collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunter facing charges after death of beloved elk named Bullwinkle  (Read 531527 times)

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
Re: Hunter facing charges after death of beloved elk named Bullwinkle
« Reply #270 on: May 21, 2016, 03:13:31 PM »
He is one of the most generous good people alive. And has done more for the elk than 95% of the hunters in this state combined.

What more has he done than the bidder $1000 behind his bid wouldn't have done?

While I appreciate the  contributions this guy has made to conservation, One can certainly also argue that  by being involved in two high-profile cases  in which wildlife rules were violated,  (either knowingly or unknowingly,  it really doesn't matter the damage is the same) he has probably done more damage to the hunting community than 95% of the people on here.  It only takes one "Cecil the lion" to do a lot of damage.   Unfortunately, trophy hunting already carries a negative stigma with most of the non-hunting population  so when a trophy hunter violates rules  in an effort to take the biggest baddest animal around it provides them more ammunition to push for changes and  regulations that cripple the tradition and means of  subsidence that many of us cherish.   I am quite certain based upon Mr. Reichert  available resources , that he has lawyers on retainer and advisors that could know the game pamphlet backwards and forwards and advise him if he wanted that.  I personally hunt three states. I make an effort each year to read the pamphlet for each state  so I am aware of the rules and regulations I will be expected to follow.  The bottom line is That  with some hunters, the end justifies the means.  If they  have a certain animal targeted, they will do what it takes to get it.   There is no doubt in my mind Mr. Reichert could have chose 100 quality bulls to shoot legally with that tag But choose to push the limits on one that involved some gray area.  People on here can claim all they want that he did not know that he was in a unit not open to branch antler Bulls.  That is your right to claim that and probably smart  from a legal standpoint but recognize that the vast, vast majority of people who hear about this case will not believe you.  In the end, your "ignorance and permission granted" argument may suffice to stave of prosecution but the damage is already done.  The outcome of Mr Reicherts legal proceedings will do little to stem the black eye the hunting community has suffered as a result of this debacle.

You Sir are spot on!  Well said.
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #271 on: May 21, 2016, 03:20:25 PM »
From the very beginning this was never going to end well.  Stevie Wonder could see that. 

Probably the most concise assessment of this entire mess, right there.

The fact that he would WANT to kill this bull makes me question everything about his conservation ethic.

Regardless of what Mr. Reichert spends annually on rich man/auction tags, he has cost us all with this episode.

Yes he has, and more than anything I resent the stigma he has cast over the hunting community with this reckless and irresponsible act.  We as hunters have not done a thing to bring this mess on, but those who oppose hunting will attempt to use this incident as a broad brush to tar us with. 

But for Mr Reichert et all's actions there would be no controversy.  And just to clear something up, I sent an email, made one phone call and paid one visit to the Prosecutor's Office.  The call and visit were to ask a question or two and the email was to encourage prosecution if that is where the evidence leads.  And that is a stone cold natural fact.

That stigma was very well promoted by you trying to further your which hunt on forums all the way to the east coast.

You referring to this thread that was 41 pages before I joined it? 

3125263 - Mon Sep 23 2013 05:52 PM Re: elk gov tag [Re: jakesroost]

you are correct that Tod has had past problems/issues. What I can assuredly tell you 100% is that while tod was with ECO he was a fine upstanding man and we didn't need dig up his or anyone else's "skeletons." He explained to Jack early on during their phone conversations the incident you are referring to. Jack was confident that Tod had seen the error of his ways and paid his "debt to society" so to speak and he started on a clean slate when he came to ECO.

The bull was killed on State forest land not national forest land so there is no concern in that aspect. ECO runs a tight ship and there is no room for rule breakers or rule stretchers among our ranks! THAT IS 100% TRUTH
What the heck...
What does a thread comment from 3 years ago have anything to do with anything?

Is this post even from this forum?

No it is from a forum back east.  The thread is 42 pages long and in that thread Mr Reichert does not fare so well.  It is hard to locate it using a search engine.  I was introduced to it via someone who sent me an email.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #272 on: May 21, 2016, 03:35:25 PM »
Kit & time
 Thank you for the real story
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #273 on: May 21, 2016, 03:40:13 PM »
M-Ray your such a little gossip queen please tell me who told me to stop f-ing with that bull ??? As I have said earlier I had no part in guiding TR on that hunt since I had been archery hunting the two weeks prior in the Okanogan. I was ask if I would help gut and cape the bull for TR. So yes I'm guilty for helping a friend. So Let the court figure this out mess out. Peace out till it goes to court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. He will not tell you who said that because nobody did. This would not even be a story without a few seattle and tacoma guys fabricating the truth. Page after page they say things like this. But will not back it up with with names.

Lol ...Harry told both you and CC! I also find it strange time2hunt that you were there every step of te way all week driving around with TR and then your not there for the 20 min he shoots it ... Then you show up for the gut party? I held up my end and told you who told you to lay off ... Now tell me do I have the rest of this wrong?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #274 on: May 21, 2016, 03:45:03 PM »
Wow haven't spoke to Harry in over a year. And like I said archery hunting up North so you better check and get your story straight.

Local 3482

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #275 on: May 21, 2016, 03:51:10 PM »
Wow haven't spoke to Harry in over a year. And like I said archery hunting up North so you better check and get your story straight.

He will be interested to know you are calling him a liar ...  :chuckle:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Offline time2hunt

• Sourdough
« Reply #276 on: May 21, 2016, 03:53:55 PM »
He knows my number  tell him to call me so at least he can say he talked with me this year.

