collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My Brothers Bull - Elk season 2016  (Read 285209 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
My Brothers Bull - Elk season 2016
« on: July 14, 2016, 09:26:08 PM »
Since the time we were little, playing hunting on the hill by our house, my big brother was always obsessed with big bull elk!  I can't tell you how many times I have been shot with a red ryder bb gun pretending to be a bugling 6pt!  Cut outs from bugle magazines covered the walls of his room, and many hours of his young life were spent sifting through books and magazines, learning the ways of the wapati.

As many of you know, Aaron was killed in action on the 23rd of April, 2013 in Logar Province Afghanistan.  Known as Colockumelk to those on this forum.  He was a very positive, active member of this community.

As some of you know, Aaron dreamed of one thing.  He wanted to hunt loud mouth, fire breathing, stinky, and muddy bull elk.  With multiple combat tours, and never ending training, Aaron missed many of hunting seasons.  When he could make it home for some hunting, he chose to come back to Washington and hunt with family, rather than pursue out of state adventures, despite my pleading to do so.  Despite his faithful dedication to applying for his quality bull permits, he was never able to draw.  Killing a mature bull elk was the one dream he was never able to accomplish. 

Fast forward three years and here we are.  Those of you who know me, know that I am a bit obsessed with Mule deer.  Elk hunting is something you do to fill the freezer and fill the few weekends between deer tags :chuckle:  Don't get me wrong, I do love to call elk, and shoot arrows through them, but deer are what really trip my trigger.  I told myself after Aaron was killed though that when I drew a bull tag again, that I would give it everything I had and kill the bull of his dreams.....or die trying!

It may sound weird, but I knew I was going to draw this year.  Multiple folks can confirm that I called it even.  I can't count the dreams I had this spring about it.  So when I checked my results and saw that beautiful "selected" by my quality bull I wasn't surprised, but it felt like a weight being lifted off of my shoulders.

As soon as I saw "selected", preperation began.  My focus for this hunt is unlike anything I have experienced.  Motivated doesn't even begin to describe it!  Scouting, conditioning, shooting, upgrading gear, etc.  This is the focus of this thread.  I want to share this whole journey with you, from the beginning.  I'm going steep and deep!  Where the air starts to thin, where the big bulls get whooped by the bigger bulls!  We are gonna live with them, and stay in them, until we triumph, and fulfill the dream that Aaron so desperately wanted to fulfill.  The Getsum crew is in full effect and are rallying to the cause!  So come along and lets go elk hunting  :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
Re: My Brothers Bull - Elk season 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 09:35:35 PM »
First order of business was to get the bow tuned up and shooting straight.  For those of you that don't know, I am shooting Aaron's Hoyt Alphama 32.  Aaron bought this bow brand new in 2009 as a present to himself after he commissioned as an officer in the United States Army.  He had shot hand me downs for multiple years, as he was a poor college student with a family.  He was so proud of this bow!  It was his most prized posession!  After he was killed, I made a promise to him and to myself that his bow would never see the shelf in the closet, or the back of the gun safe.  As long as there is breath in me, his hoyt will always go hunting.

I took it over to Denton at Rock Creek Archery for new strings and some tlc.  The man does amazing work and she is shooting as straight and as smooth as ever  :IBCOOL:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 09:37:07 PM »
Awesome Tribute!  I wish you the best, and will enjoy cheering you on! 

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 09:46:36 PM »
Awesome motivation! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to tagging along.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 09:51:45 PM »
I guarantee  you I will do everything I can to assist you in your pursuit  of Aarons dream. I often count  my blessing of friendship that he brought  through his service . I'd  give it all up I a second for you to climb that hill with him . No doubt in my mind he is looking down and bragging about his little brother and all you have done in his honor . 
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline TommyH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 09:55:39 PM »
 :tup: :tup: :tup:
Looking forward to following this thread. No doubts that you will give 100% to make this special hunt one to remember. 

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 09:58:26 PM »
Key factor this season will be conditioning so I have the ability to hunt where I am wanting to, but be able to endure the 3 or 4 trips if I am triumphant.   I decided to try something different this season and have solicited a few friends to join in.  Along with my normal cardio, core, legs regiment,  we have started doing Backpack Thursdays at the football stadium at Selah High School.  It's a mix of weighted pack work on the bleachers, interval work with a mix of core, sprints, lunges, squats, and pushups for the younger guys who don't have a thrashed shoulder :bash:   Always finish with weighted hill sprints :yike:  Big thanks to Trevor and Mike for sticking with me for our weekly suck fest!  Standing invite for anyone who wants to join.  7pm at the selah high school, every thursday.  All you need is a pack with 30+ pounds.  I've been running a 49lb bag of gravel and a couple nalgenes. Not sure what the other guys are running for weight, but I'm sure they will chime in.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 10:09:41 PM »
I guarantee  you I will do everything I can to assist you in your pursuit  of Aarons dream. I often count  my blessing of friendship that he brought  through his service . I'd  give it all up I a second for you to climb that hill with him . No doubt in my mind he is looking down and bragging about his little brother and all you have done in his honor .
  I agree, but life unfortunately doesn't work that way.  With death, comes life.  Aaron's passing has motivated me to be a more passionate hunter, but more importantly a better human.  I try to serve others more, and myself less (really hard :chuckle:).   It's strange that something as terrible as losing Aaron could bring such blessing to my life.  The friendships and the focus that it has brought to my life is the silver lining on an otherwise dark and stormy sky.

We are gonna tear that mountain apart buddy!!!! :tup:

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 10:18:40 PM »
Thanks to your brother and you for the sacrifices made.  Good luck with your permit and kill a giant.  :tup:

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 10:27:45 PM »
As always, we are so exited for you man. Thanks for sharing this with everyone!
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 10:28:42 PM »
No doubt you will get some karma points !
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Online carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 10:32:39 PM »
Wishing you all the best and hopefully a short blood trail to a giant bull.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 11:02:32 PM »
I'm excited to be at the edge and doing what I can to see you succeed.  Special menu when that wapiti hits the ground is coming out!

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 11:07:51 PM »
Best hunt of the year right here...  I know you will enjoy every minute of it even if in pain at times.   Super stoked for you and can't wait to see the results!  If there is anything I can do to help out just let me know..

Offline GoldenOscar

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 11:20:39 PM »
Looking forward to following this thread all the way to a big elk at the end!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]