collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: late pearrygin mule deer buck hunt  (Read 18922 times)

Offline 1961Wahunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • 3006 nw 151st street
late pearrygin mule deer buck hunt
« on: July 23, 2016, 10:37:40 PM »
I am New to the  forum ....I drew a late pearrygin mule deer buck hunt after 17 years of putting in for quality hunts ...
Does anyone have any personal experience with this hunt that would be willing to share Pics?, locations? etc?.....what class of deer to except? 180?....Hunt Nov 1st opening day of permit ? or hold out for the last week? does it make any difference??
I look forward to your input Thank you !!!

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: late pearrygin mule deer buck hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 10:46:24 PM »
 Congrats on the fantastic draw, welcome to the site.

FWIW, to maximize the experience of your good fortune, I'd forget about "score" and concentrate on locating a "mature" buck. Big frame, dark antlers and mass. If you find one of those, I'd say you have done well. :twocents:

Enjoy the scenery and numbers, you will see a lot, just don't set yourself up for disappointment, especially after waiting 17 years.

Good luck!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline 1961Wahunter

• Pilgrim
    • 3006 nw 151st street
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 08:04:51 AM »
Thank you yes it has been a long time ..That is exactly what I am looking for! Heavy black horn Mulie! around 12 years ago my brother a good friend and I took our sons on consecutive youth hunts Three years running..... FYI at that time it was any deer ,,,,unbelievable experience for our sons I wish every young hunter could experience that kind of success!!Lets just say us dads learned very quickly that it was best we left our rifles at home ...we were very busy packing .. I meet a gentleman up on first butte look out during those youth hunts. He told me a story that stuck with me all these years  He said " when there is 6" of snow here on first butte that in three days the " black horn mulies will be here  from as far north as Canada and in three more days They will be around Pearrygin Lake".... So yes I am looking at that class of Buck ...I have only hunted the Chewuch..and have never hunted Pearrygin. I am starting at square one ...Ant suggestions where to start would be greatly appreciated.. If i do not have a chance before my wife and I will be there scouting over labor day weekend ..
thank you for your reply

Offline samsqatch

• Tracker
  • Groups: Nra,Feild and stream
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 09:53:37 PM »
Drew the tag two years ago. Incredible hunt! Hunt the perrigin every year for general season. I will say its unbleavible from the time general season closes to the start of the late draw tag. I so so hunted with my family that year during general season and to add I drew the tag the year of the carlton complex fire. Did not see a whole lot to be excited over and became concerned that the fire may have made a mess for me the year I finally drew the tag. Came home for a week in a half and went back on nov 1st. Well all I can say is it was amazeing the diffrence a week in a half made. I was passing up bucks that any other year I would not even think twice about taking. I will say I noticed the deer were on the move and it seemed like the later the hunt got the less I seen in the areas I was hunting. I think that was due to lack of food that year because of the fire? Deer I would watch for a couple days would seem to move on to lower ground or into private property ( hay fields). I had the entire hunt -20 days to get the job done. Took a 31 inch 3 point on the 14 day. I passed on three other bucks early I should not have and like I said they ended up moving out of the area. Still Im very happy with the buck I took and can honestly say out of all the hunts I have ever been on none of them compare to the quality and number of deer I seen. Greatest hunt I have ever had.
 Good Luck!

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 11:22:02 AM »
Drew the tag two years ago. Incredible hunt! Hunt the perrigin every year for general season. I will say its unbleavible from the time general season closes to the start of the late draw tag. I so so hunted with my family that year during general season and to add I drew the tag the year of the carlton complex fire. Did not see a whole lot to be excited over and became concerned that the fire may have made a mess for me the year I finally drew the tag. Came home for a week in a half and went back on nov 1st. Well all I can say is it was amazeing the diffrence a week in a half made. I was passing up bucks that any other year I would not even think twice about taking. I will say I noticed the deer were on the move and it seemed like the later the hunt got the less I seen in the areas I was hunting. I think that was due to lack of food that year because of the fire? Deer I would watch for a couple days would seem to move on to lower ground or into private property ( hay fields). I had the entire hunt -20 days to get the job done. Took a 31 inch 3 point on the 14 day. I passed on three other bucks early I should not have and like I said they ended up moving out of the area. Still Im very happy with the buck I took and can honestly say out of all the hunts I have ever been on none of them compare to the quality and number of deer I seen. Greatest hunt I have ever had.
 Good Luck!

Post pics of that nasty 3 point!

Offline 3ShotMcgraw

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 11:31:28 AM »
 :yeah:

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
Congrats on a great tag! I would spend as many days as possible in their and hold out until you see a buck you HAVE to shoot, don't worry about the score, just find the one you will be happy with. 17 years of waiting is a long time, make the most of it.
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline 1961Wahunter

• Pilgrim
    • 3006 nw 151st street
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 12:16:20 PM »
Thank you all in sharing use full info.
Westside 88
Muley King
KirkL
Sam S.
I appreciate it very much !!!
Again thank you all !!
- I had a lot of questions when I started this hunt?
-Hunt early or late? Answer: Both prepared to hunt early and late or between ...Be flexible!
-Do Mature bucks act different ? come into wintering grounds later? etc?? Answer: yes they are like a different species Rut does improve your odds!
-I had more questions migration routes etc. I personally never experienced a flush of deer on a certain route wish I would have!
- Hunt High ? hunt Low? Answer: early saw bigger bucks up higher
Three Experiences I took away from hunt:
-Patience Do Not shoot a buck you wont be happy about. I told myself I did not need to shoot a deer I would rather go w/out filling my tag  than to shoot a buck I would not be happy with!
-Nerve racking passing up bucks awesome experience for a blacktail hunter!
- # 1 experience ! while gleaning and glassing antlers with questions like why don't I want to shoot a buck? Almost talking yourself into it. It all came together when I saw this Buck at 1200 yards and Glanced at with binos I knew this was a shooter!! That was the # 1 experience.

It was very nerve racking passing up bucks twice as big as I had ever taken..
scheduling time off off work then returning to work after scouting two days before the hunt and hunting one day ...FYI I was ready to leave by 10 AM the first morning of the season Nov 1..However because my brother traveled to help me we finished the first day and left before noon the second day ...First  I can say we passed 8 bucks however only one was worth a desperate second look.
Then up high in the snow line the second day I passed up a 4X5 that I thought about quite a bit afterwards. I had been texting Muley King, he said the best thing I could do was to be patient!! Not easy to do.  Somehow those words brought a bit of peace. I went back to work. Then on Nov 9th I was in Dayton, Washington on my wife's white tail hunt which did not end at that time. While in Dayton I heard from Muley King  that is the worse hunting they had seen in 15 years.  There was no weather pushing anything down. We left Dayton on Nov 11th,  I took my wife home and returned to Twisp on Nov 12th.   I arrived at 9 AM and immediately spotted a buck 3/4 mile across a ridge. After stalking him for one and a half miles, I walked up to him within 20 yards while he was still bedded down.  He did not know I was watching him,  he was a nice 4X5.  My gun said shoot,  my heart said hold off.  I let him walk.  Nov 13th I returned to the same area predawn and posted up glassing for approx 2 hours watching 5 bucks chasing over thirty does  anywhere from 200 yards to 3/4 of a mile away.  All of the bucks I was glassing needed to be skylined to really see their racks clearly with 10 power high end binos at that range. A gentlemen, Ron,  also a tag holder came into the area about  1.5 hours into my glassing session.  I invited  Ron and his son Devin to glass, and  since they knew the area I would bird dog for them that day because I had planned to hunt with an experienced hunter of the area the next day. So as we were straining through our optics to put a shootable rack on a buck . Ron said,  "Rick  you better check this out, " and at 1200 yards with my high end binos FYI the buck was not skylined I knew instantly this was a buck I wanted to shoot !!! A very unique feeling that I had never experienced hunting before that time.  I mentioned that Ron and Devin needed to make a hunt from above and I would push up from the bottom. The buck hung in a draw and Ron and Devin hand signaled after my 1 mile hike up from the bottom.   The buck  was approx 200 yards and trying to keep a pine tree between me and him quite successfully I might add.   However my 280 Ackley 140 Nosler BT caught up with him.
buck measured 30inches wide although he is not a 190 inch mule deer he has a 185 inch frame
any derived blacktail hunter would love to shoot a buck like this !! I am happy with him..

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:40:59 PM by 1961Wahunter »

Offline Quackaddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
Great buck! Way to put in the effort! Great to see this site help out like it should!

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 12:56:35 PM »
Congrats on a great end to a great hunt! That is a thing of beauty! Thank you for sharing it with us. Very nice  :tup:

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 01:07:51 PM »
I think that kicker is long enough to get him in the true 5 point thread. ;)

Great buck again.  :kneel:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Westside88

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 01:17:58 PM »
I happen to know how much effort you put in to eventually take this beautiful Buck. Definitely made the whole process from start to finish a lifetime memory.  :tup:

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 01:25:57 PM »
Great buck.  Congratulations.  It's very tough watching bucks walk but can be worth it!
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 01:30:35 PM »
That is a awesome buck!!
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »
great buck! :tup:
Thanks for sharing the story!
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]