always done my salmon, nothing else goes in it. Just got a smoker for Christmas that's gonna be for everything else.

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 01:11:33 AM »
I have two smokers.  I have an old Little Chief that I use for fish and a MasterBuilt (sic?) for everything else.
:yeah:  Same for me, all fish get smoked in the little chief, all the rest in the masterbuilt.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 11:06:15 AM »
I use a drip pan in my Bradley, not much fish smell once the drip pan is cleaned
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 11:20:26 AM »
Never been a problem here.  I have smoked probably 500 lbs in mine and there has never been a fish stank.  Just smoked 10 lbs of bacon and 10 lbs of hams and they were awesome. 
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 11:43:02 AM »
I have noticed in my Bradley that fish will leave a little scent.  I use a dry brine, let the fish dry out before smoking, and don't use any water in the pan, and leave the vent wide open, so it really reduces the moisture, and makes more salmon jerky, or candy, then smoked salmon.  Then when I am done, while everything is still warm, I wipe the smoker out really good with a vinegar soaked rag.  Then I crank up the heat as high as it will go and do one 20 minute smoke once it reaches temperature to re-cure the smoker.  No more problems.
Can you PM me and elaborate on how you do this times, temps etc.  I love salmon candy apparently and most of the smoked fish I have had was not smoked that way.  I really don't like paying $17 lb on the occasions they have candy at the fish counter.  I have a little smoker at my disposal so would love to experiment.  Amd if you dont want to share your trade secrets thats also cool  :)

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
Salmon candy is good stuff  :tup:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 07:56:51 PM »

Same for me, but only because the Little Chief stays cooler than my propane one.  I've used the same LC for almost 25 years and don't smell any fishiness in it.   :dunno:

Offline The Weazle

• Weird...
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 08:21:27 PM »

Same for me, but only because the Little Chief stays cooler than my propane one.  I've used the same LC for almost 25 years and don't smell any fishiness in it.   :dunno:

I wonder if that is because the little chief is so "open", it doesn't retain moisture?

I have a B.S. in B.S.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 11:12:07 PM »
Seems to retain plenty of smoke residue. Maybe the OP tried smoking some past prime Chums?   :puke:   :chuckle:

Offline The Weazle

• Weird...
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 11:25:29 PM »
Seems to retain plenty of smoke residue. Maybe the OP tried smoking some past prime Chums?   :puke:   :chuckle:

I've seen people retain chums up river on the Skagit that should have been fertilizer, for smoking... :bdid:

I have a B.S. in B.S.

Offline jeepster

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 11:03:01 AM »
My smoker smells like a smoker.

I have a Bradley and I smoke a few dozen fish a year, and use it for doing meats the rest... The way I had it explained to me, a smoker is like a cast iron pan, the favors just kind of build up in it, they get seasoned. I clean the big chunks out, keep my racks clean, use a drip pan, and what not, but when I'm done smoking, I usually just unplug it and proceed with eating whatever I smoked.

If it smells funny, I'd smoke something else and if it tastes funny, Then you have an issue :twocents:
catch it. kill it. cook it. eat it.
Forget the bear spray, use wasp killer. Concentrated delivery stream, 10X the product, and only $3.00 on sale.

I smoke two fish in the morning, I smoke two fish at night, I smoke two fish in de afternoon makes me feel alright

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »
We do everything in our smokehallow smoker (propane). After doing fish we crank it up to 500ish for an hour or so. No fish smell after that
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »
I wonder if you are not getting a strong pellicle on your meat or are having lots of dripping or something to funk up your smoker.  Maybe your fish drippings are getting in your chips and you are getting that burned fish funk?

I primarily smoke fish but have smoked everything from jerky to cheese to tomatoes to peppers in the same smoker and never had more than a slight fish smell in the smoker, and never on my other products.

I would think that even if the smoker smells like fish it should not impart a fishyness to whatever else you are smoking. Once your pellicle forms the smoke is mostly a surface deposition. As long as you are not using fish chips for your smoke there shouldn't be a fishy flavor/essence in whatever else you are smoking.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2016, 12:16:14 PM »
Can you PM me and elaborate on how you do this times, temps etc.  I love salmon candy apparently and most of the smoked fish I have had was not smoked that way.  I really don't like paying $17 lb on the occasions they have candy at the fish counter.  I have a little smoker at my disposal so would love to experiment.  Amd if you dont want to share your trade secrets thats also cool  :)

Run, when I make sqaw candy, i do not brine just lay out and dry your salmon then cover salmon completely with brown sugar, and place in fridge over night. The sugar will cure the salmon. You can tell by touch. Then place in smoker for a couple of hours.
Smoke time is smoker dependant, but you do not need a lot of heat. The salmon is basically cooked by the brown sugar.
Might take a couple attempts to find the smoke length you like, mine comes out perfect in about two hours in the Bradley.
Good luck
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

Offline The Weazle

• Weird...
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2016, 12:46:09 PM »

Run, when I make sqaw candy, i do not brine just lay out and dry your salmon then cover salmon completely with brown sugar, and place in fridge over night. The sugar will cure the salmon. You can tell by touch. Then place in smoker for a couple of hours.
Smoke time is smoker dependant, but you do not need a lot of heat. The salmon is basically cooked by the brown sugar.
Might take a couple attempts to find the smoke length you like, mine comes out perfect in about two hours in the Bradley.
Good luck

Using sugar to cover your fish overnight is dry brining it.  I use three cups of dark brown sugar to one cup of salt.

I have a B.S. in B.S.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2016, 03:36:27 PM »
Ya that,
I should have said "I don't wet brine" when making squaw candy.

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

Offline jbauch357

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 09:10:42 PM »
I wonder if you are not getting a strong pellicle on your meat or are having lots of dripping or something to funk up your smoker.  Maybe your fish drippings are getting in your chips and you are getting that burned fish funk?

I primarily smoke fish but have smoked everything from jerky to cheese to tomatoes to peppers in the same smoker and never had more than a slight fish smell in the smoker, and never on my other products.

I would think that even if the smoker smells like fish it should not impart a fishyness to whatever else you are smoking. Once your pellicle forms the smoke is mostly a surface deposition. As long as you are not using fish chips for your smoke there shouldn't be a fishy flavor/essence in whatever else you are smoking.

I have to agree with this response specifically.  With a wet brine (I like the consistency and flavor more than dry brine, it is also actually a lot cleaner in the long run) I'll give my fish at least 2hrs on racks in front of a fan in the sun to form a pellicle before I toss them in the smoker.  Keep the heat under 150 degrees and you won't cook out any albumin and won't leave any fish smell in the smoker.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 10:28:34 AM »
 :yeah:

If you are seeing albumin, you are cooking not smoking.
Keep the inside temp below 150.
Some like to do a step up process where they start the first hour at 110, then 2nd hour 120, 3rd hour to 140.
I find 120 is about perfect, then just adjust time on smoke, to taste.

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 10:55:26 AM »
http://honest-food.net/2012/08/12/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/

Follow this guy's instructions and you will never have the albumin cook out.  Developing the pellicle is key.  I use a fan for 2-3 hours prior to smoking.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Thefisherman83

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »
I smoke everything in my smoker, never had any cross contamination.  I do a lot of cheese and it has never come out tasting like fish. 

Pic to make people hungry.
Hunting and Fishing are not matters of life or death... THEY ARE WAY MORE IMPORTANT!!!

"Nothing Makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

Poles are for skiing, Rods are for fishing!
Team Loomis!

Offline TommyH

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2018, 10:38:12 PM »
I smoke everything in my smoker, never had any cross contamination.  I do a lot of cheese and it has never come out tasting like fish. 

Pic to make people hungry.

That looks verrry good! What was your process ? I want to be able to replicate that!!!

My old smoker (dad made in high school-OLD) does have a fish smell from the last batch I did in it...? I’ll clean it an only do fish in it and all other meat on the masterbuild.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal