collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Special Permits - How do you use yours? Strategy / Seasons / Etc  (Read 8083 times)

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Special Permits - How do you use yours? Strategy / Seasons / Etc
« on: February 25, 2016, 11:51:40 AM »
I've only been hunting deer for three years.  Had my first success this past season.

I've been building up some points for special permits for a few years, always taking the points option because I didn't want to get drawn until I felt confident I knew what I was doing.

I'm working my way through all the information for the deer special permits now, and I'm curious how people use them.

Second Deer  - allows you to harvest a second deer within the set season, using the same weapon your first tag is already purchased for.  I assume most guys just use a second deer permit to take a doe and put a little more meat in the freezer?

Antlerless Deer - you still only get one deer per year, but this gives you the option to harvest a doe in the event you don't find a legal buck.

Buck Deer - this one makes no sense to me... Can somebody explain why you'd purchase this permit?

Quality Deer - hunt units in different seasons so you have opportunity with fewer hunters around and/or when the bigger bucks are on the move during the rut.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Special Permits - How do you use yours? Strategy / Seasons / Etc
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 12:14:36 PM »
Second deer permits are always antlerless; they allow harvest of a second deer and are usually in areas with little or no public access.

A "Buck deer" permit allows you to hunt for and harvest a buck deer in areas or at times where general season hunters cannot.

"Quality deer" is essentially the same as "buck deer", but in general reflects a higher quality permit that is more difficult to draw, and thus more valuable.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »
As Bob said, the "Buck deer" has alot of good whitetail rut hunts where the general public just cant go hunt it. Have to have the permit.

Offline cboom

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Permanently Banned!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 05:11:41 PM »
I would put in for the quality permit every year instead of buying preference points unless I knew for some reason I couldn't under any circumstance make the hunt if drawn. Those permits are kind of like the lottery where it is mostly luck. Sure you have a better chance with more points just like you do if you buy 5 lotto tickets instead of one, but very bad odds either way. I wouldn't waste years buying points and losing out on a chance to draw for a year.

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 05:17:58 PM »
I would put in for the quality permit every year instead of buying preference points unless I knew for some reason I couldn't under any circumstance make the hunt if drawn. Those permits are kind of like the lottery where it is mostly luck. Sure you have a better chance with more points just like you do if you buy 5 lotto tickets instead of one, but very bad odds either way. I wouldn't waste years buying points and losing out on a chance to draw for a year.

Yeah I understand that but for the first three years I didn't know what the hell I was doing.  I have no friends that hunt, no family etc.

It took me three years to bag my first buck hunting in one unit - I don't have the bandwidth yet to try to scout and hunt multiple units because of special permits.

Offline Killmore

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 06:39:47 PM »
Remember that there is only so many ruts in your life time. So apply every year because if you draw you will find time to scout. It can take years to draw so why waste time with points. I think I have 17 points trying to draw a quality tag.

Offline lonedave

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 08:00:59 PM »
I'd say if it only took you 3 years to get your first buck solo you did great and probably have more of a knack than you give yourself credit for.  Remember, you can also do a lot of pre-scouting on-line before you ever hit the permit area and there are a lot of good people on here that are very helpful.

Offline Igottanewknee

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 08:29:55 PM »
All this stuff is top secret... If you don't already know, you're s.o.l.... Well, maybe.. Not sure.. I never get drawn for that stuff anyway... :chuckle:  :chuckle:

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 08:33:11 PM »
So second deer permits are for units that are mostly private land?

I'm trying to figure out if I should continue to buy applications for that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 09:10:43 PM »
I thought the second deer permits were offered for units that were considered overpopulated or at least above the recommended holding capacity for the area. 

Many of the islands on the west side have second deer permits which presumably attempt to lower the doe populations and ultimately, slow the growth of the population on the island.  There are no second deer permits (that I know of) in my area - which is why I don't put in for one.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 09:47:02 PM »
So second deer permits are for units that are mostly private land?

I'm trying to figure out if I should continue to buy applications for that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, which is why they tend to have overpopulated herds. If you don't know a landowner in the units, they're of limited value.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 03:57:26 PM »
I put in for the permits that will extend my season in my usual areas. Thankfully, those permits are not as popular as others and I get drawn every few years.
Personally, I have no interest applying for permits that I have almost zero chance of drawing, and in areas I'm not familiar with.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 04:05:40 PM »
I put in for the permits that will extend my season in my usual areas. Thankfully, those permits are not as popular as others and I get drawn every few years.
Personally, I have no interest applying for permits that I have almost zero chance of drawing, and in areas I'm not familiar with.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Exactly the sort of info I'm looking for.

Thanks

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 08:22:31 PM »
"Back To The Future":  - Pulled from the Archives: Great Discussion Thread and Strategy Insight ... still useful even 2+ years later! Little Late... But Thanks for the Help on my Special Hunt Applications down to the wire last day submit for 2018!
"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 09:42:13 PM »
Spent my money in Montana this year and went points on a  :chuckle:lot of the Quality permits.. Your welcome guys.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal