collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: best caliber for coyote hunting  (Read 53930 times)

Offline alanger

• Yar ankle biter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Team super bait
best caliber for coyote hunting
« on: February 02, 2009, 08:19:43 AM »
i was just wondering yall thought was the "best" coyote gun or your favorite. i was wondering becuase i am thinking of getting a .223 and .243 but i was wondering which to get first to get out and hunt some yotes! i already got a 17hmr thats a sweet gun in my opinion. shoot dead on everytime.
~Ankle biter out~

Team super bait!     Gamakatsu     ~Ugly Stick~
Abu Garcia  'Bone Collector'   -Bowtech-  <Berkley fishing>
Cannon~DigiTroll     FLW Outdoors     ~Cabela's~

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
Re: best caliber for coyote hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 08:32:23 AM »
I like my 220 swift but I think the 22-250 is the very best for coyotes. Fast, deadly, everybody chambers for it.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline SpokaneSlayer

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 08:39:40 AM »
I voted for 22-250, but I seem to go to my 25-06 more.

"Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast!" - Machine Head

Offline JoshT

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:42:49 AM »
I voted for 22-250, but I seem to go to my 25-06 more.

Smart shooter... bad voter? My go-to coyote gun is also a .25-06... they don't move after that combo strikes... unless it's a gravity aided roll down a steep canyon face.

Sorry to break it to all you .22/250 and Swift guys, BUT... the .243/6mm Rem. is where real coyote calibers start... .22 centerfires will always suck hind teet to the 55 NBT at 4k+.
Strike Hard...
Strike Fast...
No Mercy, SIR!

Offline Gutpile

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:44:16 AM »
 :rolleyes:

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline alanger

• Yar ankle biter
  • Sourdough
  • Team super bait
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 08:46:51 AM »
yeah i just wanted to see who would come up with a .22. i heard ppl saying they shot coyotes and i was just seeing if anyone really did use them.
~Ankle biter out~

Team super bait!     Gamakatsu     ~Ugly Stick~
Abu Garcia  'Bone Collector'   -Bowtech-  <Berkley fishing>
Cannon~DigiTroll     FLW Outdoors     ~Cabela's~

Offline Gutpile

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:58:53 AM »
I want to know who voted the 17hmr to the best.  :P

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline JoshT

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 09:07:17 AM »
I want to know who voted the 17hmr to the best.  :P

Not me... I voted for the .22 Short
Strike Hard...
Strike Fast...
No Mercy, SIR!

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 09:14:08 AM »
Have to agree with JoshT on this one.....my BAT actioned .243 should be done in a couple months.  55 and 70 grain BT's are hard to beat when mated with the 6mm family cartridges.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 09:15:49 AM »
ive shot more coyotes with my 270 than i have with any of those other ranges. but ide say a 243 is pretty good!

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 09:24:58 AM »
I get a kick out of polls and statements that refer to "the best".  So much depends on your criteria.  Is it pure balistics, availibility of ammo, availability of bullets, etc?  Of the guns listed I voted 223 just for the blend of performance, availability, and affortability.  As a general rule most of the 22-25 cal center fires are gonna do the job just fine.  The 22 cal stuff IMO is more versitile overall as a varmit gun (not strickly coyotes) from the sense of just not wanting to bang away w/ a 24 or 25 cals on ground squirrels.   

Offline JoshT

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 10:07:54 AM »
I get a kick out of polls and statements that refer to "the best".  So much depends on your criteria.  Is it pure balistics, availibility of ammo, availability of bullets, etc?  Of the guns listed I voted 223 just for the blend of performance, availability, and affortability.  As a general rule most of the 22-25 cal center fires are gonna do the job just fine.  The 22 cal stuff IMO is more versitile overall as a varmit gun (not strickly coyotes) from the sense of just not wanting to bang away w/ a 24 or 25 cals on ground squirrels.   

This one seems pretty specific to me... BEST CALIBER FOR COYOTE HUNTING. The question doesn't ask 'most economical coyote caliber' or 'best varmint/coyote caliber'... not even 'most widely distributed coyote caliber'... it implys nothing about saving fur, calling, road hunting, glassing, baiting, etc.

Why did I state .243/6mm? Because it is the best... how do I know? Hundreds of coyotes were harmed in the name of science. Emperical evidence has shown the 6mms absolutely dominate ANY of the .22 centerfires... almost no run-offs, superior down-range performance, superior trajectorys, superior projectiles, etc. If given a shot at a coyote... under nearly any field condition... I refuse to believe that anyone in their right mind would rather have a .22/250... than a .243 loaded with 55-70 grain bullets.
Strike Hard...
Strike Fast...
No Mercy, SIR!

Offline deaddog

• Y.A.R. life member
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 10:53:32 AM »

This one seems pretty specific to me... BEST CALIBER FOR COYOTE HUNTING. The question doesn't ask 'most economical coyote caliber' or 'best varmint/coyote caliber'... not even 'most widely distributed coyote caliber'... it implys nothing about saving fur, calling, road hunting, glassing, baiting, etc.

Why did I state .243/6mm? Because it is the best... how do I know? Hundreds of coyotes were harmed in the name of science. Emperical evidence has shown the 6mms absolutely dominate ANY of the .22 centerfires... almost no run-offs, superior down-range performance, superior trajectorys, superior projectiles, etc. If given a shot at a coyote... under nearly any field condition... I refuse to believe that anyone in their right mind would rather have a .22/250... than a .243 loaded with 55-70 grain bullets.
243 the best uh, Ill have to check all the dogs Iv shot with a 223 and see if they are realy dead. I always thought dead was dead but evidently Iv been wrong all these years and if your basing your opinion on the ballistics then why not say 338 lapua would be the best or 300 winny or or or.
God is great, Beer is good, people are crazy.

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 10:55:19 AM »
any caliber that I have in my hand when I see the mangy critters!!!!    ;)
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 11:38:04 AM »

243 the best uh, Ill have to check all the dogs Iv shot with a 223 and see if they are realy dead. I always thought dead was dead but evidently Iv been wrong all these years and if your basing your opinion on the ballistics then why not say 338 lapua would be the best or 300 winny or or or.

Put a 55 grain BT (.276 B.C.) at 4050-4100 fps in your ballistics program.   Use a 300 yard zero and look at trajectory and wind from 100 - 600 yards.  Then, try to find something that compares.   If you can hit a chuck or 'yote at 600+ consistently, then you are a better shot than I am :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]