collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk 101 University of Elk  (Read 22528 times)

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Elk 101 University of Elk
« on: June 17, 2016, 06:12:03 AM »
After seeing some reviews on Corey Jacobson's course I jumped in and got the on line elk course for myself. I have been amazed so far on the amount of information that is in the course.

If anyone is trying to step their elk game up a notch I think it's worth the $. Phelps and Brian Call helped out in sections and the course covers everything from application strategies, conditioning, gear lists, to quartering and packing.

If your interested, go to Elk101.com and check it out.
Currently I know two discount codes for $40 off.
Gritty40 or Phelps40 - I think you help support Jason and Brian depending on which one you use.

Also if you sign up please put my email down in the referral box. It gives me a few chances in the drawing for some new gear and a $10 gift certificate at Elk 101.
Email: Joe.r.petersen@gmail.com

Thanks guys and gals! If you have any questions about it let me know I'll know more as I get farther through the course.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:26:21 PM by Wetwoodshunter »

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Elk 101 University of Elk
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 10:23:40 AM »
Anyone else check out the course yet? I've made it through the scouting, workout, getting tags and am about to start a new chapter. :IBCOOL: I can't quit reading lol.

Offline DVET253

• Undergraduate in Trajectory
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF (Life Member) Vortex Nation
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:43:27 AM »
Wetwoods,

I signed up for the course the day it went live, after knowing about it before hand and taking part in the lead up "project success" that Cory did months before the UEH launch. GREAT STUFF!

I have since showed this to my hunting buddy (haus), my dad and uncle (both of who are in their mid 60's, both longtime elk hunters) and they are completely blown away at the depth in which Cory goes into detail in the various modules. At this moment they are watching the "how to use diaphragm elk calls" tutorials on heavy repeat.... :chuckle:

Folks the course is worth looking into wether you're a seasoned hunter or a just starting out! Even at the regular price, the amount of videos and in-depth written text alone is well worth the investment.
2018 Hoyt RX-1 Ultra (subalpine) 70Lbs
Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro
Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL 3-pin custom
Easton FMJ .300's with 100gr FP and Slick Tricks
Vortex Optics

Offline notsosneaky

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:10:04 AM »
My review
It's well worth th $60 just by the volume of centralized info.

Offline go4itlab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 05:06:54 PM »
I bought in too, like it  :tup: :tup:

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 06:03:30 PM »
Hey guys, I found another code today if the other ones don't work anymore.

TRO30 gets you $30 off. (The rich outdoors)

I'm looking forward to the calling module but this week am working on Tacoma so I bet all the other people in my hotel would get pissed about that guy that locked an angry bull in his room.

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 10:20:16 PM »
Anyone else check out the course yet? I've made it through the scouting, workout, getting tags and am about to start a new chapter. :IBCOOL: I can't quit reading lol.
Absolutely
RMEF

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 11:31:15 AM »
So what is everybody's favorite chapter so far?

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 11:58:25 AM »
Google earth scouting and transferring info to gps unit!
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 09:23:01 PM »
I had some free time last night and made it through the gear list section. Kinda made me think how much extra stuff I end up taking for a day hunt that I rarely use.

Thanks everyone that referred me so far. I really appreciate it.

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 10:23:15 PM »
From what I can gather this is targeted mostly at archery hunters.  Is that correct, or does it also go into the issues faced by modern firearm hunters?  Given that modern season is usually well after the rut, while archery season is during the height of the rut, I'm not sure if this has much applicability to my hunting.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 06:00:09 AM »
Sumpnz,

There are plenty of take aways for a rifle hunter in the course. Even though Corey is a archery hunter he goes into late season tactics and differences in elk behavior later in the year. A lot of the information in the course surrounds how to plan a successful hunt and making sure you have the right gear.

Granted, if you have hunted elk for 30 years and are successful the majority of the time you might get less out of it than I have. But for me Rosie's are still a huge challenge and I need all the help I can get. Plus for me, I really enjoy the course content so my entertainment value is pretty high.

I figure if I get one more shot opportunity off taking the course, in my whole life, it was worth my time and effort to take the course.

Offline D-Rock425

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 06:11:12 AM »
I need to sign up.  I shot with Corey Saturday at the northwest mountain challenge in idaho. 

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 08:15:37 AM »
I need to sign up.  I shot with Corey Saturday at the northwest mountain challenge in idaho.

I've been listening to him on a bunch of podcasts and of course thru his University of Elk course videos. He seems like a really cool guy that enjoys sharing what he's learned so people can be better elk hunters.
What was he like in person?
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 05:14:16 PM »
So what is everybody's favorite chapter so far?
Google Earth.

First year hunting the east side so its definitely helped correlate what we've seen on the ground with the cams and scouting thus far, and also helps confirm field observations from my hunting partners previous season.

I'm not sure how well it correlates to the west side being that its such a different set of dynamics involved compared to basically 95% western elk hunting. I've scanned over areas where we've hunted for years and I dunno. Some of the very high elevation areas its adaptive for sure, but lower where your in industrial timberland is kind of a toss up. It would be awesome if he did a coastal specific addition to that module.
RMEF

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal