collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Special Permits - How do you use yours? Strategy / Seasons / Etc  (Read 8061 times)

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Special Permits - How do you use yours? Strategy / Seasons / Etc
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 05:14:51 AM »
Thanks Steve I really appreciate it!!!
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 05:40:38 AM »
Spent my money in Montana this year and went points on a  :chuckle:lot of the Quality permits.. Your welcome guys.

Always knew you were a humanitarian of sorts Steve
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 10:48:51 AM »
So I am still a little confused about this. It sounds like only the Quality Hunt tag gets you additional access anywhere, but things like the second deer tag requires having access to private land somehow.

Aside from the quality hunt, are any of the special units useful to any of us "regular folk" that don't have private land hunting access?

Offline Roperfive88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 11:05:14 AM »
So I am still a little confused about this. It sounds like only the Quality Hunt tag gets you additional access anywhere, but things like the second deer tag requires having access to private land somehow.

Aside from the quality hunt, are any of the special units useful to any of us "regular folk" that don't have private land hunting access?

Quality tags do not gain you access other than something like the watershed where you can only go in with a special permit. They are tags that give a quality hunting experience. Fewer People or better dates or more time etc in a specific unit or units.

Second deer lets you hunt for another antlerless. The previous posts are just stating that a lot of the second tag hunts are in a GMU that has limited public access.

All tags require access some have more public access than others.

Offline ljsommer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 11:11:07 AM »

Quality tags do not gain you access other than something like the watershed where you can only go in with a special permit. They are tags that give a quality hunting experience. Fewer People or better dates or more time etc in a specific unit or units.

Second deer lets you hunt for another antlerless. The previous posts are just stating that a lot of the second tag hunts are in a GMU that has limited public access.

So there are no "special" tags that are "special" because they grant access to a GMU (on public land) that you wouldn't otherwise have? It's more about dates of access?

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 11:19:39 AM »

So there are no "special" tags that are "special" because they grant access to a GMU (on public land) that you wouldn't otherwise have? It's more about dates of access?
There are some that do, actually. But they are not the standard "unit" permits. A handful come with access: Buckrun, Sillver Dollar come to mind, and a few others. They are private land-owner tags that come with access, but also with additional strings attached. It's in the regs...but I know it's a detail that is hard to decipher.

**Edit- I was thinking private land tags. There are a few that give access for free (as above) if you're drawn that might normally charge an access fee.

If you are talking about a whole GMU tag (or public land in the given GMU), 7MM answered below very thoroughly.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:33:16 PM by Bullkllr »
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 11:28:01 AM »
There are a couple of GMU's in the state that are permit only, that have no general season. The Desert unit 290 and Alkali 371 are examples of this.

In general though, the "Quality" deer permits, and many of the "Buck" deer permits, offer you the chance to hunt at a time outside the general season. Lets use the Methow Valley units for example. GMU 218 Chewuch, 224 Pearrygin, 231 Gardner, and 242 Alta all have a general deer season this year that will run from October 13-23. It is open for 3 pt or better Mule Deer, and any Whitetail buck.

However, all these units also have a Quality permit that would allow you to hunt any Mule Deer buck from November 1 - November 20. This is the height of the rut, and also the migration in most years, so your opportunity to kill an above average deer is very good. There are also only a handful of permit holders in each unit, so competition is nil, hence the "Quality" rating.

Also, each of these units offers a "Buck" deer tag for any whitetail buck during the same timeframe. This is not considered a "Quality" tag because you can hunt whitetail during the rut in many places in the state, and the chances of success are quite a bit lower.

You can also apply for an antlerless tag in all these units. You seem to understand the roll of that tag. It's a general season tag, just gives you the opportunity to kill a doe, or a legal buck.

To further confuse you, you can apply for a 2nd deer tag in most of these units as well. The tag is specific to antlerless whitetail only. Whitetail by nature live close to the river bottoms, which are generally private property. So it's not so much that they give 2nd tags away in an area that is mostly private, because its private, but because that happens to be where most of the targeted species are. There are usually parcels of state land that you can hunt in these areas as well, they are just limited.

I don't know if that's helpful or not.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 05:42:05 PM »
There are a couple of GMU's in the state that are permit only, that have no general season. The Desert unit 290 and Alkali 371 are examples of this.

In general though, the "Quality" deer permits, and many of the "Buck" deer permits, offer you the chance to hunt at a time outside the general season. Lets use the Methow Valley units for example. GMU 218 Chewuch, 224 Pearrygin, 231 Gardner, and 242 Alta all have a general deer season this year that will run from October 13-23. It is open for 3 pt or better Mule Deer, and any Whitetail buck.

However, all these units also have a Quality permit that would allow you to hunt any Mule Deer buck from November 1 - November 20. This is the height of the rut, and also the migration in most years, so your opportunity to kill an above average deer is very good. There are also only a handful of permit holders in each unit, so competition is nil, hence the "Quality" rating.

Also, each of these units offers a "Buck" deer tag for any whitetail buck during the same timeframe. This is not considered a "Quality" tag because you can hunt whitetail during the rut in many places in the state, and the chances of success are quite a bit lower.

You can also apply for an antlerless tag in all these units. You seem to understand the roll of that tag. It's a general season tag, just gives you the opportunity to kill a doe, or a legal buck.

To further confuse you, you can apply for a 2nd deer tag in most of these units as well. The tag is specific to antlerless whitetail only. Whitetail by nature live close to the river bottoms, which are generally private property. So it's not so much that they give 2nd tags away in an area that is mostly private, because its private, but because that happens to be where most of the targeted species are. There are usually parcels of state land that you can hunt in these areas as well, they are just limited.

I don't know if that's helpful or not.

Very helpful, thank you!

Sometimes I feel like it's BS that these regs are so complex that the average joe can't figure them out.  Then I realize that all the people here being helpful are average joes that have been grinding it out for years, have paid their dues and are simply paying it forward helping out us newbies.

So thanks to all that have weighed in here to help out!  I'm a first generation hunter that grew up in the suburbs with no hunting influences and has since begun hunting self-taught, and converted my two best friends along the way.  All three of us has now killed a buck on public land (in three years of trying).  This is a hard game to learn on one's own but helpful folks on this site have made all the difference.  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]