Local 3482

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #277 on: May 21, 2016, 04:00:18 PM »
From the very beginning this was never going to end well.  Stevie Wonder could see that. 

Probably the most concise assessment of this entire mess, right there.

The fact that he would WANT to kill this bull makes me question everything about his conservation ethic.

Regardless of what Mr. Reichert spends annually on rich man/auction tags, he has cost us all with this episode.

Yes he has, and more than anything I resent the stigma he has cast over the hunting community with this reckless and irresponsible act.  We as hunters have not done a thing to bring this mess on, but those who oppose hunting will attempt to use this incident as a broad brush to tar us with. 

But for Mr Reichert et all's actions there would be no controversy.  And just to clear something up, I sent an email, made one phone call and paid one visit to the Prosecutor's Office.  The call and visit were to ask a question or two and the email was to encourage prosecution if that is where the evidence leads.  And that is a stone cold natural fact.

That stigma was very well promoted by you trying to further your which hunt on forums all the way to the east coast.

You referring to this thread that was 41 pages before I joined it? 

3125263 - Mon Sep 23 2013 05:52 PM Re: elk gov tag [Re: jakesroost]

you are correct that Tod has had past problems/issues. What I can assuredly tell you 100% is that while tod was with ECO he was a fine upstanding man and we didn't need dig up his or anyone else's "skeletons." He explained to Jack early on during their phone conversations the incident you are referring to. Jack was confident that Tod had seen the error of his ways and paid his "debt to society" so to speak and he started on a clean slate when he came to ECO.

The bull was killed on State forest land not national forest land so there is no concern in that aspect. ECO runs a tight ship and there is no room for rule breakers or rule stretchers among our ranks! THAT IS 100% TRUTH
What the heck...
What does a thread comment from 3 years ago have anything to do with anything?

Is this post even from this forum?

No it is from a forum back east.  The thread is 42 pages long and in that thread Mr Reichert does not fare so well.  It is hard to locate it using a search engine.  I was introduced to it via someone who sent me an email.

That you resurrected after it had been dead for 3 years.
:chuckle:
Wow.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Backstraps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • eburg dan
« Reply #278 on: May 21, 2016, 04:04:38 PM »
Allegedly...If there really was confusion of the regs, or special permission was trying to be obtained, why wasn't the question on the phone,"Hey, I have the raffle tag, is there any way I can get permission to shoot a branch antlered bull in 334?"
My thoughts exactly Brent! I would be interested to know if this question was asked on the phone?
Book'em Dano

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #279 on: May 21, 2016, 04:19:54 PM »
He knows my number  tell him to call me so at least he can say he talked with me this year.

No one said he told you THIS year  :dunno:... I think I now know how the wdfw feels about the twist on words   :chuckle:

MB

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #280 on: May 21, 2016, 04:22:15 PM »

No one said he told you THIS year  :dunno:... I think I now know how the wdfw feels about the twist on words   :chuckle:
He said "so he could say he talked to me "this" year, as in 2016.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline time2hunt

• Sourdough
« Reply #281 on: May 21, 2016, 04:24:10 PM »
Once again he can call me and stop having his little peacock spouting off for him. I haven't spoke with Harry in over a year. As for the game dept that between Tod and his guide I'm not part of the investigation.

Local 3482

Offline Kazekurt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • The trophy is in the hunt; the animal is a bonus!
« Reply #282 on: May 21, 2016, 04:31:33 PM »
Kiticasshunter, you clearly seem to know the tag holder so I have a question for you.  When it comes to this individuals hunting exploits is the size of the bull the end all?  Did he ever consider that shooting a bull that was darn near as tame as domestic livestock, well known, and oft photographed might generate  anemosity towards all hunters?  I'm very surprised he choose to burn that tag in this manner considering the opportunities that tag offered him.  Personally, I find little satisfaction in canned hunts but I recognize that not everyone is like me so I won't begrudge another hunter from enjoying the sport in any manner as long as it is legal and ethical.  As a sportsman, however, I always feel an obligation to do my best to represent hunters in a positive  light.  We, hunters, are often our own worst enemy.  When we waste game, make poor ethical decisions involving game, display kills in an undignified manner, hunt in an unsportsmanlike manner, etc we jeopardize the future of hunting.  I figure that roughly 10% of voters hunt.  Another 10% are against hunting so the future of hunting rests with the 80% of voters who don't have a dog in the fight.  I try to always consider how my actions may influence that 80% and do my best to make sure it is for the better.  Anyway, I'm just curious if any of this crossed his mind before he took that shot.  It is my prayer that all of us will do a better job of this in the future so that our grandkids will get to enjoy the same types of hunting experiences that we did. 

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #283 on: May 21, 2016, 04:39:44 PM »
Once again he can call me and stop having his little peacock spouting off for him. I haven't spoke with Harry in over a year. As for the game dept that between Tod and his guide I'm not part of the investigation.

Fair enough that you aren't part of the investigation ... But as far as making the story straight? I think that's between you and him. It's not my story to make straight it's yours! Harry is one of the most up standing men I've known in my life and I trust that if he tells me something then it's the truth. I've already told you he'd like to talk to you too and everyday that you drive out to the frwy you can't miss his shop so if there is a problem with what I've said it seems to me it's easily remedied by just stopping by to speak with him.   

MB

Offline time2hunt

• Sourdough
« Reply #284 on: May 21, 2016, 04:41:13 PM »
Fair enough :)

Local 3482

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter