collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sleep systems  (Read 18075 times)

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: Sleep systems
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2017, 05:38:33 PM »
Sounds great for close to the rig but I'd never pack that when I can get a 1.75# quilt that is warm to under 10 degrees for less than $200

Kind of my thought...

I mean my entire sleep system is right about 4 lbs...that includes pad and tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »
I'm running a megatarp with extensions to raise it off the ground for air flow to avoid condensation. Running an EE 20 down quilt on an r4.4 wide pad. To avoid the drafts and condensation on the quilt I had bearpawwilderness build a custom size bivy out of Cuban bathtub with breathable upper with noseeum over my head for around 7 ounces. If it's super cold or I'm wet I'll run the megatarp to the ground with the annex and 18" cylinder stove.

That or a Ti-Goat Omni Raven bivy at 8 oz: http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Omni-Bivy.html.

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2017, 07:29:25 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Military-Modular-Sleep-System-Goretex/dp/B002LLPILC

Plan to get another one since I got out of the military in 2015. Best sleeping bag I ever had. They're better than the new ones they issue out now. As long as you use it correctly you won't be cold.

This sleeping bag is not a viable option for backpack hunting at over 9 lbs...

Don't have to use both bags to be warm. If weight is your concerned you can subtract 1 of them and still use the bivy on one and be okay.

To what temperature and what weight?

My guess it's still in the 4-5 lb range which just isn't viable for a backpacking application, which I'm assuming the OP is talking about. If not, buy away.

I'm not questioning the quality of warmth of the bag, as I've never used it.

Used this system a bunch while active duty marine corps... Loved it.  Bought a new never used surplus 5 or 6 years ago... It's as good of quality as I remember BUT I'm obviously way more of a soft body now because I can't stand the weight but more so the bulk! Green bag will keep you alive at 30 degrees but not comfy.  Black bag is a must for anything other than summer and it's super bulky without the bivy sack. Anyone want to trade me for a lightweight 10 or 0 degree bag?    :chuckle:

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2017, 12:35:40 PM »
Base camp - 12 person Kifaru tipi with titanium stove
Nemo insulated lite pad travels back and forth with me to spike
REI 0 degree down bag

Spike camp - Seek Outside 8 man tipi with titanium stove
Same pad
Mountain Hardware ultra lamina 10 degree short bag
Outdoor Research alpine bivy for the ultra cold nights and an evolving project we call "ultra spike"

Ultra spike - for those times you just want to keep hiking  :chuckle:
My fella and pal both got Kuiu 0 degree bags for Christmas, and are making a custom, small 3 person plus stove tipi they plan on carrying while hunting. They also have OR bivvies. They're never coming back. :-p
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal