collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New bear dog  (Read 23171 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: New bear dog
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 03:31:28 PM »
Careful it's addicting!!!  :)  Looking forward to it.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline shootem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 11:09:59 PM »
Great looking pup. Keep us posted on how she progresses. I have never hunted behind hounds but would really love to some day.

Offline Caretaker

• Scout
  • Age 51
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 11:14:53 PM »
Machias, I assume youhave a deal with the state to allow you to use dogs on bear?

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2016, 03:54:20 AM »
Machias, I assume youhave a deal with the state to allow you to use dogs on bear?

Nope, I only hunt Idaho, when I can draw the non-resident houndsmen permit.  But when we move back we are hoping to find a place just across the border and live in Idaho....for just this reason.
Fred Moyer

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 11:03:18 AM »
 Machias, Thanks for posting all the info on the curs. I also never knew much about them.  I had two buddies I used to hunt bear with who both had one cur each(not leopard cur) they ran with their hounds. They seemed to have some good days and some bad days probably would have done better had they not hunted them like hounds. I had an eye opener on hounds this year hunting with a guy who had 8 walkers and a mixed up dog. We struck a bear and I thought it was better than it was I dumped my box and the other guy dumps his. The dogs were not barking much and having a hard time lineing it out. It was just a real cold one I think. He called all his dogs back and him and my son go on up the mountain and strike another one which they tree. It is a small sow that they don't want to shoot so my buddy calls his dogs off the tree and starts walking out(no leashes). Almost immediately the sow jumps when they are maybe 20 yards from the tree. He tells them no dead bear and they want to go but follow him out of the woods.  I got this from my friend and my son told me that's exactly  how it went. I was not there because I was still retrieving one of my dogs who wouldn't give up on the cold one and went forever into some hole. I never thought I even wanted a dog I could call off of good game but this has definitely changed my mind. Anyways I thought I would share that story because it was similar to what you experienced with curs. I am definitely going to re think my training and at least this one guy was able to train his hounds to do it. Sure saves a lot of headaches. I am not trying to contradict what you are saying about curs and with my limited knowledge have heard the same things you said about them just thought it was interesting that I kinda had the same experience this spring.             

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 06:49:40 PM »
I apologize for giving the impression that hounds could not be trained that way, that was not my intention.  I too have seen well behaved hounds, most of the time it is the houndsmen.  I also think a lot of guys either don't try because they were like me and thought it was next to impossible, so they never try or they try and give up because "some" hounds can be hard headed and tough to train.
Fred Moyer

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 06:17:44 AM »
 :tup: have fun with your cur! It's a great looking pup. I didn't think you were saying hounds couldn't be trained that way just that curs are easier to train that way and I have been told that same thing from other hounds men that I respect. I think you are right that the cur is more eager to please and probably a lot less hard headed. All I know is what people have told me

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 08:13:55 AM »
 :tup:

They are not for everyone.  Lots of guys like everything about a hound.  I like certain things about hounds, but found my training and hunting, since switching to curs, is more enjoyable.  :)
Fred Moyer

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2016, 08:37:56 AM »
I was fortunate enough to have the chance to hunt cats over a pack of American Leopard Curs this past winter on a over night snowmobile trip. I was impressed with how they handled vs the hounds we had their as well. they seemed to want to be loved and pet more than the hounds. they are weird lookin critters though :chuckle: and small compared to the blue and red dogs we had their. cool dogs for sure!
-Matt

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2016, 07:49:55 PM »
 :) :tup:
Fred Moyer

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2016, 10:47:54 AM »
I really hope that somehow you end up with a litter of pups... My wife would not be thrilled but that's okay  :chuckle:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline klikboom

• Scout
  • Die Living ... if you have a choice.
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2016, 01:45:38 PM »
I've been looking at Mountain Cur's. I would like to get a dog to hunt with. Could a person run coons / cats / bears with a single cur? Are there any Cur breeders around here?

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2016, 04:03:35 AM »
You can certainly run a single dog on all those animals but it's not advised on lions and bears.  I like at least 2 dogs on lions and at least 3 to 4 on bear.  There are some cur breeders in WA and OR, not sure about Mountain Curs, but I'm pretty sure you could find a breeder not too far away.
Fred Moyer

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2016, 04:04:11 AM »
I really hope that somehow you end up with a litter of pups... My wife would not be thrilled but that's okay  :chuckle:

Be a couple of years, but when I do have a litter you are more than welcome to have one.  :)
Fred Moyer

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2016, 11:43:13 AM »

Be a couple of years, but when I do have a litter you are more than welcome to have one.  :)

:IBCOOL: and in a couple years I will come back and delete this post haha
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]