collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Clean and sober sportsmen.  (Read 35284 times)

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sobriety is the spice of life.
    • Mark Wantola
    • Ripper Family Adventures
Re: Clean and sober sportsmen.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 10:54:39 AM »
Well addiction is hereditary and 10%  of the population is stricken with this affliction. There are a lot of us out there, it's just that some don't want anyone else to know and others like me, dont care if anyone knows. I want to be successful in staying sober this time and the only way that is going to happen is if I surround myself with others that want the same thing. The more people that I spend time with, the more accountable I am. If I would have stayed sober the first time I tried, I would have 11 years. Instead, I didn't do what I was told and now I have 6 months. I hope that I learned from my mistakes and now I hope to help others. We can do it together, I know that I can't do it alone.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not!

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
Hang in there Ripper. It's not easy but it gets easier.

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 03:14:46 PM »
 :tup:  I quit drinking last November, and its a challenge out here to find a liberty buddy that doesn't want to drink.   
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • Mark Wantola
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 04:57:37 AM »
Congrats Seth, I knew you had quit but I wasn't sure how things were going. I have been to the Philippines 4 times but never sober. You'll have to tell what it's like there. Lol I'm looking forward to hunting and fishing with you soon.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 05:17:23 AM »
Good job fellas  :tup:

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 06:24:05 AM »
I quit drinking years ago, I came home one day with an ice cold six pack, drank one and a half, next thing you know I was outside puking my guts out, never drank again, my favorite was crown royal and even that didn't taste good!! I don't miss it one bit, especially when all my buddies tie one on and come morning they look,smell and feel like a big pile of dog flop, and I get the joy of helping them feel worse!! One good thing though Is they always have a sober driver and I am perfectly ok with being that person, I know I will get them when they gotta go safe and sound!!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • Mark Wantola
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 07:43:50 AM »
 :chuckle: I'm with ya Jackmaster, it's always fun to wake up feeling great while the others feel like dog crap! You would think they would learn to take it easy . I was a slow learner so I can't say anything bad about them. To sit here and think about all mornings that I missed in the field and on the water because of drinking. All of the hangovers, all of the puking! I don't Miss's it at all. In fact when I think about drinking today it disgusts me. I know that if I take a drink there will be no fun. There will be no pleasant buzz, All there will be is a race to finish everything I can get my hands on then wake up wondering what happened. Nope, I can't do it anymore. It's a horrible disease that lays there in wait for me to let my guard down then bam! Off and running again. Stay strong my brothers and sisters. Support one another. May the higher power of your understanding bless you today.  I love that line!  :chuckle:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 08:06:56 AM »
I have always said that I go to "Elk Camp" not "Drinking Camp" as I take hunting too serious to get all hammered and try and hunt. I am a social/casual drinker and I do bring a few beers up to camp but it is never my intention to get all sloppy drunk while I'm up hunting. I actually really hate when I see people doing that as it really makes a bad name for hunters. The time for celebration is after you fill your tag not during the hunt.  :twocents:

When I head to camp we generally bring a few of the little airplane bottles that are only opened if we are successful. It is a nice little way to celebrate success but not enough booze to get drunk. Personally, I don't know how guys do it because after getting back to camp well after dark, eating and getting prepped for the next day I am always ready to pass out. Drinks are the last thing on my mind.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 10:45:52 AM »
I know a couple guys, one of them is on here, he is the hardest elk huntn wingnut there is, he can get back to camp, have a few beers or drinks and still be up and ready before most, those types can handle it no sweat, others gotta drink, drink and drink until they are passed out in the bushes :chuckle:, that was me in my younger days.. :chuckle: and when I was in the army, when we made it back for a couple days it was all about getting our drink on :chuckle: what I do know is I don't miss it at all and I commend the guys and gals that can easily control themselves and don't get stupid drunk, for the people that have to battle the urge to not drink keep fighting the the good fight, the urges will go away, the best thing you can do is talk about it, tell someone young of your mistakes because of alcohol or tell anyone else that wants to listen, just don't be a preacher about it, just because we have issues with it and couldn't control doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »
Back when I was in the Navy we figured why waste a perfectly good time off base by being sober.   I may be a tad slower than others but after about 4 years of that I noticed a trend.

We had a friend get so drunk he fell off of a bar stool 3 times.  The third time he couldn't get himself back up.  The other two of us who weren't as bad off decided he was too drunk to drive himself home.  Duh!   We drove up and down the streets trying to find his apartment.  He couldn't tell us the address.  Finally he spotted what looked familiar and the key worked in the lock.   I headed home and in the middle of a toll bridge decided I needed to puke and my choice was barf in my car or get out and lean over the bridge.  My preference was the bridge but I knew that just beyond the toll booths was the state police barracks.  Nothing good would come of that.   As I continued home I decided "this" was getting old and maybe I should quit.

Years later I realized everytime we went out the driver, whoever he was, was probably driving over the limits.    It's amazing how poor judgement youngsters have and still consider it normal.

I don't mind people drinking as long as they keep it social.  I may have one or two, but two is my limit.   Why waste good booze getting drunk when bad booze will do the same thing.    I don't have any friends who choose to drink more than me.  No need for drunks.

Another time on the night before a fishing trip a friend drove out to meet us.  He walked to the door and we wondered where his car was.  The next morning he noticed it was missing and said he thought he got stuck in a corn field.   We drove the surrounding farm roads until we spotted a car out in the middle of a field.  He'd knocked the tire bead loose on the rim.

I don't think the Navy would tolerate stuff like that these days.

Offline seth30

• Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 01:49:34 PM »
Congrats Seth, I knew you had quit but I wasn't sure how things were going. I have been to the Philippines 4 times but never sober. You'll have to tell what it's like there. Lol I'm looking forward to hunting and fishing with you soon.
  Ports are different being sober :chuckle:  Spent a lot less on things I did not need.   :tup: looking forward to getting back to the mainland and enjoying some quality time with friends and family!
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • Mark Wantola
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2016, 06:24:47 PM »
Hello everyone, I just home from a trip to Banks lake with the family. I have a bunch of PM's that I need to go through and I will respond to each one asap. I just want everyone to know that this thread is not just for me. Anyone who wants to post can do so without being accused of thread jacking. If anyone wants to get together to hunt, shoot, fish, hike, anything out doors related and clean and sober related, feel free to reach out and find those people that want the same thing you do. Stay true to yourselves my friends, one day at a time.

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • Mark Wantola
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »
My wife and I had a nice day on the water yesterday. It was overcast and a little !misty at times but no real rain or wind.  I still managed to get sunburned on my head though. We dropped 4 crab pots then trolley around the Tulalip Bubble for a few hours. No hits and I didn't see any boated. Went and picked up our pots after a 3 hour soak, and your 8 nice keepers. Some were over 7", very nice. Called up a couple of friends and had a cookout/crab boil. A great day to be alive and sober. I hope you all had a good and safe weekend.

Offline Dead-Eye

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2016, 03:51:04 PM »
Ripper,

There are those of us out here that don't drink. I can't stand the stuff. I only just dropped into the thread today, so I didn't see it until now.

I'm not too fond of being in a group where the drinking is heavy at night, especially when they get falling down drunk. I guess it's because their wives would kill them for doing that at home; that's all I can figure. I think the scariest time was when we were out in a boat, and the guy driving was pretty wasted and still drinking, and wasn't looking where he was going and almost drove into another boat. I had a closer call than that on an airplane once, but it wasn't booze-related; a plane just cut across our nose so close and so fast we didn't have time to be scared until after the other guy was a half-mile past us. The boat ride was a long, drawn-out oh-crap-I'm-gonna-die trip around the lake. The other guys had a few beers, but even they agreed when we relieved him of driver duty so we could all get home alive.

So, count me in! It would be great to get to know some other guys who don't think heavy-duty partying goes with outdoor recreation.

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • Mark Wantola
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2016, 09:52:31 AM »
Some people can handle booze and some of us can't. I'm one who couldn't, and didn't have the ability to know when to stop. Thanks for dropping in Dead eye.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]