collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Man kills bear with a spear......."GRAPHIC VIDEO"  (Read 23630 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Man kills bear with a spear......."GRAPHIC VIDEO"
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2016, 12:27:57 PM »
So, you've pretty much proven my point. If they didn't have this video, they'd have another. 15 year old girl shoots a giraffe. Someone arrows an elk. I don't care what it is, MSNBC will find something that's meant to shock the non-hunting world. The only solution is to never post a video or a picture of a kill on social media ever again. I'm unwilling to follow that.

I don't see how I have proven your point. In fact you seem to have changed your position in that you agree certain types of videos are far more offensive to the public and effectively used by anti-hunting groups to sway public opinion.

I don't care if a 15 year old girl shoots a giraffe. But why post it online? It just feeds anti-hunting groups. I don't see a good trade-off here. What is the gain in sharing it publicly? Ego gratification? I'm not going to help anti-hunting groups just for my own ego. 

This hunter showed a clear lack of tact. Now his wife lost her sponsor and spear hunting is now banned in the area. And what was gained?

You seem to think that the only option is to never post videos. That isn't true at all. The key is to not post videos that will make headlines. This guy knew a spear-cam would make headlines which is why he did it.

I wish we lived in a world where these videos could be posted without ramifications but that simply isn't the way things are. We need to be wise about dealing with anti-hunting groups. There are trade-offs to everything and I don't see a good trade-off in making these videos public.

I haven't changed my position. It's clear to me that no matter what hunting is posted, internet shaming will take place and ignorant people will weigh in on something about which they know nothing. My intent was not to call you out. It's clear that you and I have different views of what happened here.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2016, 12:56:05 PM »
I haven't changed my position. It's clear to me that no matter what hunting is posted, internet shaming will take place and ignorant people will weigh in on something about which they know nothing. My intent was not to call you out. It's clear that you and I have different views of what happened here.

All hunting videos do not have equal weight with the public. Duck Dynasty was a popular show and there there wasn't headline-making outrage over ducks or squirrels being killed on video. Any Robertson could release a video of duck hunting tomorrow and no one would care. However if a Robertson killed one with a baseball bat it would probably make headlines even if it was a humane kill and more humane than how chickens are processed. None of that matters. People would watch the video while eating a chicken sandwich and get offended. This is an emotional issue and there is a line that does not need to be crossed. Spear-cams and videos of kids hunting giraffes definitely cross that line. This guy knew he was crossing the line and didn't care about how it might affect the image of hunting. He should have kept the video private instead of using it to promote his youtube channel.

In my home state of Florida they just cancelled the bear hunt because of public opinion. How is the spear-cam video going to help Florida bear hunters make their case? It should't be connected but unfortunately it will be entirely connected. The MSM will bring up the spear-cam video next time the Florida bear hunt is debated. This is what they do and they are boringly predictably when trying to demean all hunters with a completely irrelevant case.

Animals like bears and wolves fall into a different category with the public. Hunters that want to support the image of hunting should not release videos that they know will feed the anti-hunting groups. Anything involving bears or wolves should be handled with tact to not cause further problems for hunters in states like Florida. Releasing these types of videos is what anti-hunting groups want. They can't change public opinion by showing videos of deer being hit by bullets or ducks falling from the sky. They need bear spearing and giraffe killing videos.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2016, 12:59:18 PM »
I got it the first time. Thanks.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2016, 02:17:14 PM »
....And the antiswon

Wife of hunter who killed bear with a 7ft homemade spear is fired by her Under Armour sponsors over horrifying video

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3748486/Wife-hunter-killed-bear-7ft-homemade-spear-fired-Armour-sponsors-horrifying-video.html#ixzz4HobSWk4P
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »
I'm with JLS and konradcountry

This is a shock video the Bowmars released and it cost them dearly, cost the hunting community as well. 
And personally it cost me because now I don't want to buy any UA products. 

I'd rather support a sportswear company that supports all forms of hunting.

Offline WAnoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2016, 03:24:50 PM »
It's funny how much anti's harass us or say we are not real men or women when we use a rifle or high powered compound bow. But this guy does it in almost the oldest method possible and still gets shunned. Hunting will never please everyone and there will always be haters.

I had an anti hunter asked me why I didn't just get my meat at the supermarket since it was already wrapped in plastic.... :yike:
AK 907

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2016, 04:32:11 PM »
I have no problem with the method of take. He obviously was well prepared for the hunt. Too bad he wasn't as prepared to act as an ambassador for hunters than he did. IMO he acted like a self absorbed fool, and showing intestines on the track showed a complete lack of awareness of the audience this would end up in front of.

Yup. Method of take is not a problem. Was as clean as most bow kills.

But I'm curious about his claim of no backup? The guy who first showed up to the kill with him certainly was packing backup. And I'd be surprised if any guide on a bear hunt was not packing backup. Otherwise, if something went south and the bear attacked, the guide would be liable. 

No, the method of kill I have no problem with. But this guy seems very self promoting. He's not promoting hunting, but his own "greatness".

A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »
Well I'm not overly impressed or think it some great feat he speared this bear.  The bear knew he was there but couldn't care less it was so used to people.  It's like fishing in a chicken patch with a homemade lead pipe jig and being amazed you caught a small halibut. The chicken patch had been chummed for years.

These bear have been mass baited for so long they're completely used to people being there, heck you could probably slap one on the rump if it wouldn't slap you back  :chuckle:

so ya #yawn  he spear chucked a bear at 6 paces then was stupid enough to show it to mass media.  We hunters need to learn a little butt kissing as we hunt at the publics' discretion. 

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2016, 04:58:30 PM »
To UA's response-
"Concerns: Zimmerman said he was, however, concerned about untrained people trying spear-hunting on a whim. Pictured: The view down the shaft of Bowmar's spear. Ethical: Todd Zimmerling, president of the Alberta Conservation Association, said that while so long as the kill was quick, spears could be 'ethical' - but was concerned about copycats."

.. I can't grasp that. A hunting brand ends someone's spouse's career because they're worried about COPYCATS?? How is that even a logical reason when ANY method of hunting can produce "untrained" copycats? I've been following the Bowmars on IG since Eva Shockey posts a lot about them. I'm curious if other UA sponsored friends of theirs will stick up for them, or no because of fear of being pulled as well.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2016, 05:12:51 PM »
That's a pretty weak and untrue response.  Makes me not like UA even more.

Offline curlewkiller

• Hunter
  • God's Country
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2016, 06:33:19 PM »
Regardless of the shock value of the video that was a clean kill with great skill.  Impressive and obviously practiced a bunch.  UA will not be on me or my family from now on.
"It is better to have people think you are stupid than post on hunting-washington.com and remove all doubt"

Offline WAnoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2016, 06:44:13 PM »
Regardless of the shock value of the video that was a clean kill with great skill.  Impressive and obviously practiced a bunch.  UA will not be on me or my family from now on.

I never got the hype with their hunting clothes? They didn't seem that well made compared to sitka, first lite or Kuiu. All of their regular gym clothes seem to fall apart like Nike in a short amount of time.
AK 907

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2016, 11:01:41 PM »
I've never thought much of their products, except for the heat gear stuff I wore in Iraq. Their quality doesn't match the price, in my opinion. I like them a whole lot less, now, because they have no spine.

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2016, 03:39:52 AM »
Did my post get moderated and if so why? Didn't think I posted anything offensive at all.
If it got lost then here once again. I didn't see anything wrong with the video, not my kind of tea, but meh. As sporting as anything I guess. I hate it when the antis make all kinds of statements like "Oh big man kill a animal how about kill something that can kill you back" etc...  They yell when you use a gun they yell when you use old fashioned archery, all they time they yell.
But yet they will make shows like naked and afraid where people go to some spot in the woods or jungle naked and live off the land for a while. the people there have to use spears or other types of hunting tools they make or scrounge, but yet one man does it here it's all up in the air  :bash:
My point on the naked and afraid is that the liberals and antis are all wanting us to go back to nature etc... by showing all these dumb survival shows, but yet gripe over this.
Seems like my other one was smaller than this one but...
so yea if it was please tell me and if not then it must have been lost.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2016, 02:35:28 PM »
Csaa nothing has been removed, are you talking about your response in this thread? http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,199935.msg2655573.html#msg2655573

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]