collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunter facing charges after death of beloved elk named Bullwinkle  (Read 531561 times)

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
Re: Hunter facing charges after death of beloved elk named Bullwinkle
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2016, 09:49:56 PM »
 :yeah:  I see this helping the defense in justifying a change of venue as this article and this site paints a picture of "locals" already established as prejudice towards the person facing charges.

I'm not supporting him, I'm just stating a possibility. It's painted the picture of guilty before getting a fair trial by a juror of peers.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2016, 09:55:05 PM »
:yeah:  I see this helping the defense in justifying a change of venue as this article and this site paints a picture of "locals" already established as prejudice towards the person facing charges.

I'm not supporting him, I'm just stating a possibility. It's painted the picture of guilty before getting a fair trial by a juror of peers.

Seems like there are enough supporters [ however misguided] from the valley as well so no need to change venue  :twocents:

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2016, 10:13:39 PM »
I see this helping the defense in justifying a change of venue

I wouldn't mind seeing it moved to King County!

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2016, 11:01:00 PM »
Is this the same guy and the same tag but 9 years ago? Interesting. Prior allegations and convictions don't usually help an alleged poachers case.

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/headlines/trophy-elk-hunter-must-stay-out-of-national-forests-for-2-years-after-pleading-guilty-to-charges-related-to-2007-governors-tag-kill/

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
Really, we're doing this again, a day after the previous lengthy topic was locked?  Can't people just be happy for now that the State has filed charges and now let the process work instead of all this needless discussion over a well beaten topic? 

I hope this thread is locked quickly so it doesn't keep popping up in my "show new replies to your post" page.
:chuckle: yea but what fun is that lol.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2016, 11:45:28 PM »
Interesting side note here....

"Bullwinkle often fed at the home of Mark and Frances Chmelewski, the couple who gave him that name.

“He would come into our yard and eat apples off our tree, and we’d sit and watch, just meters from him,” Mark Chmelewski said.

“Every year we’d say a little prayer that Bullwinkle would survive the hunting season because he was just such a beautiful, majestic animal.”"

and then after google

http://www.dailyrecordnews.com/news/frances-chmelewski-is-new-kittitas-county-superior-court-judge/article_61b61d0a-162c-11e1-8f9d-001cc4c03286.html

Karma??

Payback's a bit*×! and her stripper name is Karma!

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2016, 05:21:09 AM »
Interesting side note here....

"Bullwinkle often fed at the home of Mark and Frances Chmelewski, the couple who gave him that name.

“He would come into our yard and eat apples off our tree, and we’d sit and watch, just meters from him,” Mark Chmelewski said.

“Every year we’d say a little prayer that Bullwinkle would survive the hunting season because he was just such a beautiful, majestic animal.”"

and then after google

http://www.dailyrecordnews.com/news/frances-chmelewski-is-new-kittitas-county-superior-court-judge/article_61b61d0a-162c-11e1-8f9d-001cc4c03286.html

Karma??
oh snap!
Wonder if that actually helps him?  Can't the defense petition to bring in an unrelated judge from another county if there is some kind of conflict?

They already have.  The judge he was to appear in front of in the arraignment is from Yakima I think.  It is not one of the local judges. 

Offline danderson

• Hunter Education Instructor
  • Sourdough
    • elkhornarchers
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2016, 07:08:14 AM »
It should be moved to Upper Kittitas County District court,  :twocents:

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2016, 07:19:33 AM »
I'm not going to comment on the legalities of it because I was not there nor the one that got supposed permission to hunt that area.

I do have a problem though with the part about how it's bad to shoot an animal in a field. Zero difference then shooting a cat out of a tree. Neither one takes any skill yet 99% of the people on this site would jump at the chance to shoot a lion in a tree. The first thread on this issue was started because guys were saying it wasn't much of a hunt. Not that it was illegal. Then that started after a page or two.

So for the guys that are saying it's not hunting get off your high horse.
You do a lot of hound hunting Brandon??

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2016, 07:46:49 AM »
I'm not going to comment on the legalities of it because I was not there nor the one that got supposed permission to hunt that area.

I do have a problem though with the part about how it's bad to shoot an animal in a field. Zero difference then shooting a cat out of a tree. Neither one takes any skill yet 99% of the people on this site would jump at the chance to shoot a lion in a tree. The first thread on this issue was started because guys were saying it wasn't much of a hunt. Not that it was illegal. Then that started after a page or two.

I would guess not lol

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2016, 08:22:26 AM »
Greed.

Some suffer from it.

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2016, 08:46:08 AM »

oooo you beat me to it!
-Matt

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2016, 08:49:24 AM »
Drive to field, shoot elk.

Cut tracks, release hounds, track, follow, find, keep up and not fall off a cliff,  find treed cat,  decide to shoot,  if not, repeat again if you have the strength.

Sounds the same to me!

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2016, 08:53:28 AM »
Well actually, I have to say, I was glad that someone posted a link to the Yakima Herald article. I may not have seen it otherwise. I probably would have posted it myself if I had come across it first. This is also being discussed on Facebook and I'm sure there are comments being posted in the Yakima Herald as well.

thanks for the link to the article. I find it interesting how this one animal and hunter has created such a stir... from a different perspective, this person has probably put into WA state conservation (financially) MORE than this entire site full of hunters combine since just 2007. I don't know him, his ethics, or how rich he is either.. This animal was a conservation tool, used to draw money from us all for a chance of a lifetime, one ticket ever year for me too! Ethics and location maybe not so much. In the end, the money this one hunter has given has most likely made a direct impact in WA and now, the state will waste most of it (i bet) toward litigation and investigation fees. Why not just fix the book to allow this to occur, after all, these raffles and auction tags are just designed to make conservation dollars as I am led to understand in all the writings right? One draw, one animal, one hunter? Is it really that bad that this old rich dude paid to play or are we just jealous and casting stones?
Again, just considering the gain from all the moneys invested, not the ethical hunting of one man position. I find it more appalling when a person of this financial affluence takes the route of posting up a 100K piece of property his millionaire buddies to hunt and not giving back, don't you?

So should he also be able to shoot a Record Book Roosevelt in Grays Harbor, Lewis or Pacific County?  If not why not?  Here, let me answer that for ya:  Because that South Central Washington - Big Game Raffle Tag is not good there.  WTH is so hard to figure out about that.

Now, re: the "Bullwinkle" aspects of this - just because something is legal, is it a smart thing to do?   Well, irrespective of the legal issues, Scott Sandsberry was talking with residents and property owners all around the area who had absolutely no idea that any law was broken.   They were PO'd, and they thought that shooting this bull was wrong and they were talking to Scott Sandsberry about why they thought it was wrong, but they had no idea that the tag he used to kill the bull with came with this restriction: 
South Central Washington - Big Game $ 17.00 per ticket
Elk: Any 300 or 500 series GMU open to elk hunting except GMUs not open to branch antlered bull elk hunting
http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/permits/raffles/index.html   

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2016, 09:01:20 AM »
That article doesn't paint a great picture for hunting in general...
Not a good deal any way you look at it.
I agree 100%.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101