collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunter facing charges after death of beloved elk named Bullwinkle  (Read 531532 times)

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Hunter facing charges after death of beloved elk named Bullwinkle
« Reply #225 on: May 21, 2016, 08:06:49 AM »
for all bearpaws and kiti excuses there is no legal authority  for this elk to have been shot where it was  :twocents: 

Now the court will decide

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #226 on: May 21, 2016, 08:15:37 AM »
Wow alot more keeps piling on since I looked at this site. Like I said I got on here to clear things up. I guess that didn't happen at all. The hunter seems to be judged worse and many of you discredited me. Do what you need to do.

The true fact is at the time the only question in anobodys  mind  was could a rifle be used, or did it need to be a muzzleloader. So they did what we were tought 30 years ago in the fire arms safety course and called and asked the question. Mr. Grant said that it could not be killed with a rifle in that unit. Then was asked if it could because the hunter was disabled.  He said he would figure it out. 16 minutes later (documented) he called back and told them they shouldn't use a rifle and muzzleloader was fine. That shows Grant knew the exact unit this was in.

I have been hunting for more than 3 decades. I miss the times when things didn't seem to change so much. I appaud the people on here that seem to know every rule all the time as thinges change. We all try to keep up on everything.  But are not afraid to call and ask for clarification when needed. In this case WDFG didn't just say it was ok, they went and double checked and again gave the ok.
This was a high profile tag, nobody involved wanted any issues in this case.

Worst part on this forum is the hunter has had some very bad things said about him. He is one of the most generous good people alive. And has done more for the elk than 95% of the hunters in this state combined.
If this is true then Mr Grant should be reprimanded.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline kiticaashunter

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #227 on: May 21, 2016, 08:20:35 AM »
Wow alot more keeps piling on since I looked at this site. Like I said I got on here to clear things up. I guess that didn't happen at all. The hunter seems to be judged worse and many of you discredited me. Do what you need to do.

The true fact is at the time the only question in anobodys  mind  was could a rifle be used, or did it need to be a muzzleloader. So they did what we were tought 30 years ago in the fire arms safety course and called and asked the question. Mr. Grant said that it could not be killed with a rifle in that unit. Then was asked if it could because the hunter was disabled.  He said he would figure it out. 16 minutes later (documented) he called back and told them they shouldn't use a rifle and muzzleloader was fine. That shows Grant knew the exact unit this was in.

I have been hunting for more than 3 decades. I miss the times when things didn't seem to change so much. I appaud the people on here that seem to know every rule all the time as thinges change. We all try to keep up on everything.  But are not afraid to call and ask for clarification when needed. In this case WDFG didn't just say it was ok, they went and double checked and again gave the ok.

Worst part on this forum is the hunter has had some very bad things said about him. He is one of the most generous good people alive. And has done more for the elk than 95% of the hunters in this state combined.

Agree. I believe the department hoped this would go away. A few people that didn't know the details kept the pressure on and the county caved to that pressure.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #228 on: May 21, 2016, 08:22:33 AM »

Agree. I believe the department hoped this would go away. A few people that didn't know the details kept the pressure on and the county caved to that pressure.
I'm glad the county did the right thing.

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #229 on: May 21, 2016, 08:24:50 AM »
Depending on the date when this "hunt" occurred, there is a antlerless hunt in that unit mid November until mid December. You could the WDFW office and say: I'm elk hunting and I'm not sure if I can hunt with a mod rifle or not, can you help me out? Response: Where are you? I'll check and call you back. Ring: You can hunt there but it's a firearms restricted area, so shotgun, muzzle loader or bow. Response: Thanks!

Thing is the other elk that was shot in a "yard" was legal. This elk was not, ever! Oh yea, it was shot in a yard too!

Mr. Grant knew the exact bull that was was going to be taken. There was no trickery or word's twisted  in this case. At the time he gave gave the good to go he was up for promotion. Since then he has gotten it and tried hard to distance himself from this. He is an honest guy and will tell the truth on the stand. And that will be that he double checked to make sure it was all good.

