collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pattern help(pic heavy)  (Read 4117 times)

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
Pattern help(pic heavy)
« on: March 28, 2016, 06:29:11 PM »
Hey all.  I had my daughter out patterning her 20 guage shotgun, getting ready for youth turkey.  Can yall tell me which one looks better to you.  The first 4 pictures are all at 40 yards.  The last two pictures where what I thought had the best pattern, so we did 40 yards(left) and 30 yards (right).  Let me know what ya think.

Don't know why all my photos go sideways when I put them on here.

40 yards left, 30 yards right

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 06:36:20 PM by asmith »
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Pattern help(pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 06:33:01 PM »
Are you sure that is not 30 yards right and 40 yards left?
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 06:35:55 PM »
Are you sure that is not 30 yards right and 40 yards left?

Yes, sorry.  I had it right in the top paragraph, lol.  It's fixed

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 07:28:06 PM »
I would shoot the triple beards (solid density) and put bead 2"' right or on the beak if the head is turned that way, at 30 . cover the head with bead at 40 that way you add a little elevation.  Either way you guys should not have a problem dumping a bird

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 07:35:40 PM »
Either will get the job done!!  Can't wait till see pics of a big Tom in her hands.   :tup:

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 07:53:24 PM »
Either round will work, Looks like she might have flinched a bit on the 2nd round. If you have her aim where the pretty part ends and the ugly part starts if she flinches she will still be Mony!!

Offline 270Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 07:54:07 PM »
The hevi shot triple beard would be my choice. It will retain energy better and hit harder. Also patterns well for a 20 at 40 yards. I would not recommend shooting past 40 yards though.

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 08:52:56 PM »
Isn't it pretty obvious?
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
Thank yall for the input.  I have to agree the hevi shot looks better at 40 yards, but at 30 yards I think the cheap remington nitro is a bit better.  32 pellets in the circle versus 30.  But that all could also be shot placement.  Either way, those two look good.  Shell get some more practice in on Thursday, then again at bearpaw on friday.

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 09:30:40 PM »
Good luck! Keep us posted on the hunt!

Offline sneakyjake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 09:36:59 PM »
No offense, but aim for the base of the neck.   Pattern this way and practice this way or miss birds.  You will pull the shot a little when the time come otherwise.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 10:22:24 PM »
No offense, but aim for the base of the neck.   Pattern this way and practice this way or miss birds.  You will pull the shot a little when the time come otherwise.

I agree! 

Also, it doesn't look like you have a real turkey choke on that gun.  Is that right?  If so that might explain the heavy shot grouping better as the factory full is a steel full not a lead full.

What gun is she shooting?  I have a 20ga Jellyhead choke that fits Benelli/Beretta/Franchi that I could have to you next day if you wanted to borrow it.  I think Bearpaw has one at the house that will fit Remington 870/20ga.

Offline tonymiller7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 11:47:10 AM »
I would say the top picture had a better pattern, she just needs to hold a littler higher at 40 and she would have a bunch of pellets in the head/neck area.

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »

I agree! 

Also, it doesn't look like you have a real turkey choke on that gun.  Is that right?  If so that might explain the heavy shot grouping better as the factory full is a steel full not a lead full.

What gun is she shooting?  I have a 20ga Jellyhead choke that fits Benelli/Beretta/Franchi that I could have to you next day if you wanted to borrow it.  I think Bearpaw has one at the house that will fit Remington 870/20ga.

Yes, her gun had a turkey choke.  It's a jelly head maximum!

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 05:52:14 PM »
Hmm, OK.  Just seemed a little loose at 30 compared to my 20.  Wanted to have all the details. 

If going over for the youth hunt with Bearpaw I'd say I would be surprised if she will need to take more than a 30 yards shot.  Dale is pretty good at getting those early hunters real close to some very nice birds.  I pass up a lot of shots at 8 and 10 yards over there every year waiting for the birds to get into my wheelhouse.  With the bow I prefer them 17-20 yards out and facing directly away.  Seems every time I decide to shoot them at 8 yards I have to put a second arrow in them as they are running away.  I practice at 8 yards, but bow sighting changes so rapidly with every yard that close.  For a youth with a shotgun those 8-10 yard shots can be tough too.  Pattern is pretty darn tight at that distance.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 07:56:22 PM »
Hmm, OK.  Just seemed a little loose at 30 compared to my 20.  Wanted to have all the details. 

If going over for the youth hunt with Bearpaw I'd say I would be surprised if she will need to take more than a 30 yards shot.  Dale is pretty good at getting those early hunters real close to some very nice birds.  I pass up a lot of shots at 8 and 10 yards over there every year waiting for the birds to get into my wheelhouse.  With the bow I prefer them 17-20 yards out and facing directly away.  Seems every time I decide to shoot them at 8 yards I have to put a second arrow in them as they are running away.  I practice at 8 yards, but bow sighting changes so rapidly with every yard that close.  For a youth with a shotgun those 8-10 yard shots can be tough too.  Pattern is pretty darn tight at that distance.

I would guess the pattern is about the size of your fist. that's why a lot of turkeys are missed at the distance. Shoot a pattern and see just how big it isn't

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal