collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear downed with Tikka T3 300 WSM.  (Read 11984 times)

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Bear downed with Tikka T3 300 WSM.
« on: September 30, 2007, 01:13:16 PM »
So, the story goes:

After missing my chance on Wednesday night at a bear @ close range due to the sun and my lack of wanting taking a poor shot, I returned Friday.

Most of the day I walked around/watched a power line road and scurried into the woods to avoid a very chilly hail/rain storm which almost sent me home..but I stayed cause I wanted to check on the previous bear spot at dusk. It cleared up later in the afternoon, which dried me off, thankfully. So I head back to the spot where I spotted the bear on Weds night...I did find a fresh set of tracks on the road, which was probably only a few hours old, due to the rain washing everything clean. But, as the sun set...so did my hopes of finding a bear at that spot, so, I decided to head back to the car.

After walking about 100 feet up from where I was sitting, I noticed a black patch in the brush, rooting around to my right off the road, head down...sure enough..there was the bear, quiet as could be, but eating blackberries like they do. The bear was facing away from me so I scurried up the gravel road a few more feet to get a more clear shot, as an alder tree was blocking my view just slightly. I watch and listen for a short time and then pull up with my Tikka T3 300 WSM (a new gun to me this year)...I aim behind the right should, as now the bear has spun slightly, is facing me but the head is down in the brush. It was 78 yards to the bear from where I shot. I fire the weapon  BOOOM!  :drool:.  and the bear spun and bolted in a straight line away from me, brush exploding as it ran into some 20ft tall alders and nasty blackberries...but I only saw two alder trees get smashed into by the bear, so it did not go far.

I reload, as this is happening only to see another bear pop up from behind a large stump, to the right of where I just shot. He stands up, is similar in size to the one I just shot, and he looks confused. He glances around rapidly and I keep my scope aimed at his chest in case he decides to charge...his head darts around for about 20 or 30 seconds and I am wondering what he is going to do...after a few minutes, he gets on all fours and darts to my right, back behind the stump and into the brush.

I have not heard any bawling or crashing whatsoever since I shot the bear, so I am not sure if it is wounded or down, I call my brothers on the cell and tell them the news...I then mark where I shot on the road and head into the semiclear cut...brush is waste deep on me. I mark where I believe I shot and where the bear headed, im on high alert with my pistol drawn, not knowing if the bear would lunge out at me from the alders or not. Not feeling overly comfortable at the failing light with the possibilty of a wounded bear in the brush close by, I back out after making my marks, gather my things and hike the 1 1/2 miles back to the car. My brothers and I decide to track it in the morning, praying for no rain.

The next morning my bro Jimmy, who got a bear opening day with me, bucked up and came out to help his older, more handsome brother..me..and I am glad he did. We get to the scene and begin the search....cannot find blood ( I found none the night before, but it was getting to be dark quickly, I was sure I hit it nonetheless), there are bear trails all throughout the brush and I can only rely on my marks and memory on where the bear went....we search for three hours in the brush, going from alders to brush, getting cut up, etc...still no blood, fur, obvious signs...etc..

Then when we were both getting frustrated, Jimmy calls out "Found him!" ....YES! There was the bear, no more than 30 feet or so from where I shot, just inside the nasty 6 foot tall blackberries, surrounded by the 20 ft alders. He actually smelled the bear and that is what caused him to look at this particular spot. The brush was so thick you literally had to be on your hands and knees to even see there bear where it lay.

There was no blood trail to the bear (it did not rain that night) regardless of the 4 inch or bigger exit wound caused by the bullet. There was some blood just around the bear, but even then, very little. It was amazing the lack of trail left.
That trail was not there...we had to cut it...

The sow has scares around the eyes and head, and even a nasty scar on the back right leg about 4 inches long. She was a fighter. Her front teeth were almost all gone due to age. She is my second bear and much bigger than the first. Her intestines were purple from all the black berries. She has some grey hair throughout the coat and has great paws.
I brought my 30 30 brush gun, due to the close quarters.

The bullet hit here behind her right shoulder and exited under her left shoulder, near the armpit. While gutting her, I noticed I hit her in the heart, as there was about a 1/3 of it missing. I cant believe how tough an animal bears are, after exploding its heart, it still ran as far as it did. I am getting summer sausage, pepperoni and a few roasts out of the meat. Another great memory... ;)

After we gutted her, took off alot of fat, and skinned her taking off the feet and head for the rug, she weighed in at 100lbs even at the butcher....See pics below. Special thanks to my brother Jimmy for the help in getting her out and to Dave for the tips.

After it was skinned

My face..its paw..

Hard to see in pic...but the front teeth are almost completly rotted out.

Some of the fat...not all the fat on the floor to the lower left.

The game kart is a life saver....

Loved those paws... :tung:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 11:33:50 PM by saylean »

Offline LongTatLaw

• Suckling Slayer!
  • Sourdough
  • My 2009 West WA - Shotgun kitty Kat
Re: Friday night bear follies...the return of the 300 WSM.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 09:22:44 PM »
She is beautiful bro!

Way to go! Shame you didnt have a hunting buddy with ya...say me! I coulda handled that 2nd bear for ya...lol

My monster bear did not return tonight :( :(
I guess I missed my chance!

This is a pretty sow! That hair looks perfect!!! That rug should be gorgeous!

Congrats!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 09:47:11 PM »
Congrats!  Nice bear!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 11:29:47 PM »
Great Stuff! Way to go! Good story too, thanks very much!
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 08:13:55 AM »
Way cool!

Offline bearhunter59

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 09:16:28 AM »
Damn!!! Nice job!  After reading that story, I think me needs to get me a BIGGGG hand gun.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 10:01:41 AM »
She is beautiful bro!

Way to go! Shame you didnt have a hunting buddy with ya...say me! I coulda handled that 2nd bear for ya...lol

Ya, it was a shame I didnt have my second tag with me, I would have nailed that other one too..Oh well. Went to go by my second bear tag yesterday, dang WSDFW license systems were down....I have to get another bear tag for deer season,...just in case.. ;) Thanks for all the grats guys and gals.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 12:07:21 PM »
Very cool story and pics! Do you do anything with the fat?  My grandpa used to say bear fat makes great lamp oil.
I was just curious
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 01:22:13 PM »
Very cool story and pics! Do you do anything with the fat?  My grandpa used to say bear fat makes great lamp oil.
I was just curious

It funny you mention that. My brother and I, while skinning it, said what good candles the stuff might make...no we didnt use the fat, just cut off long thick strips of it before we dropped off the meat at the butchers...man, I hate the feeling of that stuff, so dang greasy...all part of the fun though.  :hello:

Offline T-ROY

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 04:06:23 PM »
Nice job, Good looking hide

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]