collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My new Elk rifle!  (Read 25094 times)

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
My new Elk rifle!
« on: January 17, 2016, 01:41:31 PM »
Sorry, couldn't resist! :chuckle:

After a few months of waiting, stalling, ignoring, and just being lazy I finally got my 6.5 BRX project done. For years I stood by my stance that ARs are the most boring gun in the world. Then I became a little more familiar with the Grendel/264 LBC and I began to soften a bit on my stance. Once I got my little CZ 527 in 264 LBC built I realized that for an itty bitty little case, the LBC/Grendel could really perform pretty well. After shooting the 264 out to about 900 yards I felt like I needed a little more.

With a little gentle encouragement from a few guys who are more than happy to help me waste my money, we decided that I needed to build an AR. The obvious choice was the LBC. Since I consider myself an elitist gun hipster who has to have something that's not too "main stream" the LBC in an AR wouldn't work. While trying to come up with wildcat that would function through an AR-15 sized gun I kept coming back to the 6 BR case. It's the perfect length and it's about as fat as a case can be before you have to deal with a rebated rim in the AR platform. I was familiar with the 6 Dasher and 6 BRX from when I used to shoot bench rest so they seemed like the perfect fit. As it turns out I was a few years late to that party and AR-15 Performance beat me to it. I ordered up one of the ARP 6.5 BRX barrels with the matching bolt and barrel extension and was good to go.

After that I picked up a matched billet upper and lower from Grizz Precision and it all sat in my safe for a few months. :chuckle: Some recent events re-ignited the project so we finally got around to slapping it together. I can build a Savage on the tailgate of my truck using parts I find on the floor in my garage (which I've done ;)) but assembling an AR is out of comfort zone so I farmed that work out the a guy who we will refer to as Gunsmith X. This is mostly because he doesn't have time to assemble a bunch of parts for everyone else since he has a bunch of way cooler projects that he really needs to hurry up and finish because I'm tired of waiting and it's taken way to long and now I wish it would just be done so he can move on to the next project because I'm already bored with the next three ideas that he has.  :chuckle: WHOOH! now I have to catch my breath!

So here it is; I don't really know what most of the parts are though. I gave some random guy a bunch of money and told him to build something nice. My only request was that it use an A2 style stock so that it handles better when shot off of a rear rest.

The barrel is a 20" helical fluted Criterion from ARP. The scope on there now is a Sightron SIII 3.5-10. I think it's a pretty good match.

The 6.5 BRX will beat the Grendel by a pretty easy 200 FPS. My formed cases have a 16%+ advantage over my Hornady Grendel  brass and come in 17% behind the my 6.5x47 Lapua brass (formed from Win 22-250 cases). I got some brass formed this morning and I'll try and get some full power loads tested later today. Here's a formed BRX next to a Grendel.

You can see where the old shoulder on the 6 BR case was before fireforming. Forming brass was pretty easy. Just run a Lapua 6 BR case over a 7mm expander and then neck it down with a .286 bushing to create a false shoulder. Then I load them up with 31gr of Varget and a 123 A-max. All 30 shots I fired went into about .5" at 50 yards while getting the scope sighted in and forming brass. Fire forming rounds feed and cycle through the action with no problem. The rifle has an adjustable gas block so I followed Gunsmith X's advice and started with the gas block pretty much closed and then slowly opened it until the bolt would lock back after a shot. Every round after the adjustment cycled and ejected perfectly. I'm using a 10 round 6.8 SPC mag and it will hold 6 rounds comfortably. You can cram a 7th in there but the mag bulges just enough that it drags while trying to insert it.

I'm going to load up and head back out as soon as the brass gets out of the tumbler and I get it all annealed. The next round of testing will be full power loads with a 130 Accubond.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
Re: My new Elk rifle!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 01:45:23 PM »
Way cool!! :tup: Gotta hand it to "Gunsmith X" he knows his way around a AR. 8)

Definitely Elk smoking material.

