collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 230" Wyoming Mule Deer Poached  (Read 15720 times)

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
Re: 230" Wyoming Mule Deer Poached
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 06:34:32 PM »
Sadly, it's not shocking to me that people will cheat to kill a big animal anymore.
What's worse, is I tend to look at my hunting bretheran with more suspicion now when a monster is killed because of it.

Out of season, closed units, game farm animals, etc. 

I'm not convinced social media has advanced our species.  It shows just how low that limbo bar can go.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 07:40:10 PM »
Sad, but this is the direction we're going as a society. We are all about cult of personality worship. killing a huge deer is a way to achieve that 15 minutes of fame narcissism.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 07:58:07 PM »
Beautiful deer it is .......but he's a D- bag and an A hole

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 08:06:23 PM »
Guy posts pictures of his buck in September then kills a bigger buck in November and gets it mounted and is showing it off at the sportsmans expo and it still takes a tip from a concerned citizen for him to get caught. Seems they should've caught onto this one earlier. Glad he was caught though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 08:12:55 PM »
The headless body was located by locals.  DNA a single hair and the guy is toast. 

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 09:12:50 PM »
Worst thing is, it only takes one cull like this to give us all a black eye.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 09:14:36 PM »
Selfish puke.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 09:25:20 PM »
The headless body was located by locals.  DNA a single hair and the guy is toast.

There's no need to DNA a hair.  He admitted to shooting it in November and putting his 2nd whitetail buck tag on it.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline westside Elkhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 06:48:34 AM »
Hopefully the idiot gets serious fines and loses his hunting rights

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 07:40:04 AM »
I don't believe the Lacey Act applies because he didn't sell the buck or its parts. As far as him being a D-Bag is concerned, I agree. All poachers are D-Bags. Should he get massive fines and loss of license? No more than other poachers and what the law allows. I'm not sure if they have a "trophy-class" law in WY, but I disagree with those. All poached animals should be the same level of punishment. IMHO, I think it's a disservice to wildlife to make the poaching of one animal worse than another of the same species because of the headgear. He was an idiot and he got caught. Good!  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 07:57:53 AM »
Wow, hope they throw the book at him.  What a tool.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 08:06:29 AM »
A friend from Montana emailed me and says the guy works at a high school as sports director.  I don't see how the District keeps him in that position if that is the case. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 08:10:28 AM »
A friend from Montana emailed me and says the guy works at a high school as sports director.  I don't see how the District keeps him in that position if that is the case.

I'm sure they have rules on breaking the law and to which extent it's an issue of employment. Some schools also have ethics laws.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 08:27:05 AM »
Makes me  :bash:

Totally robbed the folks who watched him, knew of him and kept folks awake at night wondering where to find him during hunting season.  That buck in all of his glory will now only be a waste or a reminder of it's life being stolen from the folks that enjoyed him.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 08:31:30 AM »

I'm sure they have rules on breaking the law and to which extent it's an issue of employment. Some schools also have ethics laws.

From the comments in this article:

"Are you freaking nuts Nate Strong poached that deer with the wrong tag and out of season. He should be hung. And fired from his Sublette county district #9 freaking job. I hope they nail him for a Lacey Act Violation."
http://sweetwaternow.com/105688-2/

Looks like the "natives are restless" - first they are calling to have him hung, and then after he is hung - fire him from his School District job.  So where is that going to leave the property owner who is threatening a civil law suit on top of all of everything else he is facing. 

Did you tell G&F that you found the body and where? I can only presume Hoback Ranches since that’s where he’s been living. I saw him on November 4th and 6th in there. Please private message us. We would like to proceed with a civil suit if we can prove he took it on private lands.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:47:38 AM by JDHasty »

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 08:44:54 AM »
I posted the gohunt article on a Facebook forum where both the poacher and I are members.  Guys like this make it hard to enjoy the social media camaraderie of sportsmen. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 08:51:47 AM »
I think that the weight by fellow sportsman being labeled a "poacher" needs to be as heavy as possible.  Make people really think of the consequences.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 09:14:31 AM »
Sadly, it's not shocking to me that people will cheat to kill a big animal anymore.
What's worse, is I tend to look at my hunting bretheran with more suspicion now when a monster is killed because of it.

I'm not convinced social media has advanced our species.  It shows just how low that limbo bar can go.

Anymore?  This isn't anything new. 

Offline Alaskan

• Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
  • Big hikes equal big horns!

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
Re: Another world class Deer POACHED!
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 12:01:50 PM »
http://www.gohunt.com/read/news/breaking-story-230-inch-mule-deer-buck-poached-in-wyoming

From the comments:

Ken Z. - posted 1 hour ago on 03-31-2016 10:10:15 am
St. Charles, IL
goHUNT INSIDER
No surprise at all coming from Utah Expo, the capital of commercialized hunting. Why should citizens obey the rules and laws when their own wildlife board does not?! (See RFP) What do Utah & Wyoming expect when they are the #1 & #2 states in stealing public opportunity and putting those tags on the auction block??? They are reaping what they are sowing. Sorry, definitely not defending this citizen, just pointing out a fact. Another cancerous residual effect of SFW's model for wildlife conservation.

http://www.gohunt.com/read/news/breaking-story-230-inch-mule-deer-buck-poached-in-wyoming

From the comments:

Lyle P. - posted 51 minutes ago on 03-31-2016 11:02:58 am
Scottsdale, AZ, and Vancouver, WA
goHUNT INSIDER
I grandfather said you know if you have ethics by how you act when no one is looking. If the facts of this case are as seem to be then this is a common thief that deserves to spend time in jail. I think of the instances where someone gets a ticket for a game violation and is ignorance on the part of the violator rather than an attempt to gain an unfair advantage. Perhaps is using camo orange vest when statutes say has to be solid orange. I call those ticky-tacky. Still a violation but was not stealing from you or me. Then you have a case like what this appears to be where someone intentionally breaks the law to steal a mule deer from everyone else. That should merit jail time. To involve a trophy-class mule deer intentionally shot out of season without possessing a valid tag for that deer is blatant theft that deserves significant jail time, loss of hunting and fishing rights for life and shunning by those of us that try our best to not violate any statutes and to hunt ethically.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »

Anymore?  This isn't anything new.

:yeah: It's like saying "kids nowadays!" There have always been poachers and as long as there's game left, there always will. As we march into the future, hopefully we'll get better at catching them. And maybe even prosecuting them here in WA.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 01:08:58 PM »
Ok, a better way of phrasing it would have been - "I used to be surprised to hear about this type of behavior, but it comes up so frequently I'm not anymore - and that is sad."
Better?
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 01:17:45 PM »
I just don't think it's any worse than it used to be. Maybe even better. When hunting licenses were 1st required a large percentage of people poached because they thought it was their right and that buying a license to hunt was BS. I do think it's decreased over time.

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 05:08:38 PM »
I don't believe the Lacey Act applies because he didn't sell the buck or its parts.

It doesn't have to be sold to constitute a Lacy Act violation, it only has to be transported across a state line.

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 05:10:44 PM »

"Are you freaking nuts Nate Strong poached that deer with the wrong tag and out of season. He should be hung. And fired from his Sublette county district #9 freaking job. I hope they nail him for a Lacey Act Violation."

Looks like the "natives are restless" - first they are calling to have him hung, and then after he is hung - fire him from his School District job.  So where is that going to leave the property owner who is threatening a civil law suit on top of all of everything else he is facing. 

Did you tell G&F that you found the body and where? I can only presume Hoback Ranches since that’s where he’s been living. I saw him on November 4th and 6th in there. Please private message us. We would like to proceed with a civil suit if we can prove he took it on private lands.

It's going to be pretty hard for them to sue him civilly for taking an animal that belonged to the state of Wyoming.  Unless their laws are markedly different, a private landowner can't seek civil restitution for the loss of an animal that belonged to the people of the state.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 05:22:29 PM »
Loss of vehicle, gun or bow, lifetime ban of hunting Wyoming and 6 months should get this blatant poacher something to think about. Too bad he wont get it. I hate poachers.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 05:53:10 PM »

It's going to be pretty hard for them to sue him civilly for taking an animal that belonged to the state of Wyoming.  Unless their laws are markedly different, a private landowner can't seek civil restitution for the loss of an animal that belonged to the people of the state.

Trespass in which an animal was taken and the loss of that animal affects their ability to attract paying customers may well be. 

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »

Trespass in which an animal was taken and the loss of that animal affects their ability to attract paying customers may well be.

They can have him cited for trespass certainly.  However, the animal does not belong specifically to them.  If I shot their prize Angus bull then they could sue me civilly.  They don't own the deer.  In order to show a monetary loss they would have to show that this impacted them financially.  It's not a game farm.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 07:58:09 PM »

They can have him cited for trespass certainly.  However, the animal does not belong specifically to them.  If I shot their prize Angus bull then they could sue me civilly.  They don't own the deer.  In order to show a monetary loss they would have to show that this impacted them financially.  It's not a game farm.

I agree w/you.  What I posted was a quote and I posted the link so the property owner may believe they have a civil case. 

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 07:30:05 AM »

While the poached animal does not belong to the land owner, the opportunity to legally harvest that animal is/was.  And as we all know, people will pay an incredible amount of money to walk out in a field and shot a record book animal. 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 08:09:38 AM »

While the poached animal does not belong to the land owner, the opportunity to legally harvest that animal is/was.  And as we all know, people will pay an incredible amount of money to walk out in a field and shot a record book animal.

That is where I thought tHat a civil case would come in.  What I have been told by Montana based relatives who run some cattle on Wyo range is that this ranch had a poaching incident a few years back that involved a well known outfitter and he thinks this is the angle they pursued. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:31:06 AM by JDHasty »

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 08:12:17 AM »
Nate Strong Poacher

This Sublette county school district PE teacher and coach in Big Piney Busted for Poaching 230" mule deer. He thought it was a Whitetail Hybrid. That's why he had it at the sports expo with his name on it labeled as a mule deer. If he is a member of this website he should be banned.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID6/26187.html
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:23:49 AM by JDHasty »

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 06:34:26 AM »
why ban him ? bash the puke.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2016, 12:46:34 PM »
http://www.pinedaleroundup.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&page=76&story_id=4547

Here is an excerpt:

This despicable act is a major injustice to the people of Wyoming. Possible gain of the mount if this individual could have gotten away with it? Maybe $30,000 to $40,000. Loss of “Big Boy” to us? Priceless! I would hope that justice is served and if convicted, he be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law – including possible prison time, loss of Wyoming hunting and fishing privileges for the rest of his life, and a major fine.

If convicted, I would also hope that the Big Piney School District would feel that it does not need this type of individual in their school district. Student look up to teachers and coaches and therefore should be taught good values and ethics. Is this the type of teacher we want educating our children?

http://www.subletteexaminer.com/v2_news_articles.php?page=72&story_id=4074

SUBLETTE COUNTY – Local hunters and residents are expressing anger, regret and dismay upon hearing a Big Piney man is charged with allegedly killing a handsome mule buck deer with unusual antlers.

Nathan Strong, of Big Piney, was charged last Tuesday with one criminal count of shooting an antlered deer without a license or during a closed season – in this case the very recognizable nontypical trophy mule deer buck nicknamed “Big Boy” who spent several summers

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:53:02 PM by JDHasty »

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2016, 09:41:21 AM »

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2016, 10:52:09 AM »
He knew what he had done was illegal and still wanted to enter this buck in a sportsman's show?@! What a moron! 

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2016, 03:18:37 PM »
I would hope that justice is served and if convicted, he be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law – including possible prison time, loss of Wyoming hunting and fishing privileges for the rest of his life, and a major fine.

For single animals on a first time offense, I don't support prison sentences. Prison needs to be reserved for the most heinous people: child molesters.. murderers... liberals

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]