I'm curious are you testifying in the case. Your  giving the impression that you know specific details related to the case, which is interesting because generally open forum web conversation about "facts" of a case are normally not recommended by either side. And I'm sure Grant would not appreciate the nature at which he is being thrown under the bus in regards to his alleged involvement.

At this point I have not been asked to testify. I will have no problem doing so and telling them what I know if they do ask. But I really doubt this case ends up in court, the charge was a result of relentless pressure from a few.

I agree with you on your last comment.  I think there is the relentless pressure of a few. 
275 down 2

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #230 on: May 21, 2016, 08:25:09 AM »
Sorry but this makes no sense to me. Who calls the WDFW and asks about hunting in a unit that is closed? Why would that even be considered an option? I don't believe it happened that way. Not in a million years would I ever think to call and ask permission to illegally kill an elk.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #231 on: May 21, 2016, 08:27:00 AM »
If Reichert had not been previously charged and punished for lying to investigators about illegal elk hunting...I might believe him.  I doubt seriously an officer gave clear guidance that it was legal to kill this bull...if he did, then once reichert is convicted and stripped of his hunting priveleges sportsmen need to seek removal of this officer for his involvement in this criminal activity.

Kitti, you still haven't answered my very simple question.  What about the regs caused you to call wdfw regarding the legality of shooting this bull?  Obviously you knew something wasn't right.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #232 on: May 21, 2016, 08:27:07 AM »
Sorry but this makes no sense to me. Who calls the WDFW and asks about hunting in a unit that is closed? Why would that even be considered an option? I don't believe it happened that way. Not in a million years would I ever think to call and ask permission to illegally kill an elk.

Entitlement?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #233 on: May 21, 2016, 08:30:47 AM »

So, why was the only question in anyone's mind about whether a modern rifle could be used. Did anyone not question if it was OK to shoot s bull in 334? Was that an oversight on everyone's part (maybe including Mr. Grant) that 334 was closed for the raffle or auction tags? That's what it sounds like to me........a mistake on everyone's part not knowing that 334 was closed. 
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Kazekurt

• Scout
  • The trophy is in the hunt; the animal is a bonus!
« Reply #234 on: May 21, 2016, 08:37:26 AM »
He is one of the most generous good people alive. And has done more for the elk than 95% of the hunters in this state combined.

What more has he done than the bidder $1000 behind his bid wouldn't have done?

While I appreciate the  contributions this guy has made to conservation, One can certainly also argue that  by being involved in two high-profile cases  in which wildlife rules were violated,  (either knowingly or unknowingly,  it really doesn't matter the damage is the same) he has probably done more damage to the hunting community than 95% of the people on here.  It only takes one "Cecil the lion" to do a lot of damage.   Unfortunately, trophy hunting already carries a negative stigma with most of the non-hunting population  so when a trophy hunter violates rules  in an effort to take the biggest baddest animal around it provides them more ammunition to push for changes and  regulations that cripple the tradition and means of  subsidence that many of us cherish.   I am quite certain based upon Mr. Reichert  available resources , that he has lawyers on retainer and advisors that could know the game pamphlet backwards and forwards and advise him if he wanted that.  I personally hunt three states. I make an effort each year to read the pamphlet for each state  so I am aware of the rules and regulations I will be expected to follow.  The bottom line is That  with some hunters, the end justifies the means.  If they  have a certain animal targeted, they will do what it takes to get it.   There is no doubt in my mind Mr. Reichert could have chose 100 quality bulls to shoot legally with that tag But choose to push the limits on one that involved some gray area.  People on here can claim all they want that he did not know that he was in a unit not open to branch antler Bulls.  That is your right to claim that and probably smart  from a legal standpoint but recognize that the vast, vast majority of people who hear about this case will not believe you.  In the end, your "ignorance and permission granted" argument may suffice to stave of prosecution but the damage is already done.  The outcome of Mr Reicherts legal proceedings will do little to stem the black eye the hunting community has suffered as a result of this debacle.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #235 on: May 21, 2016, 08:39:53 AM »
 :yeah:
The bad press he's just generated has probably done more bad than the last decade of good by all elk hunters including him.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #236 on: May 21, 2016, 08:40:43 AM »

So, why was the only question in anyone's mind about whether a modern rifle could be used. Did anyone not question if it was OK to shoot s bull in 334? Was that an oversight on everyone's part (maybe including Mr. Grant) that 334 was closed for the raffle or auction tags? That's what it sounds like to me........a mistake on everyone's part not knowing that 334 was closed. 
I tend to agree with Curly.  The wrong issue was being addressed in the calls between the wdfw and the accused, and the answer to the wrong question was used to justify the illegal take of this bull.  This demonstrates either a gross incompetence or deliberate attempt to skirt the law.

I liken it to a mugger calling a local police precinct if he can carry a pistol in a gun-free zone.  And, after being told no, he just conducts his muggings with a switchblade instead.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Kazekurt

• Scout
  • The trophy is in the hunt; the animal is a bonus!
« Reply #237 on: May 21, 2016, 09:01:36 AM »
I would like to issue a challenge to MR. Reichert.  Since your supporters on this site have clearly tried to  emphasize the numerous positive contributions you have made to conservation and hunting  over the handful of alleged indiscretions  you have been linked too; I'm assuming a champion of conservation like yourself would not want an animal in  his trophy room that had any stigma of indescretion associated with it.  If you are found innocent of all charges and allowed to keep the bull I challenge you to pay to have the bull taxidermied and then to donate it to the city of Ellensburg to be put on display in a public building and thereby enjoyed  in perpetuity by the local residents who have come to love that bull. I believe such an act would go a long way towards showing that you are in fact the man that your supporters  characterize you to be and would somewhat mitigate the negative stigma associated with your hunt; especially in the area in which the bull was taken.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #238 on: May 21, 2016, 09:01:57 AM »
He is one of the most generous good people alive. And has done more for the elk than 95% of the hunters in this state combined.

What more has he done than the bidder $1000 behind his bid wouldn't have done?

While I appreciate the  contributions this guy has made to conservation, One can certainly also argue that  by being involved in two high-profile cases  in which wildlife rules were violated,  (either knowingly or unknowingly,  it really doesn't matter the damage is the same) he has probably done more damage to the hunting community than 95% of the people on here.  It only takes one "Cecil the lion" to do a lot of damage.   Unfortunately, trophy hunting already carries a negative stigma with most of the non-hunting population  so when a trophy hunter violates rules  in an effort to take the biggest baddest animal around it provides them more ammunition to push for changes and  regulations that cripple the tradition and means of  subsidence that many of us cherish.   I am quite certain based upon Mr. Reichert  available resources , that he has lawyers on retainer and advisors that could know the game pamphlet backwards and forwards and advise him if he wanted that.  I personally hunt three states. I make an effort each year to read the pamphlet for each state  so I am aware of the rules and regulations I will be expected to follow.  The bottom line is That  with some hunters, the end justifies the means.  If they  have a certain animal targeted, they will do what it takes to get it.   There is no doubt in my mind Mr. Reichert could have chose 100 quality bulls to shoot legally with that tag But choose to push the limits on one that involved some gray area.  People on here can claim all they want that he did not know that he was in a unit not open to branch antler Bulls.  That is your right to claim that and probably smart  from a legal standpoint but recognize that the vast, vast majority of people who hear about this case will not believe you.  In the end, your "ignorance and permission granted" argument may suffice to stave of prosecution but the damage is already done.  The outcome of Mr Reicherts legal proceedings will do little to stem the black eye the hunting community has suffered as a result of this debacle.
Very well said!

I would also point out from a financial perspective...these raffle and auction tags are specks of dust in a budget.  Just us commoners in E wa combined pay more for conservation and wildlife in one year than reichert has in his lifetime...even if we include his criminal fines :chuckle:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Landowner

• Scout
« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2016, 09:22:28 AM »
The issue for me is why this tag holder was intent on killing a bull that had a well known reputation of being tame under any reasonable hunting standard.  This bull appears to have let his natural guard and instincts down because he was  a part of the community, so to speak.     

And the landowner who let him do it, well, that's a another troubling matter in my book.   

Remarkable.  Time to find a new sport, maybe bird watching. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 09:45:16 AM by Landowner »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand