collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Marine 460 Engine Help please!!  (Read 4277 times)

Offline ABMGENERAL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Marine 460 Engine Help please!!
« on: January 26, 2009, 12:25:38 AM »
I know there are some really knowledgeable folks on this forum so i thought i would ask for some help with the Motor in my big alumaweld....

Here is what i have:
   23 Alumaweld with 460Ford- Kodiak holly 4160Carb

I have the standard fuel pump from the engine
I also have an aux electric pump (summit Racing HD type) pushing fuel to the Carb. (don't ask why it came that way)

I have a ton of fuel dumping through primarys straight through the carb with just the key on not even while engine is running and both pumps are pushing, the carb is recently rebuilt by carb Connection Kirkland.

The Elec pump is only supposed to push 6psi Max according to summit http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CRT%2DP4070&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Before i had it rebuilt it didn't dump fuel like this... i feel like i traded one problem for another...

I am inclined to remove the Mechanical pump with a block off plate in favor of the electric pump and ad a FPR.

what are you gearheads thoughts?

i gotta get this baby goin by springer time!

Offline MIKEXRAY

• Sourdough
  • Bowhunter east side. Kayak Fishing cascade lakes.
Re: Marine 460 Engine Help please!!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:23:12 AM »
I don't know about your exact problem but I had a carb rebuilt for my ford truck ten years ago & traded for another problem just like you described. I let them rebuild it again & had a different major problem. Then they rebuilt a different carb to get me off their back & that one sucked to. Broke down after two weeks of bs and bought a new carb, tuned right up. I would never mess with rebuilding a carb ever again. I'm sure someone will get on here today & address your exact problem. Good luck. Mike

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:00:05 AM »
If this was in my old 90 F250 460, I would say your fuel float is toast. Float sinks and opens the flood gates so to speak on your pressured fuel system. Not sure on the marine engine though.... 

I wouldnt try to reinvent the wheel here. Go with the design that worked, just locate the one bug and you will be better off in my opinion.

With recent carb work, I would look there. Maybe the float they placed is faulty, or your bowl needle is misaligned or damaged. .... Just a thought.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

catwithboost

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:35:07 AM »
I agree with Iceman. The float is stuck. Pull the float bowl and it might be gummed up. Holly is a very easy carb to work on. So dig in.

Offline ABMGENERAL

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 08:51:08 AM »
Ya im pretty frusterated with the whole thing, ICarb Conn has a year warranty so im gonna take it back to them once more....

Heindsight i should of just baught a new carb...

Offline FrankDown

• Longhunter
  • Natural Renewable Resources
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 08:54:52 AM »
If it is a brand new or first time used rebuilt carb sometimes the check balls or the float will get stuck.  In some instances gently tapping the carb bopdy cant help.  Ive seen many times on especially new out of the box carbs this happening.  Im not saying it IS your problem but that I have seent his problem solved by tappingf ont eh body witha  rubber mallet or bumping it with your hand in a safe manner as to not break anything off or mar the body of the carb.

That being said, I wouldnt want to take a chance on my boat engine not functioning when I need it to.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]