collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: moving to ft Lewis (tacoma) early jul excited for hunting, where should i begin?  (Read 7590 times)

Offline andr3wxmma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
A little backstory on myself, I'm from Vermont and have whitetail hunted my whole life. I joined the army at 18 and have been in Hawaii since then. Back home hunting was a completely different from everything I've read about the elk, bear, and blacktail hunting in WA. I've never used or seen someone use a call or spotting scope in my life. The farthest you normally shoot here is 100yrds or a lot less. We have always been able to just drag the deer out to the nearest atv trail and take care of butchering it at home.

Right now I have a charter arms 30-06, 50cal muzzleloader, and plan on buying a new bow when I get to WA. I'd like to take advantage of hunting all the new big game opportunities while in Wa, from what I've read I'm limited to hunting to general seasons until next year when I can enter raffles.

Being in the military presents it own challenges, Busy schedule, barracks living will present challenges with weapon storage(I'm thinking storage locker with safe in it?) and what to do with meat from kills. (Any suggestions)

I have no clue where to begin preparing.
What are some pieces of gear I should look into buying?
Do you have any suggested reading or videos to watch?
How far should I plan on having to shoot? will my current rifle be sufficient or should I look to upgrade?
Where should I start scouting / getting familiar with the terrain? If it I have a better chance of success I don't mind driving somewhere 2-3 hrs away and camping there.

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Welcome to Washington . Make sure your muzzle loader is northwest legal , no 209 ignition, no scope, and exposed breech.

As far as rifles go the 30-06 you have is all you'll ever need in this state. You probably have all the other gear you'd need . Knife ,binoculars, pack, etc....

You can go on YouTube and subscribe to RandyNewbergHunter. He does a pretty good job of explaining how to get started out west.
Trophy blacktail tactics is a good book for deer. Might want to download the regulations pamphlet on www.wdfw.wa.gov and read it front to back and then read it again. I'm guessing the laws here will be different from what you're accustomed to.
As far as shooting distance just shoot as far as you're comfortable. I'd suggest practice out to 300 yards. But in reality if you're hunting blacktail the majority of the shots are very close. <50 most of the time.
Get a state map, look on google earth and download the onxmaps app to your phone. Start looking at pieces of public land within what you are willing to travel. When you get a chance go scout those pieces. Find the one you like and learn it.
Good luck to you this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dilligaf

Offline Old Dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
Well, first thanks for your service.  :tup:  Welcome to the site.  :hello:  You will find a lot of good info here, just stay away from the bigfoot thread!  :yike: 

The first thing to do after you get settled at JBLM is to visit the Adventure Center.  They will have a lot of good info there.  There is some really good blacktail hunting, but I think it is limited to archery.  Not sure on that one.  There is also good black bear hunting, but it's all boot hunting, and the cover is pretty thick.  There have been a couple of maulings in the last two years.  :yike:  There are elk on the base, but they are not as numerous as the deer and bear.

There's nothing wrong with your rifle for hunting in WA.  Most shots in Western WA are around 100 yds.  In Eastern WA the ranges are longer, but if you have a decent scope your .06 will handle it.  If your muzzleloader is an in-line it can not use a 209 ignition system, and the ignition area has to be exposed to the elements.  It's a WA., OR., and ID. thing.  Most of the mfg. make guns specifically for the NW.  If it's a flinter or caplock you're good to go. 

For deer or elk you have to choose your weapon, and only hunt in the seasons specific to that weapon.  You may choose to hunt deer with one weapon and elk with another.  You are also only allowed one deer and one elk per season.  With that in mind you could hold off on the bow this season, and go modern firearm or muzzleloader. 

Western WA is wet.  Get some good gore tex, and some wool.  Eastern Wa can be hot and dry or very cold. 

Once again JBLM has some really good deer hunting, but if you want to get away from work there is some state ground around Alder Lake that is only an hour away.  It holds elk, deer, bear, cougar, bobcat, coyote, ducks, geese, and grouse, and various other small critters.  It not east pickings, but they are there.

That should get you started.  :)
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
A lot of good information in what the first 2 posts said. JBLM is broken down into a bunch of different training areas. There is also the big square area where all the ranges are. That is always off limits. This will give you an idea of day to day access.-
http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/dptms/training/range/range.htm
Go to the bottom of the page and click on area access allocations.The NW Adventure Center is on North Fort (it'll make sense when you get here). I recommend you go to Range Control first and get a range access pass so you can scout the areas (when they're open). After you do it awhile it'll make sense. There are only a couple of problems. Sometimes they will close the training area you want to hunt in for a week or longer. Many areas are archery only. Most that aren't are down by the Nisqually Reservation and I know from scouting they are getting hit hard by poachers. There are blacktail deer, black bear, and a few elk. The good news for you is most of the time your shots will be under a hundred yards in most of that area. In the case of the maulings 2 of the maulings I know of was the same guy with his dog. They killed a bear in that area to try to solve that problem. I think they shouldve killed the dog instead.
If you want to go after the species you are familiar with, there are whitetail in this state. While Randy Newberg doesn't talk about Washington, his videos are great and worth watching. If you don't have one, buy yourself a little 4wd truck when you get here and start exploring the mountains. Post more than one post on this forum and the guys will start talking to you and helping you out. I have gotten tons of help and information and even a few priceless hints. Anyway, send me a private message when you get here if you want. I'm gone a lot but I'll respond when I can. Good luck.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:16:42 PM by Eric M »

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
Alright thanks everyone for all of the advice. I just got here and will start scouting immediately. I will try alder lake because I like the ideal of all my species being in the same general area learning multiple areas as well as I'd like in such a short time before the season doesn't sound likely. 

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
If your going to hunt the base or anywhere else around jblm then purchase Boyd Iverson "blackmail trophy  tactics 2"
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
If your going to hunt the base or anywhere else around jblm then purchase Boyd Iverson "blackmail trophy  tactics 2"
I was looking for it today at cabelas but couldn't find it. I guess I'll order it.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Amazon would be easiest or possibly sportco in fife.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
I was looking for it today at cabelas but couldn't find it. I guess I'll order it.
Scott Haugen's Trophy Blacktails sells at Cabelas it's also worth reading.

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
Also go to the NW Adventure center on North Fort they will have all the info on base hunting. Then see the gus at the skeet range, good folks and a lot of knoledge on how answere to hunt.
Thanks for your service! From an old SGT
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
Also go to the NW Adventure center on North Fort they will have all the info on base hunting. Then see the gus at the skeet range, good folks and a lot of knoledge on how answere to hunt.
Thanks for your service! From an old SGT
I ran into a guy from the skeet range when buying my licence at the adventure center. He offered some good advice and pointed me in the right direction.

Offline tasmanianjumper

• Pilgrim
  • Urban Roughneck
I am registered on at JBLM. I am interested in Coyote, Deer, Elk, and Bear. Elk can be really hit or miss. Some Deer. Some Bear. You need to Bowhunt. JBLM typically does not allow "rifle" most days.

If you want to go out sometime, let me know.
That's a horrible idea.

What time do you want to meet up?

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
Yeah I keep hearing to hunt bow on base. I may wait to next year to archery hunt though.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
Keep applying for out of state special permits
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
Welcome to the state and site, and thank you for your service.  The only thing I have to add is on rain gear.  Your GI set should suffice, and you'll want decent wet weather boots.

If you plan on hunting State land, be aware of the Discover Pass requirement.  Otherwise, a lot of the timber company land is gated and access is by paid permit only.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
You're moving to the "wrong" side of the state.  Hunt the "right" side...

Whitetail hunting is better and I would say much easier then it is in Vermont.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Welcome to HuntWa and thanks for serving. You're on the right track getting a bow and planning to use it next year. It'll give you plenty of time to become proficient. Start a relationship with a pro shop by getting it there. Most will match online pricing and if something goes wrong, they'll take care of you in a hurry.