Googles probably blowing up with 6.5 BRX searches, the arm chair warriors need to get up to speed. To bad their looking at the last barrel, extension,  bolt combo avaiable. :chuckle:

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 01:52:20 PM »
Yep he sure does. But I don't think he likes the Seahawks very much.  :chuckle:

Nice AR.  :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline slm9s

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »
Let me know what velocity you get...

Online mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 02:16:46 PM »
Nice looking gun York! Always love the Ops-4 style side charge upper! Was the preferred upper we used on the Black Mtn builds, both for function and sleek looks.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:40:23 PM by mountainman »
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 02:27:47 PM »
While I have done allot of business with "Gunsmith-X", I have never met Mr. X  in person. Yorke has. :tup:

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 02:28:42 PM »
Nice!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 02:33:24 PM »
Nice looking fun York! Always love the Ops-4 style side charge upper!

I'm familiar with OPFOR, but OPS-4?

Is that some video game thing?

Offline splitshot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 02:54:53 PM »
   what is the weight with scope?    mike w

Online mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 04:01:31 PM »
Nice looking fun York! Always love the Ops-4 style side charge upper!

I'm familiar with OPFOR, but OPS-4?

Is that some video game thing?
you tell me? ☺
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 06:55:29 AM by mountainman »
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 06:05:54 PM »

It's right at 10# with a mag and 5 rounds.

I just got back from testing the 130 accubonds. I only had 15 of them left so I didn't get as much done as I wanted. I started with 31.0gr of IMR 8208 and went as high as 34.0gr. 34gr gave 2640fps and 3 shot groups just a touch under .5" at 100 yards. There's still a lot of room to bump up that powder charge, I just ran out of bullets to test. I started pretty low on the charges just to be on the safe side.

I'm already happy with the results. I run my 19" Grendel at 2430 fps with the 130 accubonds so I've already beat that by a solid 200 fps. Granted 2430 is on the slower side for the 130s in a Grendel, that's just where mine shoots the best. I'll hit an easy 2750 fps in the BRX.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »

It's right at 10# with a mag and 5 rounds.

I just got back from testing the 130 accubonds. I only had 15 of them left so I didn't get as much done as I wanted. I started with 31.0gr of IMR 8208 and went as high as 34.0gr. 34gr gave 2640fps and 3 shot groups just a touch under .5" at 100 yards. There's still a lot of room to bump up that powder charge, I just ran out of bullets to test. I started pretty low on the charges just to be on the safe side.

I'm already happy with the results. I run my 19" Grendel at 2430 fps with the 130 accubonds so I've already beat that by a solid 200 fps. Granted 2430 is on the slower side for the 130s in a Grendel, that's just where mine shoots the best. I'll hit an easy 2750 fps in the BRX.

Just remember to round down all your velocity numbers by 100 FPS.

Sounds like a real dog to me.  :chuckle:

I'd give it away.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »
I'd thump a elk with that any time. 130 grain accubond at 2600fps heck yeah :tup:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 06:48:02 PM »

Just remember to round down all your velocity numbers by 100 FPS.

Sounds like a real dog to me.  :chuckle:

I'd give it away.

I'd offer to sell it to you but I think it's a little out of your league. :  :chuckle:

Nobody would want this thing. Most people I know are too afraid of fire forming to own anything worth while. Don't even mention a caliber with no factory ammo! They're the same types who consider the 338 Edge an impractically large caliber and my bolt action pistols novelties that are worthless past 200 yards!

I'd thump a elk with that any time. 130 grain accubond at 2600fps heck yeah :tup:
I'm actually supposed to go on a cow elk hunt with Bearpaw at the end of the month with my dad and my son (if I can get away from work!) I'm really trying to get this up and running by then! I won't have a chance to get out again until next Sunday though so I'm running out of time.

Offline Buzz2401

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 06:51:57 PM »
Looks pretty sweet.  A little heavy for a hunting rifle I would carry but looks pretty sexy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]