collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rabbit Hunting this fall  (Read 12421 times)

Offline Trapper John

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
Rabbit Hunting this fall
« on: July 27, 2016, 04:38:57 PM »

Hi Guys,   :hello:
I was thinking about going over to eastern Washington this fall to hunt some rabbits (cottontail).
Anyone here have any advice where to go?  I have no dog, I'll be doing some walking.
JC   :hello:

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Rabbit Hunting this fall
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 10:24:05 PM »
This seems to be a bumper year for rabbits.  They are pretty much everywhere right now.  I have seen them in eastern WA, western WA, up around the pass, everywhere.  I can't think of anyplace I haven't seen them.  You shouldn't have a hard time finding them.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:26:57 AM »
I was up behind Greenwater the other day christening a new Buckmark pistol... after I loaded another magazine I took a few more shots and one of them popped out about 10 feet from my target. Nicest rabbit I've seen in awhile... if only it was September I'd be telling you how it tasted  :drool:

I always see tons of rabbits on the westside every year. I usually see a limits worth or maybe a little less a day. I don't think you gotta drive to the eastside for them  :twocents:

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 09:35:22 AM »
Cant wait to do some rabbit hunting this year :tup:  A stupid question, will the snowshoes come back to the same spot like cottontails or do they leave the county like Jackrabbits?  Plan on targeting the Snowshoes this year as I have never done that. 
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline KP-Skagit

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 10:21:38 AM »
A friend of mine hunts hares quite a bit up in Alaska. I joined in this last year and with no dog and a foot of fresh snow it was not an easy hunt. Terrain was pretty thick but invariably we found ourselves tracking multiple sets of rabbit tracks while walking in our own boot tracks. So I guess the long and the short of it is hares like cottontails circle and return to the same place. There was also a very big one (I'd bet pushing 10 pounds) in the area we hunted that we always saw within 20 yards of the same snag. He always alluded us and earned the title King Bunny.

Offline seth30

• Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 11:13:18 AM »
A friend of mine hunts hares quite a bit up in Alaska. I joined in this last year and with no dog and a foot of fresh snow it was not an easy hunt. Terrain was pretty thick but invariably we found ourselves tracking multiple sets of rabbit tracks while walking in our own boot tracks. So I guess the long and the short of it is hares like cottontails circle and return to the same place. There was also a very big one (I'd bet pushing 10 pounds) in the area we hunted that we always saw within 20 yards of the same snag. He always alluded us and earned the title King Bunny.
  Thanks for the intel on that :tup Its nice to get some pointers on new game :IBCOOL:
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline Trapper John

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 08:10:30 PM »

Thanks guys.
I see rabbits everywhere over here in western Washington.  The problem is where I'm seeing them are around houses and places where there are no many cars all of the time to even pull over.

I was thinking about taking a round trip over somewhere in eastern Washington for a weekend and bagging a pile of them.

I was over in Soap Lake last weekend and a women said to me that she wishes those coyotes would eat more rabbits because she said their all over the place over there.  I might have to give this area a try this fall and see if I can fill up my freezer with them.  I know where there are a lot of snowshoe hares, but their a tough piece of meat unless you leave them in a crock pot all day.  I would like to get some cottontails.

Anybody know of some other places in eastern Washington?

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
  • Groups: Huntersofwashington
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 12:40:51 PM »
I'm hunting a clover plot I put in earlier this Year, I have about 14 decent sized rabbits using it every day. I think I'm going to go rabbit hunting and then go deer hunting.  :)
...suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope...

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline Trapper John

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »
I'm hunting a clover plot I put in earlier this Year, I have about 14 decent sized rabbits using it every day. I think I'm going to go rabbit hunting and then go deer hunting.  :)

Sounds like a plan to me.  Clover feed rabbits ........................ yuuuuuummy
JC   :tup:

Offline huntsman_trev

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 11:28:52 PM »
I was up behind Greenwater the other day christening a new Buckmark pistol... after I loaded another magazine I took a few more shots and one of them popped out about 10 feet from my target. Nicest rabbit I've seen in awhile... if only it was September I'd be telling you how it tasted  :drool:

I always see tons of rabbits on the westside every year. I usually see a limits worth or maybe a little less a day. I don't think you gotta drive to the eastside for them  :twocents:
FS 70??

Offline HuntinCrazy

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 12:36:12 AM »
West side rabits are thick this year. I see 5-8 every day and this one this evening. Guessed it to be 18 yds and WACK.....with a blunt. Devastating  wound. :yike:
I guess Should be able to hit a deer  :tup:

Offline IslandStorm62

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 10:08:28 AM »
I was out deer hunting saw a cottontail on the road.  I mentioned this to another hunter and also stated that I wished I had my .22 Buckmark, I would have shot the critter for dinner.  Anyway, the hunter commented that those are full of worms, so why would I want to take one.  In any case, I have heard that hunting rabbits should be done only after the snow has started to fall, because of some virus or "worms"; I am not to clear on that.

So, can any or all of you professional longtime bunny hunters give me the ground truth?  I can't imaging hunting bunnies for meat is that dangerous.

If I get the warm and fuzzy, I think I will make it a point to start hunting them & grouse in September...

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 06:51:47 PM »
I was out deer hunting saw a cottontail on the road.  I mentioned this to another hunter and also stated that I wished I had my .22 Buckmark, I would have shot the critter for dinner.  Anyway, the hunter commented that those are full of worms, so why would I want to take one.  In any case, I have heard that hunting rabbits should be done only after the snow has started to fall, because of some virus or "worms"; I am not to clear on that.

So, can any or all of you professional longtime bunny hunters give me the ground truth?  I can't imaging hunting bunnies for meat is that dangerous.

If I get the warm and fuzzy, I think I will make it a point to start hunting them & grouse in September...

I was always taught to hunt rabbits during fall and winter and leave them during spring and summer due to the parasites they have during the warmer months. Has held up pretty well for us thus far. To the OP, to be honest man... just drive up into the hills really early morning just as its getting light or just as its getting dark. About the same time you would consider to be that "magic hour" for deer. We always end up shooting rabbits during those times while our deer hunting. Blunt tips work great, 22 lr works great, 17 hmr is killer, anything from a 410 to a 12 gauge works, and 7mm mag... can confirm works. there was no head left but the rest of the rabbit was good lol. I usually carry a blunt tipped arrow with my bow and both a 17 hmr and a 12 gauge for grouse and rabbits. My buddy brings his 16 gauge. Got to say.. I LOVE the 16 gauge now.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »
I'd always heard that too, but turns out it's bogus.   Cold weather doesn't kill the parasites or do anything else to the rabbit other than increase calorie demands which if the rabbits are sick may not be able to meet the demands of staying warm.

Tulerma doesn't survive cooking, so wearing gloves and not picking your nose while cleaning a rabbit would prevent getting Tulerma yourself.

TULAREMIA (Rabbit Fever)

Tularemia is a bacterial disease that can affect both animals and people. Many wild animals are infected, especially rabbits (snowshoe hare) and rodents (muskrats and beavers). The clinical signs of disease in wildlife are not always present or easily recognized. Infected rabbits may run slowly, appear tame or in a stupor, stagger and are easily captured. Carcasses can have white spots scattered throughout the liver.

There are several ways tularemia can be transmitted or spread to people from animals. The most common way is from contact of bare skin or mucous membranes (skin around the nose, eyes, and mouth) with animal blood or tissue while handling (dressing or skinning) infected wild animals. This includes handling and eating insufficiently cooked meat. Tularemia can also be spread by some external parasites (ticks and deer flies). Less common means are inhaling dust from contaminated soil, drinking from contaminated water or handling contaminated pelts or paws of animals.

In people, the clinical symptoms of illness depend upon the method tularemia was spread. Skin infections, especially around fingernails, and swollen glands are the usual symptoms of disease as a result of improper handling of infected animals. Ingestion or eating the organism may produce a throat infection, diarrhea and vomiting. Inhaling the organism may produce a fever and pneumonia-like illness.

Take the following precautions to help prevent the transmission of tularemia and other diseases:

Follow animal-handling precautions. Wear waterproof gloves, wash your hands and prevent skin contact.
Thoroughly cook meat (well-done).
Prevent insect bites.
Do not drink from untreated water sources such as lakes, streams and rivers.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:33:22 PM by KFhunter »

Offline tritt007

• youngin
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 07:49:46 PM »
Always heard to look at the liver  and if it has black spots don't eat it . Any insight on this ?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security  -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 07:53:54 PM »

I was thinking about going over to eastern Washington this fall to hunt some rabbits (cottontail).
Anyone here have any advice where to go?  I have no dog, I'll be doing some walking.

We are at the cyclic high for rabbits in my area. Walk old sagebrush 4x4 roads and you should do well.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 02:52:45 PM »
Always heard to look at the liver  and if it has black spots don't eat it . Any insight on this ?
I would assume any abnormailities would be a good sign to not eat it. Most stuff will cook out but better safe than sorry imo. I have shot a few out of my parents property with a pellet rifle that had lumps all over their bodies. Never checked to see if it was tumors or something else. Hit a chipmunk last year with my truck, by accident, went back to check on him and he had large bumps all over with openings. Put on gloves and squeezed one and a HUGE larva came out. Looked like a botfly larva I have seen on youtube videos but I can't confirm. Made me rethink cleaning rabbit and grouse with my bare hands.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 04:34:52 PM »
I'd always heard that too, but turns out it's bogus.   Cold weather doesn't kill the parasites or do anything else to the rabbit other than increase calorie demands which if the rabbits are sick may not be able to meet the demands of staying warm.

Tulerma doesn't survive cooking, so wearing gloves and not picking your nose while cleaning a rabbit would prevent getting Tulerma yourself.

TULAREMIA (Rabbit Fever)

Tularemia is a bacterial disease that can affect both animals and people. Many wild animals are infected, especially rabbits (snowshoe hare) and rodents (muskrats and beavers). The clinical signs of disease in wildlife are not always present or easily recognized. Infected rabbits may run slowly, appear tame or in a stupor, stagger and are easily captured. Carcasses can have white spots scattered throughout the liver.

There are several ways tularemia can be transmitted or spread to people from animals. The most common way is from contact of bare skin or mucous membranes (skin around the nose, eyes, and mouth) with animal blood or tissue while handling (dressing or skinning) infected wild animals. This includes handling and eating insufficiently cooked meat. Tularemia can also be spread by some external parasites (ticks and deer flies). Less common means are inhaling dust from contaminated soil, drinking from contaminated water or handling contaminated pelts or paws of animals.

In people, the clinical symptoms of illness depend upon the method tularemia was spread. Skin infections, especially around fingernails, and swollen glands are the usual symptoms of disease as a result of improper handling of infected animals. Ingestion or eating the organism may produce a throat infection, diarrhea and vomiting. Inhaling the organism may produce a fever and pneumonia-like illness.

Take the following precautions to help prevent the transmission of tularemia and other diseases:

Follow animal-handling precautions. Wear waterproof gloves, wash your hands and prevent skin contact.
Prevent insect bites.

Did you ever see any health issues with your domestic meat rabbits?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 05:31:42 PM »

We are at the cyclic high for rabbits in my area. Walk old sagebrush 4x4 roads and you should do well.
for sure. I see probably 10 every morning. I had 6 in my yards a couple nights ago
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »

TULAREMIA (Rabbit Fever)

Prevent insect bites.

Nope, all was clean and I disinfected the hutch every so often with bleach solution then pressure washed it out.  I had a bunch of cages I could hold the rabbits in while doing so. 
Any new rabbits were quarantined away from the main hutch, plus I didn't get a lot of outside interaction with rabbits as you would in the show world, so I never seen any pasturella. 

Lost a buck to heat, was on the sunnier side of the hutch.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 02:03:11 PM »

TULAREMIA (Rabbit Fever)

Prevent insect bites.

Nope, all was clean and I disinfected the hutch every so often with bleach solution then pressure washed it out.  I had a bunch of cages I could hold the rabbits in while doing so. 
Any new rabbits were quarantined away from the main hutch, plus I didn't get a lot of outside interaction with rabbits as you would in the show world, so I never seen any pasturella. 

Lost a buck to heat, was on the sunnier side of the hutch.

That's great. So far we're disease free here 3+years now. Starting to help a buddy with raising meat rabbits recently. They're beasts. I see more issues with disease from folks who let their rabbits run around in the grass. They pick up all kinds of stuff from that.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 04:24:45 PM »
A lot of the rabbits by our place start to thin out by hunting season it seems. I think it's the yotes.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 08:38:14 PM »
A lot of the rabbits by our place start to thin out by hunting season it seems. I think it's the yotes.
I know a quick way to fix that issue lol! We started clearing coyotes out of my parents place and the rabbits have come back pretty strong. 8 coyotes in a little over a year off the property just from my father looking into the pasture and catching one moving through. Mossberg mvp varmin in .223/5.56 topped with a 3-9 scope and 55 gr bullets take care of them really quick!

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 09:16:08 PM »
I've grown up running rabbits with beagles and still do.  I start hunting when season opens in September and eat every rabbit I kill.  I can assume the frost comment is related to warbles which I have seen on rabbits and squirrels in my past but never here in Washington State.  They were prevalent in Tennessee, West Virginia, Missouri and Illinois when I was a kid though and I was always told the same thing, only hunt after the first hard frost.

I only hunt rabbits on the West Side so I can't comment on warbles or other parasites on the East Side.

Andy

Offline Crow

• Pilgrim
  • It takes a sinner to be a saint
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 05:43:01 AM »
Been trying to find myself these little critters for the last two years with no luck. Both times out by Soap Lake. I want to head out there again this year, this time after the snow falls.

If anyone would care to join me, wouldn't mind having a companion (especially if they know what they're doing).

Relatively new to hunting and trying to gain knowledge.
Sir James Gregory

Offline WaHunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 10:34:54 PM »
Never gutted a rabbit, but I believe you want to watch for white spots on the liver for both tularemia and coccidiosis. Although, I imagine black spots on a liver shouldn't be ignored either. I would stay away from anything with a sick looking liver.

I'm looking to get into rabbit hunting, too. Anyone have any luck spotting rabbits in the southern half of region 4?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]