If you plan to hunt elk, make sure you go with someone who's done it. I grew up hunting NH whitetails, too. The first time you walk up to a downed elk is a huge wake-up call. Good meat takes good field processing. There are lots of videos on bloodless or gutless quartering. Watch the one done by Elk 101. Also, the territory they stay in is rugged. I know you said you're in the Army, so you'll need to work hard to get into shape!  :chuckle: (coming from an old, very out-of-shape Army guy). Yes, I'm a taunter.

Best of luck. This is a great forum and our state has lots of wildlife which needs killing! Have fun. If you're ever down to Vancouver, WA or Portland, send me a PM and we'll do some curls, mostly of the IPA variety.
PMan
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
You're moving to the "wrong" side of the state.  Hunt the "right" side...

Whitetail hunting is better and I would say much easier then it is in Vermont.
ifor I was able to get out to the dry side often enough to scout it id consider hunting over there but idk if that'll be possible this year. I think im work with weekenda and the occasional 4 day only.

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
Welcome to HuntWa and thanks for serving. You're on the right track getting a bow and planning to use it next year. It'll give you plenty of time to become proficient. Start a relationship with a pro shop by getting it there. Most will match online pricing and if something goes wrong, they'll take care of you in a hurry.

If you plan to hunt elk, make sure you go with someone who's done it. I grew up hunting NH whitetails, too. The first time you walk up to a downed elk is a huge wake-up call. Good meat takes good field processing. There are lots of videos on bloodless or gutless quartering. Watch the one done by Elk 101. Also, the territory they stay in is rugged. I know you said you're in the Army, so you'll need to work hard to get into shape!  :chuckle: (coming from an old, very out-of-shape Army guy). Yes, I'm a taunter.

Best of luck. This is a great forum and our state has lots of wildlife which needs killing! Have fun. If you're ever down to Vancouver, WA or Portland, send me a PM and we'll do some curls, mostly of the IPA variety.
PMan
Sadly I don't know any hunters or elk hunter out here yet. I may have to rely on what I can learn before the season and ill be making a couple trips to get one out if I get lucky. If im ever down that way ill hit you up.

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
Well, first thanks for your service.  :tup:  Welcome to the site.  :hello:  You will find a lot of good info here, just stay away from the bigfoot thread!  :yike: 

The first thing to do after you get settled at JBLM is to visit the Adventure Center.  They will have a lot of good info there.  There is some really good blacktail hunting, but I think it is limited to archery.  Not sure on that one.  There is also good black bear hunting, but it's all boot hunting, and the cover is pretty thick.  There have been a couple of maulings in the last two years.  :yike:  There are elk on the base, but they are not as numerous as the deer and bear.

There's nothing wrong with your rifle for hunting in WA.  Most shots in Western WA are around 100 yds.  In Eastern WA the ranges are longer, but if you have a decent scope your .06 will handle it.  If your muzzleloader is an in-line it can not use a 209 ignition system, and the ignition area has to be exposed to the elements.  It's a WA., OR., and ID. thing.  Most of the mfg. make guns specifically for the NW.  If it's a flinter or caplock you're good to go. 

For deer or elk you have to choose your weapon, and only hunt in the seasons specific to that weapon.  You may choose to hunt deer with one weapon and elk with another.  You are also only allowed one deer and one elk per season.  With that in mind you could hold off on the bow this season, and go modern firearm or muzzleloader. 

Western WA is wet.  Get some good gore tex, and some wool.  Eastern Wa can be hot and dry or very cold. 

Once again JBLM has some really good deer hunting, but if you want to get away from work there is some state ground around Alder Lake that is only an hour away.  It holds elk, deer, bear, cougar, bobcat, coyote, ducks, geese, and grouse, and various other small critters.  It not east pickings, but they are there.

That should get you started.  :)
is the public land you were talking about skookumchuck (I think I spelled it right). I've heard it gets pretty crazy during modern but I don't mind getting deep in the woods earlier than everyone else.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal