collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3rd Annual - 2017 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (success)  (Read 42967 times)

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: 3rd Annual - 2017 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (success)
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2017, 11:51:29 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2017, 12:53:52 PM »
Another great bird Reagan, Congrats. Love the story and good shooting!!

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2017, 02:17:19 PM »
Outstanding!!!!! :IBCOOL:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2017, 02:22:52 PM »
Great job everyone.  What an amazing experience so many contributed to.   :tup:
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2017, 02:25:39 PM »
Awesome. Happy to read the stories and see the pics. Congrats to all involved!!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »
The mod team has decided to name this youth hunt the Annual "Iceman" Memorial Youth Turkey Hunt in memory of Kevin "Iceman" Wolfe. Kevin was one of our moderators, he loved taking his kids hunting and really was an ardent proponent of outdoor family activities, this seems like a great way to remember Kevin. Chris (Nock_Nock) at Willy's Log Furniture made and donated a plaque in memory of Iceman, it arrived just in time for hunt photos, thanks so much Chris.

It was a pleasure meeting you Reagan, you were fun to hunt with and really did a great job!  :hello:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline D-Rock425

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
Awesome.

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2017, 04:28:59 PM »
Well done. Thank you for getting kids out in the woods!
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2017, 07:46:03 PM »
Gringo, that last pic in your post #120, says it all. 
Congrats again to the young lady!!!
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2017, 08:51:16 PM »
Gringo, here are a few more pics from my camera. I'll text you the originals so you have them.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2017, 08:29:48 AM »
The mod team has decided to name this youth hunt the Annual "Iceman" Memorial Youth Turkey Hunt in memory of Kevin "Iceman" Wolfe. Kevin was one of our moderators, he loved taking his kids hunting and really was an ardent proponent of outdoor family activities, this seems like a great way to remember Kevin. Chris (Nock_Nock) at Willy's Log Furniture made and donated a plaque in memory of Iceman, it arrived just in time for hunt photos, thanks so much Chris.

It was a pleasure meeting you Reagan, you were fun to hunt with and really did a great job!  :hello:

Perfect.

@NOCK NOCK  Can't thank you enough for your generosity. That plaque turned out awesome. I look forward to seeing pics of it every year for years to come.
@bearpaw  Thanks for donating these hunts to the kids. Their smiles make it all worthwhile I bet.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2017, 08:41:39 AM »
Awesome, well done by all.  :tup:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2017, 08:49:47 AM »
I really like the photo with Reagan in her "I shoot like a girl" shirt and the Iceman Memorial plaque.  :tup:
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2017, 09:55:09 AM »
I'm not sure where to start when it comes to my thoughts on this whole thing.  These type of events leave their mark forever.  There are so many pieces to it from all the people who are 99% only known by a handle doing things for people they'll probably never meet.  It makes you realize the value or specialness of this forum.  Yes, there are pain in the backside parts I'm sure.....but this trip was just incredible. 

Reagan is fortunate enough to have been exposed to much things related to hunting.  She has shot her portion of sage rats, rock chucks and may have finished off a coyote or two.  She's sat in coyote stands with me but has only been a patient observer for the most part.  I'm a divorced man (who is now remarried) and the time I get with my 3 children is 99.9% of the time with them all together.  This is the first trip her and I have spent just one on one.  That alone creates "cause for pause".  It's easy for me to get that stuck in my thoughts and just ponder.....

So.... for her to pass her hunters safety (like she mentioned) was a big deal.  I realize the pass rate is extremely high but I didn't let that on.  With the money that had been donated for gear, I opted to use it to buy her a youth model shotgun vs buying clothes that wouldn't fit in no time.  So a Rem 870 20 ga synthetic was purchased by me.  I told her that if she failed hunters ed, it stayed mine....but if she passed it would be hers.  (As I would be reimbursed from the kind folks who donated money for this event)  With that purchase, there was a little left over for some clothing that should fit her awhile.

Her story is accurate and there isn't much to add.  I love the part about sneaking into the blind to not wake up the turkeys above our heads.  Dale is a kind and patient man.  While typing I just remembered something she said driving home yesterday so I'll go ahead and share this  :chuckle: I'll try to quote the best I can.  She said, "That other guy Brian, when I first saw him he looked kinda grouchy, but after I was around him some, he's really nice!  Some people just have grouchy faces I guess".  That still makes me laugh  :chuckle: :chuckle:

I know I'm all over the place with this post but so is my mind.  There are so many things/lessons to learn out hunting.  It is about who you spend it with vs what you harvest or how big it is/score etc.  Memories for a lifetime, pictures to cement those memories.  Lessons on patience, the taste of victory/success/ or lessons from being unsuccessful and a desire to improve/master a skill.  At one point on day 1 after she killed her tom, 4 jakes walked up the road and passed us within 5 feet.  After they passed (maybe an hour later) she said, "I should have shot one of those jakes".  Later that night I asked her again if she felt the same way, and now she was glad she didn't as she had the next day in front of her.  Again, lessons.....  I was able to explain to her last night while tucking her in, part of the heritage/tradition of hunting and that she was now a part of it.  That for 1000's of years this has been going on and now she gets to be a genuine part of it vs the observer.  That after the hunt, people gather and stories are told over and over.  That tomorrow when she see her mom, she'll be able to share those stories and that you'll also want to hear stories from other hunters as well.  Often, when I say these things, she doesn't say anything, she'll just reach up and give me a hug.  Well, to this dad, that says it all  :tup:

So.....thank you all who were part of this.  You've made your mark.  The confidence this can build in these young ones I don't think is possible to quantify, let alone providing a shotgun she'll have the rest of her life and may even pass on to her kids.  Not that as parents we think our kids will get into any real trouble, a favorite line I from a judge (not in a court setting) is, "You keep those kids in the woods and out of my court" carries some weight.  Kids will find things to do with free time.  If we can curb the desire of what they WANT to do by building up experiences like this.......this world will be a better place......and just might be possible, one turkey at a time  :chuckle: :tup:

Gringo
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »
That's a great statement! :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]