collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk form size question for you taxidermists.  (Read 3279 times)

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Elk form size question for you taxidermists.
« on: January 14, 2016, 08:43:50 PM »
The measurements on my elk cape are 13 3/4"  and 36"  Ive been looking for a form I like. But haven't found any with the 13 3/4" measurement. I think 12 3/4" is about the longest eye to nose Ive seen. And there are very few I can find that fit the 36" measurement. Wondering if it would be feasible to alter a 34" form. Or the cape to fit a 34" form. And if we do. Would it look right. I will talk to my taxidermist tomorrow. But was hoping for some input so I might be able to have an idea of what forms I like, when I do see him. There looks to be a lot more options when you drop down to a 34" form.
Thanks,
HntnFsh

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
Re: Elk form size question for you taxidermists.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:25:33 PM »
Did your taxidermist advise you of the measurement or were they taken by you? A 36" cape is a great bull! The neck is the biggest measurement that is going to really dictates the rest of the mount. The other measurements, while somewhat important, are not as critical for a shoulder mount as the neck measurement. Also, make sure to look at several different form companies. McKenzie is a big company but the other one to check out with a lot of different form sizes is Research Mannikins.  To answer your question, it very much depends on the form/pose that you are wanting. I just got done doing an elk with a full 90-degree turn with a modified up-turned head on a 34" bull. While fitting that bull on normal, 'semi-sneak' form is no problem, the radical turn-up custom head position really presented serious stretching and work to make it fit properly without having to cut the form down. Every taxidermist will have their own suggestions and ideas, but my personnel opinion is that a rule of thumb is that you never want to 'build down' an animal unless absolutely required. Taking your bull down one size (ie. 36 to 35") is not that big of a problem or noticeable, but working your way down much further will really start to be noticeable. An accomplished taxidermist can also build up a form to accommodate the longer nose to eye/nose to back of head measurements if its a problem or there is too much slack with the cape. Again, its really going to depend on the form you choose. Your taxidermist should be able to give you some good advice as well.
Hope this helps... Joel -BRT
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:26:05 AM by BlackRiverTaxidermy »
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Offline HntnFsh

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 05:46:25 AM »
Thank you Joel. I appreciate the input. I was at the taxidermists the other day and that is the measurement we got. He didn't seem concerned about the 13 3/4"  eye to nose measurement. Its the 36" measurement that presents the issue. Which sounds like it falls in line with what you are saying.

Ive found an offset form on Mckenzie that looks like it will work. Its the EK-442. Research mannequins was pretty limited as was HQ. I think HQ is a part of Mckenzie now though. Havent really found much else yet. Would you happen to know of any other suppliers. Or even any forms that would fit the bill. I like the looks of a left turn, semi sneak, closed mouth. But I'm keeping my mind open do to the lack of forms available. Hope to get by the taxidermist shop today. He may have found some more options. But the more the better!

Thanks again,
HntnFsh

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 07:26:06 AM »
Most of the forms are through either McKenzie or Research Mannikins. There are a few through smaller companies, but you need to be careful because they are self made forms that can SOMETIMES present some additional problems. The artist Mike Frazier makes a tremendous form with great muscle definition. McKenzie, years ago, bought out a ton of the smaller and even bigger companies such as WASCO, Vandykes, etc, so most forms offered by other companies are in the McKenzie Taxidermy site/magazine.

Yes, your Taxidermist is correct, the other measurement is not near as critical as the neck mount. This is only really true for shoulder mounts. Lifesize mounts are totally different story.
Best of luck and post some pics when its done! Sounds like a great bull...congrats!!
Joel- BRT
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Offline Natures Way

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, RMEF, DUCKS UNLIMITED, UTA, ITA, OTA
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 08:07:03 AM »
If you took it to a guy that is actually a taxidermist  and not a guy that hopes he can get the skin to fit a form that they already make! It's not an issue at all!!  You alter the form to fit the skin. It's really just taking it to a guy that knows anatomy, muscle structure and hair patterns.(Taxidermist) You should have confidence in the guy that you are taking it to to not have to ask this kind of question. A taxidermist will make the form to fit the skin. With that being said most of them do not because they actually really don't understand it. good luck!

Offline Natures Way

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, RMEF, DUCKS UNLIMITED, UTA, ITA, OTA
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 08:18:56 AM »
This is a 13 3/4 x 38" neck  at the axis, which is at the smallest point of the neck, this form started out as a 11 3/4 x 32. Take it to the right guy if you haven't and shouldn't be an issue.

Offline HntnFsh

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 09:04:55 AM »
I appreciate your input. I just wanted to have as many options as possible  when I talk to my taxi. 1 of those options  was to modify a smaller form. I have complete confidence that my taxi will do a great job.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]