collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear Spray or Handgun  (Read 33171 times)

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
Re: Bear Spray or Handgun
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2016, 04:26:29 PM »
Keep in mind good bear spray is like 100xs stronger than people pepper spray.  It is downright dangerous stuff.  Plus its hard to miss just remember to spray at ground in front of animal charge.

Wrong! Bear spray is about 1 to 2 percent capsicum. Human spray is 10% plus capsicum.
 Nice try..
Sorry Bud but you aren't educated enough to "inform me". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_spray  Its also illegal to use on Humans as its so potent and can damage eyes easily.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2016, 04:26:41 PM »
I often carry a pistol (self protection caliber) in WA in black bear country but it's not for bear protection, it's for the goofballs we have running around in this state.  In N ID or NW MT, I'll normally carry a Taurus 444 Ultralite .44 MAG with 305 GR HSM bear loads.  I opt for a big "bang" vs a psssst from a can of compressed pepper spray... just my personal choice.  I always like to share this VID when these threads pop up. Do you think the pssst from an aerosol can would have turned this momma bear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuYs8Dnef3s

Yes. I believe the odds are far better than the "pop" from a handgun attempting to hit a mad mamma charging at 30 mph.
Just so you know, in the 1/2 a second it takes a bear to cover 20 yards (effective range of spray) a bear won't feel much effect from the spray. By the time it starts the "burn" (if it is an actual attack) it's to late.
The startle effect is all spray has to offer in reality. A firearm blast or horn blast is just as effective.

Go for a long solo hike along a Alaskan stream choked full of salmon sometime. I don't "believe" I want a firearm. I "know" I want one with me in bear country.

I have a friend who has lived at a remote Alaskan homestead for over 20 years. He has never owned bear spray and somehow managed to survive with just firearms. Mention bear spray and he'll reply, "City folks".

The "startle effect is all the spray has to offer"?  Obviously, you have no first hand experience with pepper spray.  How about you let someone video you being sprayed in the face with pepper spray and we'll post it on Hunting Washington so we can all witness you being "startled"?  :chuckle:

Every time this issue comes up, the macho mentality always comes from people who are going to gun down a charging grizzly with their handgun.  Forget the studies that show pepper spray is more effective; people instead go with the opinion of some friend who has SOMEHOW managed to survive in Alaska with just a firearm, as if it's a daily struggle for life between man and bear.  There are plenty of people who survive in Alaska and other bear country without a firearm, or bear spray for that matter.

I had a can of 10% capsicum burst on me that was sitting on the dash of my truck. I was able to drive back home and wash my eyes out. Skunk spray in the eyes was far worse.

I think I'd be ok with 1% or 2%. The fact that I wouldn't trust my life to spray isn't a "macho mentality" except maybe to "soft" males.

By the way I've sprayed plenty of dogs with 10%. Had a pair of Dobermans that weren't  impressed at all by spray. A bicycle pump over the head impressed them..
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2016, 04:28:54 PM »
Are there lots of stories of guys being mauled to death with guns in their hands vs pepper spray? I don't think there are. Both are effective but since I'm most worried about an encounter at night while I'm in the tent I'm going to bring the gun. Shoot pepper spray in a tent and let me know what it's like. I've shot pepper spray into the wind and had it come directly back in my face. I'm not willing to take that risk with a bear coming towards me.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2016, 04:31:27 PM »
Cougar I think you cant see the decimal in front of your quoted 10%.  Its .1%  My point is spray is great!  AND a gun is real good.  Kinda like an airbag and a seatbelt..
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2016, 04:45:07 PM »
Keep in mind good bear spray is like 100xs stronger than people pepper spray.  It is downright dangerous stuff.  Plus its hard to miss just remember to spray at ground in front of animal charge.

Wrong! Bear spray is about 1 to 2 percent capsicum. Human spray is 10% plus capsicum.
 Nice try..
Sorry Bud but you aren't educated enough to "inform me". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_spray  Its also illegal to use on Humans as its so potent and can damage eyes easily.

Gee. My canister of defensive spray says 10%. I must be the only guy on the planet who owns the spray with 10% capsicum. lol
Here's a tip for you internet jockeys. Don't trust Wikipedia. It is written often times by other uniformed internet jockeys..

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2016, 04:52:19 PM »
Cougar I think you cant see the decimal in front of your quoted 10%.  Its .1%  My point is spray is great!  AND a gun is real good.  Kinda like an airbag and a seatbelt..

Go to the Counter Assault website.. and get back to me. lol

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2016, 04:57:47 PM »
Bear spray is 1% to 2% OC concentration. Human spray is typically 10% OC.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2016, 05:02:08 PM »
Years ago, when I first got bear spray I thought it was the reverse.  Thinking if it is more concentrated than that human stuff then it might be decent stuff.  Then I learned I had the numbers reversed and just ditched the spray and went to the pistol.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2016, 05:14:53 PM »
Years ago, when I first got bear spray I thought it was the reverse.  Thinking if it is more concentrated than that human stuff then it might be decent stuff.  Then I learned I had the numbers reversed and just ditched the spray and went to the pistol.
There is a much high volume per spray with bear vs human spray, but a lower concentration.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2016, 05:29:46 PM »

Go to the Counter Assault website.. and get back to me. lol
I think you are the only one with 10%.  Counterassault is a BEAR SPRAY!  You sure it doesn't say 10oz.???
MAGA!  Again..

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2016, 05:35:05 PM »
my bear spray is 1.1%

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2016, 05:37:08 PM »
You'all a victim of advertisement gimmicks.  Counterassault 10% is a play on words. Actually just over 1% capsaicum. http://www.amazon.com/Counter-Assault-Pepper-Spray/dp/B005JPTA48   If you doubt bear spray go spray yourself!  Promise its BAD!  I know what regular pepper spray is like and this is MUCH worse....
MAGA!  Again..

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2016, 05:41:27 PM »
The bear spray fans...what if you are in a tent, or it's windy? I've been pepper sprayed and I'm completely disabled. I'll take the gun every time. I know a lot of guys who spend a lot of time in the Alaskan backcountry and none of them choose spray over side arm.

Alaska backcountry I will have my handgun for a multipurpose tool.  For bear as this OP questioned, spray all the way.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline pashok23

• Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2016, 05:43:31 PM »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]