collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 Point Restriction  (Read 12407 times)

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
3 Point Restriction
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:52:58 PM »
I'm curious to see how many of you hunters that ate tag soup would have harvested a buck this past season if there was no 3 point restriction?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
Re: 3 Point Restriction
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:19:19 PM »
Yes....
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:33:01 PM »
But what about the guys who did fill their tags? Instead of taking a mature buck they may have taken the first spike they had a chance at. Leaving more mature bucks to breed the does. There are more young bucks in the population and therefore they are more expendable than the older bucks.

Offline firecrotch

• Longhunter
  • Team Deadfowl
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:38:50 PM »
it depends on the area... if i was on our property next to the snake river there would be a larger percentage of tag soup with all the monster 2 points out there...

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:46:14 PM »
But what about the guys who did fill their tags? Instead of taking a mature buck they may have taken the first spike they had a chance at. Leaving more mature bucks to breed the does. There are more young bucks in the population and therefore they are more expendable than the older bucks.

Thats for another poll, purhaps you would like to post one of your own? I am interested to see out of the members on this site how many would have harvested a deer without the restriction.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Chris_D.

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
yupp me and robodad coulda got a spike and a 2pt!!!  :bash: but we didnt eat tag soup tho well robodad did but i got mine
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:48:13 PM by Chris_D. »
Never eat yellow snow

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:08:24 PM »
wouldnt have shot them but ya i could've

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 10:19:02 PM »

Thats for another poll, purhaps you would like to post one of your own?

No I wouldn't. A poll on here won't prove anything. I'll just keep on believing what the wildlife biologists have to say on this subject.

Offline mossback91

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 10:42:51 PM »
heck ya on this one particular 2 point that is around the 23-24 inch wide range with real good mass!! would not have killed the small spikes and two points I saw though.....

Offline mossback91

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 10:43:53 PM »
Id also liek to add that I wouldnt have eaten tag soup if I could of shot straight :bash:

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 03:30:52 PM »
I didn't have a chance. But I only got 2 days of mule deer hunting in this year! :'( :'( :'( :bash: :bash: :bash:. But during elk season I saw a 2 small 2 points and a BIG 3.

Offline SpokaneSlayer

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »
I could have shot a nice forky if there wasn't a 3 point min.  I glassed that buck hard making sure there wasn't another point I wasn't seeing.  And before I possibly get flogged, this would have been my first deer.  I'm not picky until I get one on the ground.

"Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast!" - Machine Head

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 03:02:40 PM »
Yup....

Offline alanger

• Yar ankle biter
  • Sourdough
  • Team super bait
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »
saw quite a few nice 2 points this year. big wide ones.
~Ankle biter out~

Team super bait!     Gamakatsu     ~Ugly Stick~
Abu Garcia  'Bone Collector'   -Bowtech-  <Berkley fishing>
Cannon~DigiTroll     FLW Outdoors     ~Cabela's~

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 03:24:30 PM »
I filled my tag with a nice 3 point on opening day but my son and wife ate tag soup this year. The wife missed a 3 point on the move shortly after i got mine. It went over the hill and another hunter shot it.

We seen 3 spikes and 4-2 points in our 5 days of mule deer hunting this year.

My daughter came home with her Doe.

Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Gobble Gobble

• Proud Daddy & Disabled Veteran
  • Sourdough
  • B.O.H.I.C.A.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 03:29:48 PM »
I could have taken a doe that ran up to within 50 feet of me and the truck if I had known how to identify from the front the difference between a white tail and mulie. I know now the difference and next year I won't be eating tag.
God Bless,
Scott

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 03:31:14 PM »
I would have shot a two point with eye guards if it wasn't for the 3-point rule........the eye guards were likely long enough to make it a legal buck but I didn't want to chance it.  I ended up shooting a very nice 4X4 with eye guards.....nice mature buck.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 03:57:36 PM »
i could have shot more than a couple 2 points this year, both whitetails and mule deer, but i would not have shot even if i could have...i didn't see that option on the poll, and i didn't see any big 2 points either...which i guess i may have killed if it was big enough and mature and not going to be anything better next year aside from maybe a bigger 2 point.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 05:11:05 PM »
last 2 years I have seen only 2 3pt mulies....but have seen over 50 spikes or forks....both 3pts were on private lands that were posted.  I was good....one was 30 feet from the fence.
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 04:26:16 PM »
A poll on here won't prove anything. I'll just keep on believing what the wildlife biologists have to say on this subject.

Agreed, it won't prove anything but to this point there have been 63 people post and 40 more bucks would have been harvested without the restriction, what impact would that have put on 2009? :dunno:

Offline Buckshot Bill

• Scout
  • Just a YARnaby
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »
Woulda got a nice big 2pt last year but tag soup for me.  I kept hearing from locals around the winthrop area that there seems to be quite a few nice 2pts running around year after year and they think they are the same and won't be anything else but 2pt and that they are breading 2 pts.  Don't know how true that holds that genetics get stuck like that but if it is true then maybe the WDFW needs to think about letting some get harvested. :twocents:

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »
My son and I both filled this year, his was a 3X5 (counting eyeguards) on opening day, and mine a 5x5 (also counting eyeguards)on Wednesday, but we saw numerous spikes and 2x2s before we harvested.  I probably saw 20 sub-legal bucks before I tagged mine.  As a few people on this thread have said, there are some STUD 2x2 mulies out there...
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 06:34:50 AM »
A poll on here won't prove anything. I'll just keep on believing what the wildlife biologists have to say on this subject.

Agreed, it won't prove anything but to this point there have been 63 people post and 40 more bucks would have been harvested without the restriction, what impact would that have put on 2009? :dunno:

True, but I think you would also have to agree that most of the Mulies that are harvested in this state (not necessarily by this site) are 2 1/2 year old small 3's and fours?  Those  bucks had genetics to be something.  And how many of those guys walked by 4,5,6 heck even 8 year old big old Forky's that they would have killed and never would have kept looking for the "just legal" 3 point that might have actually grown into something.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline mossback91

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 12:48:58 PM »

True, but I think you would also have to agree that most of the Mulies that are harvested in this state (not necessarily by this site) are 2 1/2 year old small 3's and fours?  Those  bucks had genetics to be something.  And how many of those guys walked by 4,5,6 heck even 8 year old big old Forky's that they would have killed and never would have kept looking for the "just legal" 3 point that might have actually grown into something.

I agree........that would have happened this year when i took my roommate out on his first deer hunt......we jumped a very mature 2 point that was over 20 wide and just as tall with a very grey face and big body but instead of him being able to shoot that big mature buck we had to keep on going down the canyon and he shot a small young 3 point that was probably only 2 1/2 years old.......but how would you regulate a hunting season by telling everyone to kill a deer over 4 years of age??

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 04:37:06 PM »

I agree........that would have happened this year when i took my roommate out on his first deer hunt......we jumped a very mature 2 point that was over 20 wide and just as tall with a very grey face and big body but instead of him being able to shoot that big mature buck we had to keep on going down the canyon and he shot a small young 3 point that was probably only 2 1/2 years old.......but how would you regulate a hunting season by telling everyone to kill a deer over 4 years of age??

Well to be honest I think things may get worse before they get better.  But if you look at the way they managed the elk herd by only killing the younger animals in this state, look what the Blues have turned into.  3 guys on this site with 370 or better bulls with a bow, and I have heard that there was a 3 bulls killed in WA this year that scored over 400".  Make the mule deer season, 2 points or less on one side for 5 years and see what happens.  Heck it can't be any worse than it is now. :twocents:

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 04:42:16 PM »
most of the Mulies that are harvested in this state (not necessarily by this site) are 2 1/2 year old small 3's and fours?

No argument here Goldtip. Its a fact that since the point restriction was implemented there are a lot of those mature 2 points running around, that is more than likely the reason F&W are going to have a permit to target them the next few seasons. My point was that the buck/doe ratio is higher with the restriction and just because they lift the restriction doesn't mean that only two points with inferior genes are going to be the two points harvested, two points with the 4 point genome will be harvested as well but in the long run MORE bucks will be harvested overall, leaving the buck/doe ratio lower than optimum.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:40:08 AM by huntnphool »

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 04:48:07 PM »
look what the Blues have turned into.

That is a direct result of limiting the number of mature bulls that can be harvested, not because of a spike restriction. If you limited the Entiat, Swakane etc to only a few permits and eliminated branch antler bucks from being harvested during general or late you would have the same results in a few years. How many branched tags are given out in those Blues units each year? :dunno: try giving the exact same amount for bucks in the "Dream Units" and see what happens in 10 years.

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 05:00:58 PM »
I didn't hunt deer in Washington this year, but normally do.  I would like to see this debate continue, because I am learning alot.  I am no biologist, but I know that the WDFW will have implements some new ideas to counter the increasing presence of Wolves in WA, which I am sure will do nothing but continue to grow.  I have a feeling that at some point in my lifetime we will see a primarily permit only operation for Mule Deer based on the population of hunters interested in pursuing Mule Deer. 

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 05:12:40 PM »
I would like to see this debate continue,

Lets not forget that this IS just a debate and nothing more. I am simply posting my point of view and respect all the opinions everyone else decides to post up here. I understand my views are different from everyone elses, I post my points according to what I see personally, knowing I am out there more than probably 90% of the hunters on here. My points should be treated like a buffet, take what you want and leave what you dont, either way, like everyone else, I am entitled to post my views :twocents:

Offline mossback91

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 05:24:39 PM »
My points should be treated like a buffet, take what you want and leave what you dont,

I like that comment hahah  :chuckle:

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »
All opinions should be treated like a buffet - well stated, as I think many folks take the comments on hear far too personally

I just think that the WDFW methodology needs to change for Deer in general, but I don't know the right answer.  I spend a lot of time out, not as much as Phool based on what I see him post in the way of photography all year round, but I do spend about 15-30 actual days hunting from season to season.  Every year I try and spend more time in the off season scouting and hiking, but find it hard to balance with family. (Definition of Balance is somehow different in my wife's opinion)   I grew up on the west side, and I remember 15 years ago, when we would see 10-20 blacktail on opening day of deer season.  You could see hundreds of blacktail in the summer in a single day, now it seems like the black tail have turned into ghosts.  I don't know why - over harvest, disease, poaching, predators, added pressure, etc, but something needs to change.  The whitetail population seems to be fairly strong, but the Mule Deer population is questionable from area to area.  I also think there has been a building interest in Mule Deer over the last 5 - 10 years.  Or maybe I have just been exposed to the added interest in the last few y ears.
I have been spending more time in Idaho & Montana over the last 5 years, and I can see that trend continuing for me, but I find myself running into Wolf predation issues in the area of Idaho I enjoyed hunting.  Trying new areas in Idaho to try and get away from Wolves next year.  

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 07:06:32 PM »
most of the Mulies that are harvested in this state (not necessarily by this site) are 2 1/2 year old small 3's and fours?

No argument here Goldtip. Its a fact that since the point restriction was implemented there are a lot of those mature 2 points running around, that is more than likely the reason F&W are going to have a permit to target them the next few seasons. My point was that the buck/doe ratio is higher with the restriction and just because they lift the restriction doesn't mean that only two points with inferior genes are going to be the two points harvested, two points with the 4 point genome will be harvested as well but in the long run MORE bucks overall will be harvested overall, leaving the buck/doe ratio lower than optimum.

Great point Phool.  I for one would like to see the buck/doe ratios change...
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 07:22:33 PM »
If they went to permit only in some of the more open country units and dropped the 3-point restriction, you would have a healthier deer herd.  Point restriction is necessary when it is general OTC tags.  If WDFW went with 2-point max then the deer herds would be healthier, but how many tags would they sell?  At least with elk you get a lot of meat w/ a spike.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 07:27:28 PM »

That is a direct result of limiting the number of mature bulls that can be harvested, not because of a spike restriction. If you limited the Entiat, Swakane etc to only a few permits and eliminated branch antler bucks from being harvested during general or late you would have the same results in a few years. How many branched tags are given out in those Blues units each year? :dunno: try giving the exact same amount for bucks in the "Dream Units" and see what happens in 10 years.

I agree completely to a certain degree.  My feeling would be to limit completely the number of branch bucks taken in certain area's, such as the Roosevelt, no bucks taken at all with greater than 2 points on on side, as in none. Do that for 3 years to weed out the BIG forky's and then lower it for 3-5 years to bucks with no more than one point on one side.  Only young and inferior (antlered) bucks to be harvested.  Yes, for a time there would be a great number of bucks harvested, without doubt, but I believe it would turn around within 6-8 years to where the genetics would be so good, many bucks are never spikes, their first year they are 2 and 3 points as 1 1/2 year old deer.  Then start to give out some branch antlered permits.  

Much like what they see with the elk in the blues.  Believe me, the years I've hunted the blues you see way too many elk with very few spikes to believe that all spikes are already dead, they simply never grew spike horns.  I think we would see the same thing with the Mule deer.  Also, for the first 2 years, actually increase the number of doe permits for that area, this would help keep the buck doe ratio in check.  Hell, we gotta try something, because what I am seeing is not working.

Offline Ricochet

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »
Oregon tried that "three point or better' rule many years ago in  specific units.  This led to most bucks being killed as soon as they reached that barely legal size and a lot of big 2X2's either being shot and left, or surviving to breed.  It eventually caused a drop in trophy quality, not exactly the goal!  The failure of the three point rule to produce the trophy hunting desired brought us to where we are now, all mule deer hunting except archery by permit only.   That management method has also failed due to the ban on hunting cougars with hounds that has resulted in a large increase in cougar numbers and the inability of the Game Commission to realise that managing mule deer for a buck to doe ratio of 10/100 is never going to provide decent hunting.  Wyoming manages its mule deer for a ratio of 35/100 with 45/100 being the target in trophy areas.  Oregon "trophy" areas are targeted at 25/100.  So I guess you can see why Wyoming has so much better hunting and trophy quality than we do.    
It is not my duty to validate your delusions.

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2009, 07:54:43 PM »
It does seem like there were more deer around when you could shoot 2 points in our areas. However it wasnt that great when you could shoot spikes also. I feel that these units should be 2 point or better and also draw only for the mule deer units.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2009, 10:06:09 PM »

I agree completely to a certain degree.  My feeling would be to limit completely the number of branch bucks taken in certain area's, such as the Roosevelt, no bucks taken at all with greater than 2 points on on side, as in none. Do that for 3 years to weed out the BIG forky's and then lower it for 3-5 years to bucks with no more than one point on one side.  Only young and inferior (antlered) bucks to be harvested.  Yes, for a time there would be a great number of bucks harvested, without doubt, but I believe it would turn around within 6-8 years to where the genetics would be so good, many bucks are never spikes, their first year they are 2 and 3 points as 1 1/2 year old deer.  Then start to give out some branch antlered permits.  

Much like what they see with the elk in the blues.  Believe me, the years I've hunted the blues you see way too many elk with very few spikes to believe that all spikes are already dead, they simply never grew spike horns.  I think we would see the same thing with the Mule deer.  Also, for the first 2 years, actually increase the number of doe permits for that area, this would help keep the buck doe ratio in check.  Hell, we gotta try something, because what I am seeing is not working.

This is news to me Goldtip.  I had always been told 2 things that I guess I took as gospel, but maybe they're wives' tales...;

1.  A 1 1/2 year old bull elk is ALWAYS a spike (unless he's got a sticker or some other wierd occurance).

2.  Spike deer are genetically inferior animals that will never reach good trophy potential (I have heard this about whitetails, but always assumed it applied to muleys also).

I never checked any of this with game biologists, and I heard this so early in my hunting career, that I don't even remember who told me.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 12:09:38 PM »
a buck to doe ratio of 10/100 is never going to provide decent hunting.  Wyoming manages its mule deer for a ratio of 35/100 with 45/100 being the target in trophy areas.  Oregon "trophy" areas are targeted at 25/100.

okay so doesn't it stand to reason that if you have a 20/100 buck/doe ratio, and you remove all antler restrictions, allowing the harvest of ANY buck, that the buck/doe ratio will drop below 20/100? This thead clearly shows that without the restriction a lot more would have hit the ground.

If they went to permit only in some of the more open country units and dropped the 3-point restriction, you would have a healthier deer herd.

This would only work if the amount of permits were limited to about 10 per unit for the whole season, not per method. :twocents:

You know one other very important factor that gets overlooked by most is that the general season used to be several weeks long, limiting it to 8-10 days plays a huge role in the harvest as well. To make it easy lets just use 1000 as the number. When 1000 hunters go hunting over a 21 day season they are spread out in lower numbers per weekend allowing for more escapement. When you cut the season down to two weekends you are forcing the hunters to all hit the woods at the same time, leaving little room for escapement. Of course I'm talking about the general hunt here.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 12:48:36 PM by huntnphool »

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »

This is news to me Goldtip.  I had always been told 2 things that I guess I took as gospel, but maybe they're wives' tales...;

1.  A 1 1/2 year old bull elk is ALWAYS a spike (unless he's got a sticker or some other wierd occurance).

2.  Spike deer are genetically inferior animals that will never reach good trophy potential (I have heard this about whitetails, but always assumed it applied to muleys also).

I never checked any of this with game biologists, and I heard this so early in my hunting career, that I don't even remember who told me.

Sorry, but yeah, both of those are wives tales.  I can't quote references specifically, but I have read multiple articles and studies which prove spike bucks are not always inferior bucks.  As well as several articles where biologists have been quoted showing that when managed the way the blues are being managed, many 1 1/2 year old elk are 2 and 3 points.  There was an article in Outdoor life probably 10-15 years ago regarding a bull here in Washington that biologists stated started his horn growth as a 2x3 and at 2 1/2 years old was was a 5x5 that would score in the 280 range.  At 3 1/2 he was a 340" bull!  It could work, whether it will or not is hard to say.

Offline gasman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 01:51:06 PM »
If you all remember, most of the state was any buck at one time. Then we had a devistating winter kill and that is when the antler restriction came in to play for both deer and elk.

The point restriction was originaly a 5 year plan to rebuild the herds. After the 5 years were up the WDFW came to the conclusion that if they kift the restictions they will lose revenue. They then decited to keep the restrictions in place, going against the recomondations of the states own wildlife biologists. I had a conversation on wit this with one of the state biologist when the 5 year plan was coming to an end. He informed me the state was going to keep the restriction and use the excuse of all the hunters in the state would flock to the Yakima area if and kill all the big bulls if restrictios were lifted.

The deer and elk numbers were at one time equal to and in some places greater than they were before the winter kill (i can not rember the year), but i do not know if that is the current case.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal