collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Landrace pigs  (Read 10454 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Landrace pigs
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 09:17:43 AM »
Distillary grain is fed to cattle in feedlots. Ive feed grain used in brewing beer to goats and they loved it. If it is a cheep/free source take it! Imo anytime you can get a low cost feed you can mix into your plan in the growth phase your money ahead. I had a buddy that raised pigs and feed them all manner of discarded food stuffs. He had a specific "finish" he used for the last month.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 09:18:19 AM »
lot of people do, I tried but it was already spoken for.  Not a lot of brewers around here though.

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 10:18:49 AM »
Well we ended up getting Berkshire/Duroc  piglets. Way far from a Landrace but they were just to nice looking of pigs to not get them. Plus the fact piglets aren't just available anytime anywhere close by either. I'm sure they'll finish out fine. We bought six of the burly buggers so we expanded the pen a bit to 96 by 64.

Holy pig feed. 

:tup:
I know  :rolleyes: I drew the line in the sand at 4 pigs this year, but then our butcher spoke up later and said he wanted a half (you can't turn down your butcher buddy) I don't know how the sixth one came in to play. All well, here we go  :EAT:

I've done 12 so far this year... and have another 6 cooking.  And looking for more.  I'm an idiot but life is better with bacon.

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 10:20:06 AM »
Has anyone feed distillery grain to pigs? I'm seeing more and more available around here with the growth of little breweries in the area.

It is good for maintenance and fiber but not much on the nutrition side.  If you are doing market pork I'd still favor a balanced ration.

Online Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 11:29:47 AM »
Has anyone feed distillery grain to pigs? I'm seeing more and more available around here with the growth of little breweries in the area.

It is good for maintenance and fiber but not much on the nutrition side.  If you are doing market pork I'd still favor a balanced ration.

I agree, life IS great with bacon! Yeah, we strictly stick with hog grower, usually 15 percent. Fresh, clean water through water nipples. They'll get grass clippings, fruit and or vegetables occasionally and nothing else. The meat turns out real clean tasting and not overly fatty. I've had pork that was raised with not only grain but with "scraps", dirty water and belly deep in mud in a tiny pen  :puke: the meat tastes just like what they lived in and the questionable "scraps" make the meat gamey in my opinion.
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Online Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 12:45:49 PM »
Has anyone raised Berkshires before? I was told the meat is a little darker.
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal